In Search of Book Recommendations

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions In Search of Book Recommendations

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@lewilliams hello there! I haven’t heard from you since the Intern days 🙂

*Rubs hands together* I’ve got plenty of recs for you.

First of all, I recommend a good reread. Whenever I get in a reading slump, I do a reread of some of my favourites. I just finished a Narnia reread and I’m currently doing a LOTR reread (in which I also hope to read The Silmarillion for the first time). Maybe what you’ve been needing is a reread of the astonishing beauty that is LOTR?

However, I also have some other recs!

The Night Circus, a poetic and beautiful urban fantasy about two young magicians who fall in love.

Uprooted and Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. Two standalone fantasy novels set in an Eastern European setting with fantastic female characters and intriguing plots.

Kate Forsyth is an Australian author so I’m not sure how well-known she is in America, but she writes fairy tale retellings set in historical time periods. These are adult books though so I wouldn’t recommend them for any younger teens who might be looking for recs as well 😁

The Book Thief, but surely as a English major you’ve read the Book Thief?

Pendragon Cycle by Stephen Lawhead is another great Arthurian LoTR-esque fantasy series that I enjoyed.

How to Train Your Dragon and The Wizards  of Once by Cressida Cowell if you’re just looking for some fun MG with great characters and a rollicking plot.

Jane Eyre, currently doing a reread and I know you might be utterly sick of classics by now, but this one is so good, despite my dislike of Mr Rochester.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

relia
      @relia
        • Total Posts: 47

@lewilliams

A series I recently finished, The Queen’s Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, was very interesting and amusing as a casual read – beautifully written, with wonderful characters and captivating plots. The author did decide to go woke in the last book, but most of the first ones are quite a good option for someone who wants a lighter fantasy read.

I can't think of anything witty at the moment.

Abigail.M.
        @abigail-m
          • Total Posts: 1242

@lewilliams

That’s awesome! I would highly recommend ‘Dark Horse’ by John Fischer. It’s a beautiful short allegory, is my favorite book possible (fiction wise of course) and I highly recommend it! 😀

Elizabeth
          @lewilliams
            • Total Posts: 252

I think the forum ate my post, so we’re going to try this again. *headdesk*

…that awkward moment when you started a topic three weeks ago and never replied to anyone about it…oops 😛

Anyway, thanks guys for all the recommendations!!!

@nanisnook
            I haven’t, but since starting this topic I’ve started listening to the audio version of the first book and am definitely a fan!! Thanks for the rec! 😀

@lydia-s
            Thank you!!! 😀

@devastate-lasting
            Oooh those all sound intriguing! And, heh, my English classes actually strayed away from most classic lit? So I’m definitely interested in checking those out. 😀

@madelyn
            Wow, that’s a long list! Thank you for sharing 😀 (The Mysterious Benedict Society is definitely on my TBR list, so thank you for reminding me of it.)

@writerlexi1216
            (and also @daisy-torres) Ooooh I forgot that KoTLC was a thing!! I’ll try to snag one of the books–that definitely sounds up my alley. I’ve actually been meaning to re-read the Giver! And I definitely agree with you about the book being much better than the movie–I don’t think I’ll ever forgive them for changing the ages. >:(

@scripter-of-kingdoms
            Oh. My. Gosh. That title–I’m already in love. Thanks for the recommendation!!

@jodi-maile
            Yessss, Lloyd Alexander! I need to pick up some more of his books. And YES I love Redwall!! I practically devoured those books as a child–thanks for the reminder.

@gracie-j
            Lololol, for some reason it completely slipped my mind that a lot of KeePers have books of there own out there–always feel free to plug your writing, my friend. 😛 Thanks for the recs!

@joy-caroline Thank you for the recommendations!! I’ve seen quite a few Janette Oke books on my library’s shelves, so it would definitely be easy to get my hands on them, hehe.

@mkfairygirl
            Ooooh, fairytale stories! Yes please 😀 Oh yeah, I keep meaning to give Serafina a try! That’s the one set on/around the Biltmore estate, right?

@seekjustice
            Hi!!! Goodness, it’s been a while since then, hasn’t it? Hope life has been treating you well <3 Those all sound fantastic! Though, I’ll have to confess–I haven’t read The Book Thief OR Jane Eyre. (I’m a bad English major, I know.) Thank you for the recommendations!!!

@relia
            Ooooh that sounds quite interesting! Ah yes, authors going woke unfortunately happens a lot, it seems. Thanks!!

@abigail-m
            That sounds neat!!! If it’s your favorite book, then it definitely must be good. 🙂 Thank you 😀

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Alexa Autorski
            @writerlexi1216
              • Total Posts: 1011

@lewilliams

Ugh, this forum has eaten enough replies for a full meal XD Anyways, yes, do check them out! And then tell me your thoughts! *shudders* Yeah, the movie was okay-ish. Still can’t get over the character ages, though. (Also, another book I’ve heard great things about but have yet to read is The Ranger’s Apprentice, so you might want to give that a look!) <3 Good luck!

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting
                • Total Posts: 1700

@lewilliams Awesome! I love plugging in obscure foreign literature to others!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                Would you mind letting me know
                If hours don't turn into days

Gracie J.
                @gracie-j
                  • Total Posts: 1789

@lewilliams Haha, thanks! My pleasure! 😀

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Katherine
                  @mkfairygirl
                    • Total Posts: 549

@lewilliams Haha, better late than never!😜

Yep, the setting is Biltmore Estate. It’s a really good book! You should totally read it!!! 😉

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                    Fall in love with Jesus

Sara Ann {Spark}
                    @sparksaraabbott11
                      • Total Posts: 66

here are some books i love:

stepping heavenward, by Elizabeth Prentiss
                      a light for Christ trilogy, by Aleigha C. Israel
                      not my will, by Francena H. Arnold
                      fifteen: a compilation of poems, by Amie Woleslagle
                      the middle button, by Kathryn Worth
                      pounding hooves, by Dorothy Grunbock Johnston
                      Melendy quartet, by Elizabeth Enright
                      myanmar gold, by Mark A. Robinette
                      God’s smuggler, by brother Andrew, John & Elizabeth Sherrill
                      yellow star, by Jennifer Roy
                      they loved to laugh, by Kathryn Worth
                      the story of the Trapp family singers, by Maria Augusta Trapp
                      you’re not enough {and that’s okay}: escaping the toxic culture of self-love, by Allie Beth Stuckey
                      inside out and back again, by Thanhhà Lai
                      what Katy did, by Susan Coolidge
                      Ishmael, by E.D.E.N. Southworth
                      treasure island, by Robert Louis Stevenson
                      Mandie and the secret tunnel, by Lois Gladys Leppard
                      the Baker family adventure series, by C.R. Hedgcock

ok…. i better stop. lol.

music is the strongest form of magic.
                      -Marilyn Manson

Madelyn
                      @madelyn
                        • Total Posts: 115

@lewilliams

No problem!

Did you know that Disney made a TV show for The Mysterious Benedict Society? They’ve only released two episodes so far, but it’s actually really (and surprisingly) good!

Happy reading!

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Hullofellowhumans
                        @hullofellowhumans
                          • Total Posts: 26

Idk if you are still looking for some, may I suggest, Brandon Sanderson? His books are exquisite chefs kiss amazing books. He has a bunch of epic fantasy series set in a universe called the cosmere, which is sorta like a whole interconnected universe he is STILL building! My recs for cosmere stuff would be Mistborn or The Stormlight Archive. The Stormlight Archive are, in my opinion, his best books, though they are 1200 pages long each. He also writes YA books. Steelheart and skyward are good ones.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >