Just Another Girl

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Just Another Girl

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

Oh look! A new person! Welcome to KP, @PerfectFifths! *confetti and balloons* This sight has been crucial in my journey as a Christian writer— I wouldn’t be anywhere close to where I am today without it, so I hope it’s everything amazing for you as well. 😉 So glad to have you. 😀

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

@perfectfifths The Brotherband Chronicles is another series by Flanagan. They are about a group of boys from Skandia, another place in the world of Ranger’s Apprentice. They occur about 10 or so years before Ranger’s Apprentice, and I find them very enjoyable so far. The sixth book just came out, but I haven’t read it yet. Not yet… You should definitely check them out, especially if you like Ranger’s. Except, in my opinion, the Brotherband are almost better than Rangers. *stands up proudly* Yes, you Flanagan Ranger fans, I just said that. I’m not afraid! *Holds up yellow sign found on mountain roads* *watch for flying dragons*
        Yes, my own worlds are my own worlds. I’ve done a seven page document just on one world before (it’s actually one for a story that I’ve finished. YAY! And I’ve just made another one. I hope to base my next story off of that world.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Louise Fowler
        @perfectfifths
          • Total Posts: 726

@rolena-hatfield: Thank you! Oh, and thanks for the link, I’ll be sure to check it out!
          As for violin, I have been taking lessons by the best teacher ever! (She’s actually from the States) We do it in her home (now, not at first) and we all have such a good time we usually go over half an hour. She’s picky, especially about me playing loud, but I love her, she’s great. 😀

@emma-flournoy
          : *takes recommendation and files it away in list of books to read* Thanks for that. My secret? Well, I’m really passionate about it, and I love it. One my favourite (Aussie-spelling alert!) things to do on violin is figure out songs I know and like by ear, then I write down the music on a program on the PC, because I do play better with music for reference. Just the other day I figured out Mary Did You Know, and I’ve also fiddled (pun intended) with trying to figure out some VeggieTales silly songs (who here knows VeggieTales?? 😀 ) It’s been really interesting learning all about the technical side of the violin, too. My violin teacher once took us to visit a local luthier (that’s Fancy for violin-maker) who makes and restores old violins. He had one from the 1600s, and he let me play it!

@ethryndal
          That’s a pretty name, is it Elvish? 😉 And yes, I already believe them, simply by the amount of people posting on here in less than 2 days! So welcoming! That’s funny, how you found it the same way. 🙂 Did you join right away when you did?

@kate-flournoy
          : Are you and @emma-flournoy sisters??? :O I look forward to beginning my journey here. Already since I’ve joined I’ve read an article that has put my mind at ease about a particular scene in a story I wrote this month. 😀

@dragon-snapper
          : I’ve created some pretty cool worlds, but I find the ones I expand on the most don’t get used – probably because I over-plan their stories too much, and I find that if I do that, I lose the enthusiasm I originally had for the idea. :\ I think I also tailor-make the worlds to fit my stories, and I should probably do it the other way around. What do you recommend?

Currently reading Les Miserables

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@PerfectFifths I love it too, it just frustrates me when I can’t get everything to work how I want it, so I don’t play as often as I should even though it’d be beneficial. How do you make yourself play even when it’s frustrating?
            I love picking tunes out by ear too. 😀
            He let you play it? O.O Wow!! Did it feel…old?

Louise Fowler
            @perfectfifths

@emma-flournoy: No, it didn’t feel old (it looked it, simply because the design was slightly different) It felt amazing! It had a beautiful, deep, warm sound. When he was offering someone to play it, I thought he was talking to my teacher, but then he handed it to me. I want to say “No” our of pure nervousness, but how often do you get to play a 500-year-old violin, huh?! So I played Jupiter on it, and it was amazing.

Ah, as for playing when it’s frustrating, well… Sometimes you just need a break. Come back to it the next day and try again, or try something different, like scales or picking out another song. Often when I’m practicing with the intention of playing these pieces, I end up doing something completely different as well. But, as with everything, some days are just harder than others. And it gets less frustrating the more you practice. I believe music is a wonderful outlet, and I can’t encourage you enough to keep at it (even if it’s not violin in the end) I also can’t stress enough how important practice is.

Actually, what has also really helped is the community orchestra I joined not long after beginning to learn. There’s a string orchestra, which is for new learners or people coming back to it after some time, which I’ve been a part of for almost two years too, and the full orchestra, which I joined just recently, for more experienced players. But being in that environment has been encouraging to me (and I think I’ve been an encouragement to some there, too)

Emma Flournoy
              @emma-flournoy

@PerfectFifths You played Jupiter, from Holst’s Planets? Ooh, I love that one! That sounds like a hugely wonderful experience.

Thanks so much for the tips and encouragement.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                Louise Fowler
                @perfectfifths

@emma-flournoy: Yes I did, it was one of my pieces from my grade 1 exam, and yes it was, I enjoyed it immensely! Let me know how you go in your violin-ing journey and if you keep pursuing it! I hope that you do. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Louise Fowler.

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy

@PerfectFifths Oh don’t worry, I have no intention of stopping. 😀 It’s just depressing sometimes (though I’m trying hard not to let it be).

Louise Fowler
                    @perfectfifths

@emma-flournoy: Well, if you’re ever in a real funk and need major inspiration, just search for violinists on YouTube. Some of my favourites are Lindsey Stirling, Taylor Davis and Taryn Harbridge. They do a lot of Lord of the Rings and other movie soundtrack covers.

Alia
                      @alia
                        • Total Posts: 1253

Yay! A fellow violin player!
                        welcome @perfectfifths.

WIP - Decisions
                        Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Louise Fowler
                        @perfectfifths

@alia: Thank you! How long have you been playing? 😀

Alia
                          @alia
                            • Total Posts: 1253

@perfectfifths

for about 4 1/2 years, but i don’t practice as often as i should

WIP - Decisions
                            Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Louise Fowler
                            @perfectfifths

@alia: That sounds like a fairly common disease, unfortunately. :\ Well then, see what I had written to @emma-flournoy 😀 Have you ever done any exams? (is that even a thing in the U.S?)

Snapper
                              @dragon-snapper
                                • Total Posts: 3515

@perfectfifths Well for me, to generate ideas, I may have to plan a story world. Maps are my favorite part, the describing not so much. I usually include cultures and major places, but you’re right/write about tailoring your worlds to fit the stories. Although I first-handly plan my world, things change as I write. I basically allow myself leeway, a lot of leeway. I think that story world and world-building is important though. Sometimes I even draw pictures of the places and weapons and plants.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Emma Flournoy
                                @emma-flournoy

@PerfectFifths Oh, I’ve seen some of their stuff. They’re really talented, though Lindsey Stirling can be…a little weird. 😛
                                  I’m forever indebted to YouTube (and the people who make the videos of course 😉 ) for violin, because I learned mostly through YouTube, and with some help from a friend. 😀 FREE VIDEOS!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >