Introducing Myself…

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Introducing Myself…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Racheal
    @r-e-p
      • Total Posts: 14

@rolena-hatfield Perhaps we are! Might depend on which part of the US you hail from. (That’s another interest of mine–genealogy. You probably don’t want to get me started… 😀 )
      I am a country-girl. Tell you, this corn up here in the mid-west seriously dwarfs me. I’m not from the mid-west really though, I’m Southern born and bred (as close as an Army brat can get). I love the South the most. I love the country because there is room–to grow things, raise critters, to run around (not that I’m doing much of that lately), and, truth be told, I can go out target shooting without wondering if I’m going to hit my neighbor’s house. I’d go stark raving crazy in a city–too many people. Crowds. *shivers*
      I take it you’re a country lady too? 🙂

Sarah Hoven
      @sarah-h
        • Total Posts: 669

@r-e-p I haven’t heard of the Midshipman Quinn books, but I quite agree about books targeted for boys. I grew up reading old adventure books like Jack Harkaway, Bob Steele, the Rover boys and Harry Castlemon’s Frank series. They don’t write books like that anymore….
        WWII is my favorite era to read/ write / research. I like discovering the stories of all the courageous men and women that the history books forgot. Often, the true stories are even wilder than fiction, and more inspiring.

Rolena Hatfield
        @rolena-hatfield
          • Total Posts: 405

@r-e-p Yep! I’m a country girl through and through! It’s all I’ve ever truly know. I like to go barefoot and enjoy the beauty of the wide open spaces and go outside to sing at the top of my lungs where I know no one will hear me 🙂
          Well I won’t get you started, unless you want to, :p but I love genealogy too. Have you ever written down what you know about your family’s history? I finally got my aunt to share with me about my dad’s side of the family, only stories and facts she knew and remembered. I was so excited! Anyway, my Parker’s are from Pennsylvania, we’re Pennsylvania-Dutch.

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Greta
          @gretald
            • Total Posts: 450

@r-e-p
            Hello and welcome to…(wait for it) the BESTISTEST PLACE ON THE INTERNET. Sorry, I had to do that, even though it seems you’ve already received that greeting multiple times already. What are some of your favorite books?

Grace W.
            @rebelutoinary
              • Total Posts: 32

@r-e-p We actually found out about the mold before the Lyme (I know, I know, usually it is the other way around!). But for about a year we didn’t have any idea what was going on. I spent that year in bed trying everything to try and fix it. And then we realized that the house (where I was spending all that time) was the issue. So we moved. And then we moved again. And at some point we figured the Lyme factor out as well. It’s a long story, I’m sure you can relate! I would love to talk with you sometime (like maybe Skype or the phone?). We have been struggling through this for about a year and a half, thankfully, I know that we may have a long way to go, but I am thankful that God showed us what was going on early on compared to most people who have to go through it.
              So you are a southern girl? Which kind of southern? The deep south? California southern? Florida southern?

Racheal
              @r-e-p

@sarah-h Showell Styles was a Welsh author. I’ve not read any of his other books outside of the Quinn series, but if they are as full of adventure and humour as those, I’m sure they’d be enjoyable to read.
                I have dreams of writing edge of your seat WWII screenplays…I’ll read something and file it away for “someday”. (Speaking of which, any other folks on here who dabble or seriously write screenplays?) WWII is near and dear to my heart, partly because my Grandpa was a WWII vet…

@rolena-hatfield
                I haven’t written down, as such, a great deal of what I know, but I have loads of it piled away in my head. We also have one of those on the computer genealogy programs with a lot of information on it too. I have a story idea that is basically a fictionalized account of my Parker’s. I think it would be fun to write and even more excuse to do more Florida history research… 🙂
                My Parker’s, as far back as we’ve managed to trace them, came from North Carolina (which I find somehow satisfying since I was born in North Carolina), though probably before that they were in Virginia. (I’m talking 1700’s here.) It is always so exciting to find a new fact…even for other people. 😀 (I occasionally get to running down other’s genealogy.)

@gretald
                Maybe I need to ask how to pronounce that. 🙂 Favorite books? Off the top of my head, a couple of those would be “Little Women”, the entire “Anne of Green Gables” series, “The Black Arrow” by R.L. Stevenson, and “The Red Keep” by Allen French. I do better with “Favorite Genre” or author: historical fiction and mysteries…and a number of favorite authors ranging from Alcott to G.A. Henty to Agatha Christie to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (by the way, were you aware that other than Sherlock Holmes, he wrote a couple of historical fiction books?)

@rebelutoinary
                Hi, Sarah! We found out about the Lyme first–only been seriously looking at mold for a good hunk of this year. One of the things currently in-progess with us is trying make our living area more healthy (I cannot wait to get the carpets out of my room!!) We live in the middle of farmland so we get all the outdoor, agriculture farm molds as well as the chemicals. There is no option of moving either since we a) take care of my grandma (it’s her property) and b) it’s my mother’s inheritance.
                Oh yes! I can relate to the long-story bit (amongst other things). Do you ever get tired of explaining to other people that you’re sick? I sure do.
                I confess that I don’t much like using the phone…I do have Skype, though. I really tend to lean the most towards email, so if you’d like my email address, I’d give it to you. 🙂 (I don’t know if my brain glitchy word-block has anything to do with it…)

“Oh yes I am a Southern girl, and glory in the name…” Heh. Song lyrics like to do that sometimes…
                Being an Army brat I’m not exactly from any particular state, though I claim Florida since both my parents are natives (amongst other reasons). I was born at Ft. Bragg, NC and have lived most of the rest of my life in various southern states. We currently reside in the mid-west. It’s different in many respects and I DO miss the grand ol’ live oaks and Spanish moss–and the Northern Mockingbirds. And my cows…but that’s a whole ‘nother long story (of which Lyme is a part, but not the focus). But yes, Southern by birth, heritage, and choice (meaning I’m a grayback 😉 ). That too is part of who I am…strongly. (Just visit my bedroom and you’ll see both 50-star US flags and a couple of Confederate flags scattered about–and roughly half my book shelf is Civil War books–most of which I, sadly, have yet to read.) [And by the way, just in case someone decides to tell you that Florida ain’t really Southern, try tellin’ us that. Florida was actually the third state to secede from the Union on January 10, 1861-the day after Georgia. We also, in ratio, provided the most men to the Confederate war effort. Of the 16,000 white males listed on the 1860 census, 15,000 enlisted in the Confederate forces. 😀 Enough information for one day, right?] One of those days, that information is going to be worked into one of my books…I think I even know which one. 🙂

Wow…I must rather chatty today……

Grace W.
                @rebelutoinary

@r-e-p Email is totally fine! 🙂 Yeah, sometimes does get old, telling people about it, and explaining it. It isn’t like you can say, “I have diabetes” and everyone knows what you mean (not to undermine any diabetes sufferers out there). I have to keep reminding myself that although this is the hundredth time today that I have been questioned, it is only this person’s first time. 🙂 On the other hand, I am surprised, though, at how many people DON’T ask.. I know they are wondering… 🙂 I am not insulting Florida! Far from it, I am a FL girl myself. That is the place that I have lived the longest, and my parents grew up there. What part of Florida were you in? Or are you still there? I lived in the panhandle when I was little and then down by Tampa/Clear Water later. Now I am in Arizona from Washington state.

Racheal
                  @r-e-p

@rebelutoinary
                    I didn’t think you were insulting Florida! I just got to thinking how I’ve heard people say that Florida isn’t “The South” and well, stuff fell off the ends of my finger-tips. 😉 Neat that you’re a native–even though you’re no longer there…(lived in Arizona for about two years. Fort Huachuca was my dad’s last duty-station before retiring.) The “home place” is DeSoto County. My married sister lives around the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area. The rest of us are actually in Indiana currently. Long story…

Okay, the email…I didn’t see a private message option, so here goes: flcasgr(at)mailaka(dot)net

Sorry if this is disjointed tonight. It’s been a bit of a rough day…and I can’t say that my brain has been functioning overly well.

Greta
                    @gretald
                      • Total Posts: 450

@r-e-p
                      I’ve read (well, listened to) Little Women and read Anne of Green Gables (but just the first book), and I loved both of those! And I LOVE SHERLOCK HOLMES!!! What are your favorite novels/short stories? Wow, I was not aware that A. Conan Doyle wrote historical fictions! I’ll have to check those out. 🙂

Grace W.
                      @rebelutoinary

@r-e-p I think it depends on the person you ask! Florida is definitely part of the south (my Godparents live on an old plantation), but I think that some parts have a very different culture than the deep south… some parts. And that’s just my opinion from my observations. 🙂

Grace W.
                        @rebelutoinary

@r-e-p I tried the email… it didn’t work…. 🙁

Racheal
                          @r-e-p

@rebelutoinary Oops. I really was off the beam. I got a couple of the letters mixed up! The first part is flcsagr. Sorry about that. :}

@gretald
                            Well, I really like O. Henry’s short stories. And I guess I’m rather partial to classic fairytales or similar stories–as might be evidenced by the fact that a good number of my own short stories (which really aren’t that many) are fairytale-esque. One of my favorite things to do with them is try to keep the same basic plot, but remove the “fantasy” from it. Not that I am completely against using fay-creatures and magic in a story, but it’s fun to try to get rid of it as a crutch. 😉

Hope Ann
                            @hope
                              • Total Posts: 1092

Welcome, @r-e-p …about a week late. *winces* I’m not on here as much as I used to be. And yes! I am not longer the oldest person on here. 😉 I’m 22…I think there are two or three older writers on the forum, but not many. 😀

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Grace W.
                              @rebelutoinary

@r-e-p Err, I tired the last email address fix… and, well, it didn’t work either…. 😉

Racheal
                                @r-e-p

@hope Thanks! 😀

@rebelutoinary
                                  Hmmm…flcsagr(at)mailaka(dot)net. I replaced the @ and the . with the written words because supposedly it’s a spam-protection measure. Wonder why it’s not working? (And I am not your resident tech support. 😉 Unfortunately, I’m not as savvy as I might like to be…)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >