Just Another Girl

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Just Another Girl

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Louise Fowler
    @perfectfifths
      • Total Posts: 726

@sarah hoven Thank you! 🙂

@bluejay
      So far away! 😀

Currently reading Les Miserables

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

Welcome to the bestistest place on the internet, @perfectfifths.

How’d you find us by the way?

Say, have you ever thought about writing modern fiction. I’m considering it, because it could have a lot of the same style as historical fiction, but it would require way less research.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Louise Fowler
        @perfectfifths

Thank you, @deaus! How is that pronounced, like Deus, the Latin for God? 😀 Also, how did this bestistest thing even start? 😀

I found KP, originally, about a year or so ago researching magic in Christian fiction (is it right or wrong? Still not sure myself, but at this point, I choose not to include it), but simply to read the article (the name escapes me ATM 🙂 ) But I started this online uni course through the Rebelution.com called Do Hard Things University, which includes a Young Writers’ Workshop. A few of the members I’ve become acquainted with also are on Kingdom Pen (Sara W. being one 🙂 ), and with my brother (@leumeister) and I growing more passionate about writing, my parents wanted us to find forums of communities with similar mindsets and goals. And here I am! 😀

Actually, yes, I have recently thought of an idea that would be probably considered modern fiction, I suppose (possibly set in the last few decades, but certainly no earlier than the 80s or 90s), which I am quite excited about starting on. And yes, less research would be a benefit. 😉 What are you considering writing about in that genre?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Louise Fowler.

Greta
          @gretald
            • Total Posts: 450

@perfectfifths
            Welcome, welcome, welcome! I love that you say “mum.” In my opinion, it sounds so much better than “mom.” I was blessed to go to England this summer, and ever since I got back, I’ve started calling my mom “mum.” It gets on her nerves a bit, though. 😛
            I totally agree about writing Christian novels that aren’t preachy…preachy novels are (in my opinion) not very effective in bringing others to Christ. Of course, that doesn’t mean that some novels like that couldn’t bring someone to Christ. 😉
            Anyway, glad to have you on here! You’ve come to the right place for Christian writers (the bestistest place on the internet!). 🙂

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

@perfectfifths
              Greetings!
              I here welcome you to the fantasgreatiest place on the internets (the other words were taken, so I make my own.) 😛
              Ah Ranger’s Apprentice is a good series. Have you ever read the Brotherband series? I’m working on that one.
              I find modern fiction very hard to write. Its hard for me to not include swords and bows…and castles and all that. I guess I just find medieval stuff very fascinating. As you can see, I am a dragon.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
              @daeus

@perfectfifths Oh, boy. You asked me how to pronounce my name. 😉 It’s basically pronounced like the second half of Amadeus, except the “ae” in my name is pronounced like the a in ant. Do Aussies pronounce ant like we do? Well, let’s hope so.

I guess I’m the one responsible for bestistes. Trying to rival Webster, you know. Silly old me.

My idea for a modern era story is to do something les mis-esque. Hopefully you’ve read that. The book’s absolutely ginormous and has a gazillion characters that all act together in one gigantic plot. I don’t really have an idea for what the plot will be, but the hope is to give a very broad view of modern society. How about yours?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Louise Fowler
                @perfectfifths

@greta Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are the second American I have come across so far in my New Adventures on Social Media (Slack and KP 😛 ) to say how you like different Australian spellings – and there are a LOT of them! Shall I list some examples? 😛 😀

Have you read the Peleg Chronicles? That was the series I had in mind while talking about preachy fiction, and it was very preachy (they were quoting Bible verses that hadn’t even been written yet, according to the time period it was set in). But I actually really enjoyed it nonetheless, although an unsaved person may be put off by it. Actually, a Christian may even be put off by it, if they’re wanting fiction that isn’t preaching them a sermon (I personally wouldn’t like to have he gospel preached every chapter, as a rule – ironically, I’m currently reading a series about an Anglican priest, so there ya go…)

Leumeister
                  @leumeister
                    • Total Posts: 244

@daeus

That’s interesting that you said Amadeus, because I have a character called Amadeus XD

Louise Fowler
                    @perfectfifths

Aussies pronounce “Ant” with a “aay” sound, but “Aunt” with an “auh” sound (actually, I’m more prone to pronounce it like “Ant” – my Dad is American, so I have two influences there) There’s your grammar lesson for the day (night) XD

I haven’t actually read or watched Les Mis (I wasn’t even aware is was a book, but I probably should have guessed XD), but I do know what it is about (sorta? XD French Revolution-era, right?). I do love some of the songs from it. :3

My idea is about a preacher and his family moving to a small town and wanting to start a new church (‘cuz there isn’t one 😛 ), but as they go along, it starts becoming more about building the grandest, most amazing chapel even seen (or something like that), and things start to go wrong, until they give it all back to God. Some parts were inspired by a book I’m reading, and others by the song Heart of Worship – specifically the line “I’m sorry, Lord, for the thing I made it, when it’s all about you.” Hopefully you’ve heard that. 😉

Louise Fowler
                      @perfectfifths

@dragonsnapper Yes, indeed you are! And I have a feeling I’ll find modern fiction challenging, too, at first. I mainly write fantasy and make my own worlds. And no, I haven’t read Brotherband. What’s it about?

By the way, does anyone know if it’s possible to share stories somewhere on this site, like uploading documents or something??? :O

Leumeister
                        @leumeister
                          • Total Posts: 244

@Daeus So it’s pronounced Dah-yus? Or Dah-us. Or is it actually Day-us?

Daeus
                          @daeus

@leumeister Hmm… so we don’t pronounce ant the same. Ok, how about this. The ae is pronounced like a from anthology.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rolena Hatfield
                            @rolena-hatfield
                              • Total Posts: 405

@perfectfifths Welcome! We’re so very pleased to have you here!
                              Ah! I love the violin. I’ve been playing for three years now and it sounds like you’re much more dedicated to practicing than I am, but I’ve been improving on that point. Have you been taking lessons or self-teaching?
                              Also as far as uploading documents… I’m not sure about that, but if you go here we often post a section of a story for critiques. I’ve found this very helpful.

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Emma Flournoy
                              @emma-flournoy
                                • Total Posts: 1352

@PerfectFifths Oh I play the violin too! Yes, congratulations for playing ‘non stop’. I know it’s exhausting, and you definitely seem to stick to it more than I. What’s your secret? 😛

Here’s a huge recommendation to read Les Miserables. *hands you huge recommendation* 😉 I’m not finished reading it yet, but I love it.

Ethryndal
                                @ethryndal
                                  • Total Posts: 1013

@PerfectFiths Before this thread is done, you will have a lot of people tell you that this forum is bestistest place ever. BELIEVE THEM. I haven’t been her very long, but just through reading everything that goes on, I have come to be pretty certain that they’re telling the truth.

Oh, and it’s pretty funny that you found KP by researching magic in fiction, because that’s how I found it too! 🙂

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >