Is the "love interest" necessary?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Is the "love interest" necessary?

• This topic has 37 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Ethryndal
    @ethryndal
      • Total Posts: 1013

@that_writer_girl_99 Arg, stupid me. I just realized that the scene I’m thinking about is only in the extended edition of the Return of the King. Sorry. But yes, it’s also in the books. 😛

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Gracie
      @graciegirl
        • Total Posts: 889

@Daeus

Calligraphy practice

I was out of ideas for my calligraphy practice.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Gracie
        @graciegirl

Whoops…here it is.
          Maybe?

Gracie
          @graciegirl

XD I don’t know if you guys can see my first attempt to upload the pic, so here’s what I said:

@Daeus
            I ran out of ideas for my calligraphy practice.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@graciegirl Hey…that looks really good! (I especially like the clean desk 😉 )

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Gracie
              @graciegirl

@Daeus Haha! Thanks! I am VERY meticulous about my desk. 😀 Woe be it to the sibling that knocks something out of order. 😜

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 3976

@GracieGirl hey, that’s really good. I love it, and me being a calligrapher myself I mean that.
                  And yes… your desk is beautifully clean.
                  *goes and hides under her own, knocking off several of the odds and ends haphazardly stacked over the top of it*

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@GracieGirl Agreed.

@Ethryndal
                    They didn’t go that route with Jyn and Cassian?! 😮 I got that impression…not as strong as say, Aragorn and Arwen or anything, but I thought for sure they were doing that.

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal

@Graciegirl Kudos for being the first person who’s actually done something like that with a quote they heard on KP! Your calligraphy is gorgeous.

@Emma-Flournoy
                      Well, it’s kind of confusing, because sometimes I got that impression too. I think the main thing is that they didn’t expound on it. The closest they got was holding hands near the end when *chokes* some moral support was needed, an action that very well could have been taken as comradeship instead of romance. Generally in these things, it is the habit of romantic interests to *slams head into desk* kiss at some point. Well, they didn’t. NOT TO SAY THAT LOVE NEEDS PHYSICAL TOUCH TO BE SHOWN. My point is that if it their relationship was romantic, they didn’t make big deal out of it, which I’m glad of.
                      There’s my two-cents. 😀

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Gracie
                      @graciegirl

@Kate-Flournoy Thanks. 🙂 I’m trying to get really good at calligraphy, but I’ve still got a long way to go, in my opinion. And I actually never use the desk. I’ve got something weird where it hurts my back to sit in an chair upright for an extended period time, so I usually do my writing, schoolwork, and basically everything on the floor. XD The desk is just a formality really and, as a result, very easy to keep in shape. 😀

@Emma-Flournoy
                        @Ethryndal Thanks!

You’ve both doomed yourselves by mentioning Rogue One. Particularly that part of it. ;p My lil sister spent the whole drive back from the movie theatre bemoaning the fact that Jyn and Cassian *face-palm* didn’t kiss, while I sat there basically plugging my ears and doing my best to ignore her. XD I definitely think there was a bit more than comradeship going on at the end because of the shot in the elevator going down to the beach. But I am of the same opinion @Ethryndal, I am enormously grateful to the writers for not taking the typical route and keeping the romance as a sub-sub-plot. ;D It was refreshing and didn’t distract from the more important elements of the story.
                        I kinda felt the same way about the Rey-Finn dynamic in the Force Awakens. It was there, but it wasn’t in your face. The most enjoyable part of sub-plots like that for me, is that it shows the protagonist focusing more on the mission than his/her love interest. Like, instead of crying out or jumping down to see if Cassian was all right when he fell off the file spire thingy, Jyn stayed focused on the mission and completed it. When a character can’t seem to think of anything else but the safety or opinions of their love interest it gets on my nerves. Rey did the same thing sorta when Finn asked her to go away with him in Maz’s Castle and she refused because of her mission to get BB-8 to the Alliance. And that’s my two cents on the matter. 😉
                        And it’s also pretty much my opinion on all romantic story elements in general, @That_Writer_Girl_99. If you’re still probing for more views on the subject, that is. I’m sorry that I haven’t really chipped in before with anything constructive. I’ve honestly been unable to think of anything new which hasn’t already been said until now. XD

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy

@Ethryndal @GracieGirl *collects four cents*
                          Okay, I totally agree, now that you’ve both expressed yourselves so lucidly on the matter. 😀 I do think it was more than just comradeship, but only a little. And I was almost rejoicing that they didn’t kiss. XD I loved the hug at the end, but that was plenty. That’s more of a just friendly thing anyway.
                          AND LOVE DOES NOT NEED PHYSICAL TOUCH TO BE SHOWN. We woulnd’t think you were saying it did, @Ethryndal. 😀

Ethryndal
                          @ethryndal

@Emma-Flournoy @GracieGirl Ashamed to admit it, but I just realized the only proof I had for it not being romantic was that they didn’t gush about it and they didn’t kiss.

WHAT HAS AMERICA COME TO WHEN THE ONLY WAY TO SHOW YOU’RE IN LOVE IS GUSHING AND KISSING?!?

Having watched RO again last night, I would be inclined to agree with you; it was probably more than just camaraderie. But this just goes to show: Sometimes, simple is better. The hug at the end was WAY more powerful than any words or kisses.

*adds an extra cent to the mix so Emma can buy a piece of candy or something*

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy

@Ethryndal

Sometimes, simple is better. The hug at the end was WAY more powerful than any words or kisses.

AGREED. Gushing and kissing, sheesh. That hug was so incredibly sincere it was WAY better than any gushing or kissing would’ve been.

*buys a piece of candy for Cassian when he was little*

Snapper
                              @dragon-snapper
                                • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal @emma-flournoy I think that if they had kissed at the end it would’ve messed up the scene.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Gracie
                                @graciegirl

@Ethryndal @Emma-Flournoy @Dragon-Snapper Just poking my head in to say I agree with all of yous 100%

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >