Introductions

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Introductions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lavender Bleu
    @lavenderbookling
      • Total Posts: 19

I’m not 100% how to go about doing things here, but this section was labelled “start here” so here I am. I’m Lavender Bleu, and I write speculative fiction. I prefer to focus on fantasy and superheroes, but I also enjoy combining genres (like sci-fi and fantasy).

It’s nice to meet you all!

Great success often depends on being able to distinguish between the impossible and the improbable.

Power
      @power
        • Total Posts: 292

Greetings @lavenderbookling ! I am Power, but also the Black Mongoose. How am I two, but one???….. uh… well… I’ll get back to you on that when I figure it out myself!

So, we will now play a game called “Ask the Newbie Ridiculous Questions!” hosted by yours truly… or falsely. Whichever works.

Greetings folks! (I already greeted you, but for the purpose of the game we (remember there are two of us… or one??) will do it again) Today our guest’s name is Lavenderbookling and she will be answering the question and I, err we, your amazing host will be asking them!

1) If two cars were driving toward each other at 100mph would you rather 1) Be in a plane above them, or 2) be in a jetpack above them!

(Once you answer the question, you may ask me one, and then the game will be over!)

You will love what you spend time with.

Power
        @power
          • Total Posts: 292

And please don’t be scared away from KP because some weirdo was the first person you met. I promise that thy aren’t all like me.

@koshka
          A little civilized help!

You will love what you spend time with.

Koshka
          @koshka
            • Total Posts: 1424

@lavenderbookling

Hello! I am Koshka, or at least that’s what I’m called around here. Nice to meet you, Lavender!

Oh yeah, that bio thing can be a little confusing. At any rate, you did fine.

Sci-fi fantasy? That sounds interesting. What are your favorite things about this genre (genres)? I work mostly in Medieval Fantasy and Historical fiction, which are actually my favorite genres to read. I also love history and crazy historical facts/stories.

Although I’m mainly working on a Medieval Fantasy Trilogy which I haven’t named yet, I also have two other books I sometimes work on. So, do you have any WIPs?

What do you think of JellyBeans? I’m lukewarm, not particularly liking nor despising them either.

(@power   Uh, civilized?)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Koshka. Reason: Ato-correct needs to be pummeled

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
            @elishavet-pidyon
              • Total Posts: 1013

@lavenderbookling

Welcome to KP! It’s good to meet you. I’m called Elishavet around here.

My WIPs are all medieval fantasy including my two main projects which are an allegorical series and a not allegorical one. Sci-fi would be interesting to write, I haven’t personally read much sci-fi, but my brother has. Mixing genres is such fun! What are your favorite genres to mix?

Who among your own characters is your favorite? Why?

If you could have any animal as a pet, what would it be?

What are your favorite authors to read?

Anyway, see you around!

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Lavender Bleu
              @lavenderbookling

@power

Don’t worry about seeming weird– I’m weird too. 😉

I think I’d prefer the jetpack. Unless, of course, I could just make my own option, which would obviously be flying on a gryphon. Or a dragon. Or a pegasus.

@koshka

My favorite thing is being able to blend scientific advancements with magical ones. I have a soft spot for magic in settings with technology as advanced as ours. I think it’s especially interesting to see how magic and science could potentially work side-by-side in medicine, entertainment, etc.

I have… way too many projects. My current primary is about a fourth wall aware girl in a superhero world, and my current secondary is a high fantasy involving a group of best friends trying to reunite despite the odds.

I don’t like jellybeans, I prefer chocolates and hard lemon candies.

@elishavet-pidyon

I like to mix sci-fi, cyberpunk, and apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic with fantasy and urban fantasy. I have a few sci-fan worlds with magic that’s used alongside standard technology, and I have a cyberpunk-style world with magical creatures. My apocalyptic story is caused by magic, and I think it does a pretty good job at incorporating aspects of both genres.

I have a lot of favorites, but right now it’d be Biohazard. She’s really rough around the edges, and a bit crude, but most of my characters are very much less so, making her a breath of fresh air. It’s also nice to see her relationship with her nanotech, because they’re symbiotic and it shows her softer side. Plus, her design is just generally cool. She’s got glow-in-the-dark eyes and stuff like that.

Gryphon. Definitely a gryphon. Probably one that’s part domesticated cat and part raven.

I like C. S. Lewis (I’m currently reading Mere Christianity as a book study), Brandon Sanderson, J. R. R. Tolkien, Agatha Christie, Angie Sage, Cressida Cowell, and Lemony Snickett (I’ve never read his A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I did love All the Wrong Questions).

Great success often depends on being able to distinguish between the impossible and the improbable.

Elishavet Pidyon
                @elishavet-pidyon
                  • Total Posts: 1013

@lavenderbookling

Wow! Those genres sound amazing together. Placing magic in a modern/future setting sounds fascinating. It definitely looks like it’s well blended!

Hmmm. Biohazard sounds interesting. Does she see in the dark? (I mean, if her eyes glow, is it like a cats where the glowing is light being reflected to aid in night vision?)

I don’t know much about gryphons, but a cat-raven could be loads of fun.

C. S. Lewis is one of my all-time favorite authors. Mere Christianity is so good! (I love his illustrations. A poached egg!? Of course.) Of Tolkien, I’ve only read The Hobbit, but I do like his style and imagination. We have so e friends who love Agatha Christie. Anyway, those sound like some pretty great authors!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Elishavet Pidyon. Reason: Misspelled word

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Koshka
                  @koshka
                    • Total Posts: 1424

@lavenderbookling

Hmm… Magic in today. A world with the technology of a hyper civilization, yet the magic of fairy tales. Ooo… I’ve never been much into sci-fi but that sounds interesting.

Ugh, yeah. I had to narrow down. Right now I’m working on a fantasy trilogy which has probably been taking way too long to write. The first two books are Medieval and the last one’s World War/War on Terror.

I’ve never felt comfortable using magic in any of my writing, but I love C.S. Lewis and Andrew Peterson.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Koshka. Reason: Goof?
                    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Koshka. Reason: Ato-correct needs to be pummeled

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

ella
                    @nova21
                      • Total Posts: 604

@lavenderbookling

Welcome Lavender!  I’m Ella, nice to meet you!  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Ohh nice, sci-fi and fantasy?  Sounds pretty awesome to me. :))  I’m writing a book about a girl who’s trying to escape the last ship leaving earth (which is almost inhabitable) to save her sister, who was left behind.  It’s a story about loyalty, courage, and selfless love.  best themes in my opinion ;)<<33

Some questions:

do you like tea? or coffee? or something else? (tea all the way for me, especially vanilla chamomile)

do you play any sports?

what’s your favorite genre of music?

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                      -gladiator, 2000

Lavender Bleu
                      @lavenderbookling

@elishavet-pidyon

They are, sub-genres of fantasy are kind of my babies. XD

A little bit. Her symbiote enhances her abilities to some extent, so she does have better vision in general. The glowing eyes thing isn’t the same as cats, because cats have a special layer in their eyes that cause it. I haven’t determined the exact mechanics of it, but it’s likely either generated light, reflected off of the nanotech in her eyes, or a biochemical reaction.

Traditional gryphons are equally eagle and lion, but there are lots of good depictions doen by modern artists that portray gryphons in a variety of ways. I recommend Googling for “trash gryphons.” I love those things.

I’ve read The Lord of the Rings two or three times and it’s really good if you’re looking for more of that style of fantasy.

@koshka

I style my magic systems more like Brandon Sanderson does for the most part. I’m a bit picky about making everything make sense and have rules and stuff. 😛 It’s also a lot less work in terms of researching technology. My one high fantasy is driving me crazy with all the research I need to do on medieval technology and just general things up through about 1800. But yes, I love the idea of magical people having internet, x-rays, and all that stuff.

I would quite honestly get too bored if I didn’t incorporate magic. XD Science is cool and all, but… I’m a fantasy nerd at heart.

@nova21

I’ll make sure to keep that in mind. (Although I do have the memory of a squirrel so I may forget.)

That sounds cool! I love that kind of quest, and spaceships. Spaceships make everything a little more awesome.

I like tea, and hate coffee with a passion, but I’m more of a hot cocoa person. Although I will drink lemonade in the middle of winter.

I used to practice tae kwon do, and was testing for black belt before COVID shut things down. My studio still hasn’t really opened back up yet.

I… don’t have a “favorite” genre, but I’m fond of 80s music, Christian contemporary, and Japanese pop.

Annabelle
                        @annabelle
                          • Total Posts: 108

@lavenderbookling

Hi! It’s nice to meet you! My name is Annabelle, and I also write fantasy, although in the past I’ve done more historical fiction and action/adventure. Currently, I am working on editing my YA novel called Identity, which is the first book in my Daughters of the Sea series. I also run my own blog, annabelle.batie.com, where I post weekly.

So… I’m going to ask you some questions now.

What is your favorite thing to do (besides writing)?

What kind of music do you like, and do you play any instruments?

What are your favorite books and/or authors?

In the words of Jinto Queb, "Hurry, reading is fun!"

Lavender Bleu
                          @lavenderbookling

Nice to meet you Annabelle!

I like to read, knit, and draw. I just finished Gordon Korman’s Masterminds trilogy (highly recommend, by the way). I’m also knitting a scarf for a friend, and don’t have any art projects going at the moment, but I’m sure that’ll change once my art class starts up again.

I like a variety, as mentioned before. 80s, Christian contemporary, and Japanese pop. I’m a cellist (unfortunately currently without a teacher). I have also played violin and piano in the past, but decided to quit since it wasn’t quite working out.

I like C. S. Lewis, Brandon Sanderson, J. R. R. Tolkien, Agatha Christie, Cressida Cowell, and Lemony Snickett a lot. Angie sage does an incredible job at using multiple points of view in her books, and I really want to be able to pull that kind of thing off. Brandon Sanderson has the best magic systems and worldbuilding, plus the quotes from his Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians series are to die for (metaphorically, of course). My favorite one is:

“People can do great things. However, there are somethings they just can’t do. I, for instance, have not been able to transform myself into a Popsicle, despite years of effort. I could, however, make myself insane, if I wished. (Though if I achieved the second, I might be able to make myself think I’d achieved the first….)
                            Anyway, if there’s a lesson to be learned, it’s this: great success often depends on being able to distinguish between the impossible and the improbable. Or, in easier terms, distinguishing between Popsicles and insanity.
                            Any questions?”

Kathleen
                            @kathleenramm
                              • Total Posts: 635

@lavenderbookling
                              A writer who doesn’t like coffee? I thought those people were myths…

Anyways, awesome to meet your acquaintance! It’s wonderful have you here in the Kingdom.

The way you described your world is so interesting. A Cyberpunk fantasy mix is such a cool idea. Where did your get the idea from?

I have the same favorite authors has you! Your taste is perfection. What’s your favorite book from each author?

I think you are the first Snicket fan I’ve met that has read the All the Wrong Questions series but not A Series of Unfortunate Events. Do you have a favorite character in The All the Wrong Questions series?

Also, you should totally read A Series of Unfortunate Events. The first few books are a bit repetitive, however the series starts to switch things up in book five and especially in book eight. But the entire series is awesome. It’s about time I read it again.

Again, great to to meet you! Catch you around on the forums!

Lavender Bleu
                              @lavenderbookling

No, we’re not. XD Just cryptids, far and few between.

It’s nice to meet you, too.

I was messing around with a character creator I found and decided that the character I had made was just too good to waste, so I put her in my arsenal for the time being. I actually keep a Google Sheet of characters for future projects.

Mere Christianity, Words of Radiance, The Lord of the Rings, And Then There Were None, How to Train Your Dragon, Who Could That Be at This Hour?, and Magyk.

I really liked the main character. He was a bit bland, but interesting.

I read at least part of the first one before getting bored. It wasn’t exactly my style then, and I kind of doubt that it will be now. I don’t really like to read most tragedies (Hamlet is an exception) because they’re just depressing. I might be willing to give it another try if it has elements of hope in it, though. Gregor the Overlander had some more dark and depressing themes, but Collins did a good job of balancing that out with hope. I have to admire her for how well she wrote that series, since she painted a picture that was both fantastical and realistic, especially for the end. Even though I don’t 100% like the ending of the series, I do really like that it was about resolving the plot and not just tossing sugar on the end to make the reader happy.

Sorry about the ramble. ;P I do tend to go off on bunny trails and tangents.

I hope I’ll see you around.

ella
                                @nova21
                                  • Total Posts: 604

@lavenderbookling

Haha, no worries, I have the memory of a chicken. XD

Agreeeeed, spaceships make everything better.

Ohhh yum, hot cocoa is awesome.  Coffee hater???  Interesting… Do you hate Starbucks? 😨XD

I’m so sorry about your studio!  Actually, you remind me a lot of my sister, cuz she’s starting tae-kwon-do, and she likes korean pop intead of j-pop but close enough 😛 And 80s music is ah-maze-ing.  What’s your favorite song?

I play basketball and I’m think I’m doing track & field this year, but that depends on how bad my workload is this year, lol.

Anywayys, nice to get to know you better! 🤗

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                                  -gladiator, 2000

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >