Mistborn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Cloaked Mystery
    @jonas
      • Total Posts: 2624

@thearcaneaxiom @highscribeofaetherium

(Yes, yet another Brandon Sanderson topic. Maybe we could have just used the general Cosmere one, but 🤷‍♂️)

I just finished AoL and started SoS. In my opinion, AoL was thoroughly decent. I didn’t like the villain, because his motives seemed really confusing and he felt pretty flat. One thing I like about this series so far is that none of the characters are Mistborn. Originally, I thought that would be less interesting than the original series, but the limitations are actually really cool, especially when combined with the Feruchemical powers.

So as a starter topic, what’s your favorite idea for a non-conpounder Twinborn? (You can do a compounder too if you want.)

🏰 Fantasy Writer
      ✨ Magic System Creator
      🎭 Character RPer
      📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
      @jonas

Oh, I should provide a list of Feruchemical powers since those are harder to remember. Just a moment…

🏰 Fantasy Writer
        ✨ Magic System Creator
        🎭 Character RPer
        📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
        @jonas

Steel – stores speed

Iron – stores weight

Tin – stores senses

Pewter – stores strength

Brass – stores warmth

Zinc – stores mental speed

Copper – stores memories

Bronze – stores wakefulness

Chromium – stores fortune

Nicrosil – stores investiture

Aluminum – stores identity

Duralamin – stores connection

Gold – stores health

Electrum – stores determination

Cadmium – stores breath

Bendalloy – stores energy

🏰 Fantasy Writer
          ✨ Magic System Creator
          🎭 Character RPer
          📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas

For a compounder, I would totally pick Steel. Those powers are good on their own, but as a compounder, you would basically get infinite speed, which is just totally OP.

For a generic Twinborn, a Steelrunner-thug would be really good. A lurcher-skimmer could be cool too, cause you could just become a giant magnet.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
            @highscribeofaetherium
              • Total Posts: 2215

@jonas

Hmm… idk. The ones you mentioned would be really good. I can’t think of anything right now XD I think I’m too tired atm.

Wait, electrum stores determination?

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Cloaked Mystery
              @jonas

@highscribeofaetherium

Yeah, it’s kind of weird, doesn’t that seem like a cognitive power, rather than hybrid? I think Brandon Sanderson said that that was a mistake and it should be switched with brass, which would make sense, since warmth seems like a hybrid rather than a cognitive. The problem is Sazed was using warmth at the end of WoA, before they knew electrum was allomantic, and if it was known to be feruchemical, they probably would have tested it for allomancy.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                ✨ Magic System Creator
                🎭 Character RPer
                📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
                @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

Huh.

Cloaked Mystery
                  @jonas

I finished SoS, and I actually liked AoL better. (I think at least @highscribeofaetherium says AoL was the worst WaW.) SoS honestly felt unoriginal. Once again, Wax is hunting down a nigh-immortal, who is not a compelling villain, and seems to think they’re the hero. But it’s less interesting, because we already did the Kandra thing in AoL, and it was way better in that book. In contrast, the gold-compounding was something we hadn’t really seen before. AoL also had cooler fight scenes and more interesting uses of powers in my opinion.

Also, the names of both of these books are bad. “Alloy of Law”? That sounded dumb to me from the start, and it’s even worse knowing the context. “Shadows of Self” sounds cool, but I still don’t even know what it refers to. The names for the first trilogy were way better.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                    ✨ Magic System Creator
                    🎭 Character RPer
                    📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
                    @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

Hmm. Interesting. I found AoL kind of boring. Idk why. Much of it I found rather forgettable. I never thought about how they were kind of similar.

I know. The names are so bad. I have no idea what SoS is ever referring too. BaM (and maybe LM, idk yet) is the only one that actually makes sense. But I’ll say no more 🤐

(Also, in AoL, Marsh had both his eye spikes, but he only had one left at the end of HoA. Where did he get a new one??)

Cloaked Mystery
                      @jonas

@highscribeofaetherium

But I’ll say no more 🤐

I already know what the bands of mourning is.

(Also, in AoL, Marsh had both his eye spikes, but he only had one left at the end of HoA. Where did he get a new one??)

A dead inquisitor? I wonder why he didn’t just put his own back in right away.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                        ✨ Magic System Creator
                        🎭 Character RPer
                        📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
                        @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

Yeah, I know.

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom
                            • Total Posts: 1250

Hmmm, I don’t know.

Thinking about compounding each of them, it would have very unique effects. Electrum would be funny. If you compounded that, and get a massive amount of determination, you might just start thinking yourself a god, without that really adding to your physical power in any way. Pewter alo and Gold feu would be a good combo, similar to the gold compounding, but maybe not as powerful.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
                            @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Well, yeah, gold compounding is just absolutely ridiculous. Pewter and gold would be pretty good, because you could probably store the increased healing granted by pewter, and so store health without getting sick. That would be a good “tank.”

Compounding bronze would be pretty good, since it would let you never sleep. A bendalloy compounder would be good too. Compounding zinc could be very interesting.

Steelrunning plus one of the time bubbles would be interesting.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                              ✨ Magic System Creator
                              🎭 Character RPer
                              📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas

Well, I finished BoM now. It was definitely more enjoyable than SoS, and the new metallic arts stuff (unkeyed metal minds and such) are definitely interesting. My biggest problem with it is that the entire book felt like an excuse to introduce those principles, and they were introduced so quickly (practically info-dumped) that I’m not even sure if I totally get it. Whereas the first trilogy expanded its ideas slowly, this trilogy basically dumped it all in this one book. Overall, it was enjoyable.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                ✨ Magic System Creator
                                🎭 Character RPer
                                📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                                @jonas

Here are my thoughts on Mistborn Secret History. I’ll note from the beginning that I had already been spoiled on most of the important things in this book, and that I’m sure it would have been far more enjoyable if I didn’t know anything beyond Mistborn Era 1 and 2.

There are two big issues that jump out at me. First is that it feels disjointed, which is something Brandon Sanderson noted in the postscript that he was worried about. It’s a consequence of setting this novella so that it is happening in sync with two full length novels, and I don’t see how it could have been fixed. I would be interested to see how this worked if it were inserted directly into the other books. There are some issues with that just as the plot goes, such as finding out things from Kelsier’s POV that you aren’t supposed to know at that point for the other POVs. Additionally, we’re not supposed to know Kelsier is alive until the end of BaM, where it is teased.

The other thing I noticed was that this story was hurt by our already knowing things from WoA and HoA. There are some things that are revelations for Kelsier but we already know because of the main series, and the book still often treats them as though it’s news to us.

This book was still enjoyable, and probably mind blowing if I wasn’t already aware of all this. The highlights are Kelsier’s interactions with other people, which are all interesting and/or pretty funny. The parts in between where Kelsier is just walking around doing stuff, and sometimes finding out something we already knew, feel fairly dry.

It left me with one question that I’ve seen people ask before, but came to the forefront at the end of this book: is Spook still alive? I think it’s quite likely, since this book shows him beginning work with Kelsier. We know from Era 2 that he was a proponent of using Hemalurgy, and all he’d need to stay alive is a spike that gives him Feruchemical atium, plus some atium to spare, like Marsh has. Admittedly, I’m not sure how many inquisitors had atium spikes, and it probably would be difficult for him to get his hands on atium (Marsh had the bag that the kandra was trying to escape with), but it should be possible, especially with Kelsier’s help. He apparently was the king, and possibly the only full Mistborn they had, so I’d imagine that if anyone could get his hands on atium, he could. It’s also possible that there’s another way to keep him alive that Kelsier found out about from his time as Preservation. Even a Cadmium bubble would do the trick.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                  ✨ Magic System Creator
                                  🎭 Character RPer
                                  📚 Appreciator of Books

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >