NaNoWriMo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Tatiana
    @belegteleri
      • Total Posts: 97

So, I have decided to try my hand at NaNoWriMo this year! Yay for me! I’m just curious if anyone else will be doing it and if you have any tips. I found a great website with a clear “pre-writing” outline that I’m following right now. Here’s the link: http://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/6-tasks-youll-love-yourself-for-checking-off-your-nano-pre-writing-list/

Like I said, I would love to know which of my fellow writers will be writing along with me next month! Please let me know, and if you’ve attempted it before, your tips and tricks for surviving November will be greatly appreciated!

David B. Hunter
      @dbhgodreigns
        • Total Posts: 89

I’m doing NaNo! Are you on the YWP program site?

Tips, well here’s one I started to use after NaNoWriMo that helps productivity. Set an alarm and just write until the alarm sounds. Also, if you’re using a word processor, try to use the option that blocks out all other distractions. Not sure if Word has that, but Scrivener does, and that’s what I use.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

I’ve never done it, but I might try next year. Let me know how it goes.

All I have to say is exercise. Stay active. It will help you concentrate.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Tatiana
          @belegteleri

@David: I am not on the YWP site. I’ll check it out ASAP! Thanks for the alarm tip. I’ll be sure to try it out!

@Daeus
            : Thank you and I will! I never thought about exercising to help me concentrate with writing. I guess it makes sense though, not being so sluggish and wishy-washy.

Tatiana
            @belegteleri

@David: You don’t have to be signed up through YWP to participate in NaNo, I hope? It would be a lot easier for me to do it independently. I don’t see why I would need to sign up to do it.

Just curious.

David B. Hunter
              @dbhgodreigns

No, but if you were, I was going to friend you. 🙂 Last year if you won NaNoWriMo you received a code good for five copies of your book from CreateSpace if you redeemed it by June. I’m not sure if they are doing that again this year.

Hannah
                @aella
                  • Total Posts: 160

@Tatiana,
                  I will be doing NaNoWriMo this year along with you! Cheers to you!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Hannah.
                  Ivy Rose
                  @ivy-rose
                    • Total Posts: 102

I’m doing NaNo! This is my first year as well…I’m a little nervous. 🙂 I’m not signed up with the young writers program, but should I be @David? What are the difference between that and the regular one?

David B. Hunter
                    @dbhgodreigns

Basically, you can only join the YWP if you’re seventeen and under, or maybe eighteen. The YWP is more “child-friendly” than the adult site.

Amanda Fischer
                      @wordfitlyspoken
                        • Total Posts: 79

I’m doing it…sort of. You see, I haven’t been writing too much recently, and 50k is waaay too much for me to realistically tackle with that and my new job and school and all that. However, I’m teaching a class of 3rd-5th graders at my homeschool co-op, and they’re participating with their own stories, so what kind of teacher just watches them slave away without writing herself? 😉 So I’ll be shooting for 25k on the rewrite I’m working on.

Tatiana
                        @belegteleri

Yay, @IvyRose! Good luck for us both! I’m so excited!

@Amanda: Those lucky 3rd-5th graders! I wish I had something like that at their age! Good luck with your story!

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy
                            • Total Posts: 3976

Can I ask a question?

What exactly IS NaNoWriMo? I know it’s basically when you try to write 50,000 words in one month, but what IS it? Where did it get its start? Is it a competition? Is it a curriculum?
                            I’ve only just really recently started hanging out with other writers (primarily on this forum and a few blogs) and I’ve heard some great stuff about this, but I want to know just what exactly it is.

And isn’t 50,000 words a little too… um… small? Are you allowed to go over that? 😛

Any answers will be appreciated.

David B. Hunter
                            @dbhgodreigns

Yeah, basically (at least in the YWP program) you set your goal and try to hit it by the end of the month. You could definitely surpass your goal. The whole idea is to challenge yourself and up your productivity. I’m aiming for 30,000.

Good luck if you join!

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy
                                • Total Posts: 3976

Thanks David. I’ve got it now.

David B. Hunter
                                @dbhgodreigns

You’re welcome. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >