Mistborn

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Cloaked Mystery
    @jonas
      • Total Posts: 2624

I also read the Eleventh Metal and Allomancer Jak. I’m not going to say much about them, because there isn’t much to say.

The Eleventh Metal is one scene long, and it doesn’t have anything particularly useful to say. It’s still fun, but nothing amazing.

Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Etania is even more useless. It’s supposed to be funny, but I was not particularly amused. It honestly felt like a waste of time to read it.

Both of these were published alongside some sort of RPG, so there wasn’t any reason to expect them to be great. If these were sold separately from this collection, they would not be worth buying though.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
      ✨ Magic System Creator
      🎭 Character RPer
      📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
      @jonas
        • Total Posts: 2624

Going back to the discussion of Twinborn (from several months ago, I know), I have recently decided that my favorite combination is Allomantic Electrum and Feruchemical Steel (Steel is just the best Feruchemical power.

First off, Electrum actually is more useful than I thought. So far, we’ve only seen it get used to negate Atium, but it actually works as a form of weak Atium itself. You can watch your Electrumshadows, and if you see one get hit, you know to avoid it. This is less effective than Atium because for one thing, you don’t see what your opponent is going to do, just the impact on yourself, and secondly it doesn’t help you process this information as Atium does (at least as far as I am aware.) It seems like it would be hard to use Electrum, but you could get really good at it. (The power is actually similar to a certain bird we’ve seen…)

So anyway, the electrum/steel twinborn would be really good, because, for one thing, steelrunning speeds up your thoughts, which would let you make better use of electrum (zinc, which stores mental speed, would be better than steel for this, but I prefer steel, because otherwise you don’t have any powers that enhance you physically, which means that you could still have a hard time in a fight against certain other metalborn.) Furthermore, steelrunning will help you physically avoid getting hit and hopefully not give your opponent enough time to react to your reaction.

The best strategy for this combo would probably be to be tapping a small amount of extra speed, but then as soon as you see one of your electrumshadows get hit, you increase your tap rate a lot, letting you process the information, then you use it to dodge.

Last thing: considering how OP Steel, it’s actually not too difficult to store. There are many times when you could be storing without it being very inconvenient. (Reading a book, eating dinner, etc.) In fact, you could probably be storing most of the time. Compare that to Zinc, where you think really slowly when storing. I can hardly think of any times in my normal day where I could afford to be filling a zincmind. Granted, if you had that power, you might change your routine so that you have specific times for storing so that you can then complete tasks really quickly using your stores mental speed. But with Steel, I feel like I could easily do it in the course of the day. In fact, I could probably get used to going around at 75% speed, which would mean that after four days if that, I would have enough speed to go around at 200% speed for one entire day.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
        ✨ Magic System Creator
        🎭 Character RPer
        📚 Appreciator of Books

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      >