My Series Keeps Growing!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy My Series Keeps Growing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

(Warning. Long and chaotic post. You’ve been warned.)

HA WELLLLLLL…..

ahem. As the title above states…my series keeps expanding…which is a good thing. As you probably know, being writers yourselves, when you have something you’re passionate about that you’ve been working on for a number of years (I believe I’ve been working on this now at least for 2 years) your heart is in it. And when your heart is in it your mind and imagination is fully invested THUS you keep having new ideas as the months go by.

As this happens, thru our normal writer journeys of taking breaks from said project, writer burn out, drafting, editing, moving to a different project, etc, you get new ideas for your stories.

and you get those AHA and OH MAN THAT IS AWESOME and I AM ACTUALLY AN AUTHOR WHAAAAAT moments.

Anywhoo…when that happens, it can change a lot of your story, right? Right. So I’ve been having those moments with my Destined series, my 7 book long fantasy series.

the series that was supposed to only be seven books long.

until THIS HAPPENED.

and THIS is why I am here. Wondering if anyone else has gone thru this and/or has any advice lol.

As of right now, I have a sorta zero draft and a sorta first draft of Project DM. The first book of my destined series.

or so I thought was the first book. But I have now realized DM is not the first book. And the beginning of DM, and the rest of DM needs to be SPLIT INTO SEPARATE  BOOKS.

oh and also the beginning has changed too….so that happened…

HAHAHAHAHA *slowly sinks into author madness*

Ahem. This happened the other day when I had the AHA moment that the beginning was going to be entirely different, and because of that was going to be longer. And because it’s going to be longer, it no longer fits with the Cirque storyline of DM, thus it needs its own book….

THAT IS NOT COMPLICATED AT ALL FOR SOMEONE WHO ALREADY HAD A ZERO DRAFT AND FIRST DRAFT WRITTEN AND WAS IN THE PROCESS OF WRITING AN OUTLINE FOR DM

*sucks in breath*

ok ok. In all seriousness, I’m actually super excited about this XD, and I know it’s for the best, but…has anyone else gone thru this before??? And did ANY OF THAT MAKE SENSE?!?! also any advice/encouragement would be cool too lol

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        Koshka
        @koshka
          • Total Posts: 1424

@godlyfantasy12

Haha, that’s awesome! (Author madness: That’s a wonderfully perfect description of my mind)

Sort of. At least, so far I don’t intend to actually write any of it into a separate book, which means most of it no one but my family will have to listen to. HOGHOS is partially the retaking of an overthrown kingdom, so of course I have created the entire story of the overthrow. It’s a plot in itself which I’m trying not to write as it’s own book.

We’ll see who wins, the Rational or Mad Author.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Koshka. Reason: Repeated word

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Annabelle
          @annabelle
            • Total Posts: 108

@godlyfantasy12

So I didn’t quite get exactly everything you were saying… LOL… but I think I understand a little bit. So you had a story all written out, and then you had all these AMAZING ideas and had to change everything. Was that right?

Okay, so if what I’m understanding is correct, then yes, I have gone through that before, actually quite recently. I was super far along through my book and had even started writing the second and third books in the series. I had already finished my final draft and was ready to publish the first book in the series. Then, I had a cascade of random ideas rain down on me, and they made my book SO MUCH BETTER. But now… I have a whole bunch more editing to do because I just rewrote the first five chapters of the book. xD So I just wish I’d had those ideas when I was just starting to write my story, not when I was finished with it.

Or thought I was finished with it.

Anyway, that created more work for me, but I think it was worth it because it made my books a lot better.

In the words of Jinto Queb, "Hurry, reading is fun!"

Elishavet Pidyon
            @elishavet-pidyon
              • Total Posts: 1013

@godlyfantasy12

Oh, I understand all toperfectly. The ideas are great, because they make the story DEEPER and STRONGER and just overall BETTER. Or so the scrambling author hopes.

I have a problem with developing my side characters into MCs.

Then I have to add another book to the rapidly-becoming-a-series-but-was-originally-a-novel.

And I’m still in first draft/plotting of the original book.

Then as a final stumbling block, I become estranged to my first MC and can’t quite remember what was so wonderful about said character.

Oof.

But some good has come out of this. For instance, in my allegorical series I had started with the story of a young girl whose father was executed for supposed treason. Then I wondered why a man wholely dedicated to the King would be called a traitor. And also how he could have been a serf turned knight.

Soon I was thinking: “Wow, this fellow’s testimony would make a great story! I wonder if I should write a short story about it?”

And now Aethel, my original MC, has only one book in the trilogy. How is this good? Well, honestly, Alwin(Aethel’s father) is a much more interesting character than Aethel, and he has a more complete story. Now, Aethel’s story has time to flesh out while I price together her parents’. (Yes that is plural. Her mother is doing the same thing.)

So yeah, it is exciting when these Aha! moments come along, and it probably means good thing eventually, even if a lot more work will be involved.

lot more work. But, hey, don’t the best things involve just that?

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12

@elishavet-pidyon @koshka @annabelle

Glad I’m not alone then!! Speaking of how’s everyone’s WIPs going? And sorry I forgot but what does HOGHOS mean??

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Koshka
                @koshka

@godlyfantasy12

It is the funniest book title acronym I’ve ended up with so far. Heart of Gold Heart of Stone. I haven’t used it much, but that title is Loooooong!

How is my WIP going? We’ll, I’ve gotten some stuff straighted out recently, but no actual writing. In fact I haven’t written any more on my books for over three months, I think. It’s a little discouraging. I have started plotting the last book though, found a title, and restricted myself to a trilogy. We’ll see how that works out. XD

Anyway, Y’all’s?

Abigail.M.
                  @abigail-m
                    • Total Posts: 1242

@godlyfantasy12

XD “Author’s madness” had got to be the funniest and most relatable description I have ever read in my entire life.
                    This is great that you’re making progress on your series. I remember reading some excerpts you posted from it that I still remember very clearly in my mind, you also had a ‘which character are you?’ Quiz on your blog, (I ended up being Grimm twice XD ). Loved that quiz:)

Anyway, yes, I think I know what you mean. My novel that I’ve been on for years has undergone tremendous changes from where it all started (including how I’m gonna dice the whole thing up book, series, or standalone wise). It sounds like lots of crazy/totally awesome changes are coming to DM which by the way sounds super cool because #1 AHA moments are always the best and at the same time sorta odd feeling at times because you think a novel’s going one way for a long time and then the WIP just yanks all your expectations out from underneath you and is like ‘hahahah nope.’ So yeah, that might not make sense, but that kind of describes what I’ve come to know about writing novels. #2 I love hearing your updates about your DM series and this sounds like it’ll be fun for you (I mean changing story structure can be a bit maddening sometimes, but still, it’s so exciting when a story takes an unexpected turn).

All in all, this is AWESOME 😀 😀

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12

@abigail-m aww thanks! The fact that you remember bits of my writing makes me really happy and encouraged!! 😊

@koshka
                      I totally get ya on the not working on it/feeling progress isn’t going anywhere. I didn’t do much writing over the holidays or during November like I thought I would. It felt like forever and I’m just now starting back really. I mean I did some but idk 🤷🏻‍♀️ it’s so weird being a writer sometimes lol. Writing blurs occasionally. But don’t beat yourself up! Sometimes you need those breaks, that’s where usually these AHA moments I get end up coming from so yea. It usually works out even tho at the time I HATE IT 😂

also YES the acronym is greeeeeeat!! XD

So I started writing the other day, just kinda went on and jumped into the “new” first book of my series and wrote the first draft’s prologue. So there’s that. It’s only like 500 and something words but that is something for someone who hasn’t written much of anything the last few weeks!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

Annabelle
                      @annabelle
                        • Total Posts: 108

@godlyfantasy12

My book series is going well. I’m still self-editing it. I’m super busy with other writing projects though, like my blog and a few short stories I’m writing, so it’s hard to find the time.

In the words of Jinto Queb, "Hurry, reading is fun!"

Elishavet Pidyon
                        @elishavet-pidyon
                          • Total Posts: 1013

@godlyfantasy12

My allegorical series that I mentioned above has developed quite a bit! It’s SO exciting. For a while I had no idea where I wanted to go with it, but now that the characters are falling into place, I can see each little life story spreading out before my eyes.

It’s a good thing the they can’t see it, or I’d have a mutiny on my hands. XD

As for writing-writing, I haven’t gotten any farther. However, that should change now that I have a better understanding of my book.

Eirtan is still in the plotting too. It is also threatening to be a lengthy series, as I realize that the timeline probably covers a year or two.

But yeah, it’s getting along, slowly but surely. I’m currently attempting to refine my writing with short stories.

How are your WIPs? Is Kaithen still around? (Was that spelled right?)

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

GodlyFantasy12
                          @godlyfantasy12

@elishavet-pidyon yes you spelled it right! Kaithen is still around but kinda in the back of my mind. Way back, but I’ve also got another Biblical fantasy based off Moses in the back of my mind. Right now I’m focused on the Destined series tho.

but my main ideas for WIPs are these-

Destined series-

My Peter Pan Retelling series

My biblical fiction, Kaithen (based off of David) and Eli (based off of Moses) and I’d probably make more.

all would take place in the same world I think….  Just in different lands I’d have to work that out lol and different times

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                            #ProtectMarcel
                            #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
                            @devastate-lasting
                              • Total Posts: 1700

@godlyfantasy12 One time I started a five book series that turned into thirty-six books and now is sitting at fifty-books and boy can I tell you I am sure glad I am out of ideas. Every day I lament over my former self’s cruelty towards me, but alas, I must finish this. Pros: I have greatly increased my writing speed. Cons: This is going to take a full decade in itself to draft, not to mention editing.

Thankfully the decade is more than halfway over, and the end of my suffering is near.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                              Would you mind letting me know
                              If hours don't turn into days

Koshka
                              @koshka

@godlyfantasy12

UGH, yes! It gets so hard sometimes to simply put three sentences on a page and KEEP them there. Ok, I’ll not to. =]

I know!

Good! 500 woods is an achievement when one hasn’t been writing much at all.

Elfwing
                                @elfwing
                                  • Total Posts: 486

@godlyfantasy12 well that happened to me in a way. My short story turned into a long novel that was about the length of the lotr trilogy but then i had to rework the whole thing because the plot took a twist, those charries are rebels, but anyways, no yeah i never stuck to my plan of 6 book series. its 11 and a half rough drafts and i’m still not done. i dont think anyone will ever wanna read the last 5 because theyre terrible but you know, its the passion that counts XD

also, sorry for not replying sooner, ive been super busy lately with writing and editing as im preparing my first novel of said series for publishing at some point.

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >