In Search of Book Recommendations

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions In Search of Book Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @lewilliams
      • Total Posts: 252

Hello friends!

I hope everyone is doing well <3

So, long story short, I’m attempting to “get back into” reading. It’s been a long while since I’ve read regularly for pleasure (I blame being an English major in college–it’s difficult to find the mental space for a “fun” book when you’re floundering through various reading lists, you see), and I would like to change that. Also I work at a library now, so I really have no excuse. 😛

So, I thought I would turn to you lovely KeePers for help! What are some books you love? (Or even just like.) I’m a big Tolkien and Lewis fan, have gone through most of N.D. Wilson’s works, and have the Wingfeather Saga sitting three feet away from me, if that helps.

I’m tagging some people, but please feel free to jump in even if I haven’t tagged you; chances are I just forgot your username 😛

@writerlexi1216
      @gracie-j @seekjustice @joy-caroline @devastate-lasting @jodi-maile @godlyfantasy12 @scripter-of-kingdoms @nova21 @lydia-s @elfwing @godlyfantasy12 @iluvhim18 @abigail-m @sparksaraabbott11 @daisy-torres @joelle-stone @mkfairygirl @issawriter7 @i’mforgettingsomanypeople @anybody @everybody @pleaseshareyourbookishknowledge

(Also do forgive me if you’re seeing this topic twice–something went wrong when I tried to post it the first time. Ah, technology.)

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Natalie C.
      @nanisnook
        • Total Posts: 154

@lewilliams

Have you read the Green Ember series? That’s definitely one of my favorites.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Natalie C.
        @nanisnook
          • Total Posts: 154

@lewilliams

Also, working in a library?? I am so jealous!!!! I would love to do that XD

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@lewilliams Ah, yes, books. Also something I’ve been struggling with lately. But I’d be glad to give you some reccs of books that I love! Although, I have to warn you…lately I haven’t been able to stomach anything other than classic lit, so maybe a lot of these books will have the same flavor as the things that you read for your college courses.

Without further ado, let’s jump in!

• The Brothers Karamazov – By Dostoyevsky, though I have to warn you it’s really heavy. But it is such a good book…
            • Ender’s Game – The last book I read. I’m not usually a sci-fi fan but this book is stunning.
            • East of Eden – One of my top three favorite books. Always will recommend.
            • Wind, Sand and Stars – I also don’t usually read memoirs, but this one is very beautiful. Plus, it’s by the author of my favorite book.
            • My Sweet Orange Tree – A sweet and heartbreaking book. I’ve been meaning to give it another read soon.
            • Night on the Galactic Railroad – A very short read. But it’s quite beautiful as well.

Ah, these are my five cents. I hope you find one you like!

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

Lydia S.
            @lydia-s
              • Total Posts: 399

@lewilliams

E.D.E.N. Southworth’s books are awesome! I’ve read Ishmael, its sequel Self-Raised, and I’m working on The Hidden Hand. They’re all set in pre-Civil War USA (Though Self-Raised takes place in several different countries.), and they’re very well written. Self-Raised is probably my favorite. 🙂 Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis is also a winner.

Daisy Torres
              @daisy-torres
                • Total Posts: 691

@lewilliams Highly recommend Keepers of the Lost city! I haven’t read them all but I’ve read like 7 of them and they’re great!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Issabelle Perry
                @issawriter7
                  • Total Posts: 976

@lewilliams Yeah, I get that. I’ve been trying to read more, too!!! Alrighty, *rubs hands together eagerly* I’m always down for giving out awesome recs. I don’t know if any of this will interest you, since I’m normally a loner in the books I enjoy. XD But I just recently read Fawkes by Nadine Brandes and Dust by Kara Swanson and they were SO GOOD!!!! I’m currently reading Thirst by Jill Williamson and I’ve been REALLY enjoying it, too!!!!!!! And I also really like The Broken Prince by Kara Linaburg and AnYtHiNg by Jennifer A. Nielsen and Chuck Black.

Okay, that was a lot. XD

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                  TeenWritersNook.com

Gracie J.
                  @gracie-j
                    • Total Posts: 1789

@lewilliams ^^^^ Issabelle stole most of my recs. XD Let’s see…I don’t read a ton of fantasy, so I’ll have to do some digging…

Anything by Anne Elisabeth Stengl. She’s got that Lewis/Tolkien vibe down, for sure.

Left Behind by Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye. I read the kids’ series back in d-a-y, and I’ve been meaning the read the adults’ version…but, yeah, highly recommended if you like books about the end times.

Shadow Road by A.E. Pennymaker. This one was a winner for me! It has that classic vibe to it, but it’s still exciting and fast-paced. Kinda seapunk/steampunk, I guess. Can’t really define it.

Anything by the notorious novelist Grace A. Johnson. (Had to throw in a plug for moi. XD)

*realizes all of the good books she could recommend are ones she’s beta-reading* I do suggest getting yo’self an ARC of Ignite by our very own Jenna Terese.

If you like romances, I’ve got a loooooong list, but I’ll spare you if that’s not your taste. Oh, and there’s always Pride and Prejudice. Can’t beat that. OH! And Gone with the Wind! (But that’s, like, my motto: Read Gone with the Wind. XD)

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Jodi Maile
                    @jodi-maile
                      • Total Posts: 138

@lewilliams

Ah, I totally understand about college reading lists. And I would recommend The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander but you’ve already read that series…

If you like historical fiction (and are okay with a legal thriller) I would suggest The Trials of Kit Shannon by James Scott Bell! It’s a series about a girl in 1903 who is trying to become a trial lawyer in Los Angeles.

If you haven’t read the Redwall books by Brian Jacques, they’re a great mix of fantasy and adventure and sometimes even mystery. Plus all the characters are animals living in a medieval fantasy forest, so…it’s fun!

Of course, Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery is a great read!

I’ll be sure to let you know if I have any other recommendations 🙂

Madelyn
                      @madelyn
                        • Total Posts: 115

@lewilliams

I had to hop on as soon as I saw the title XD

Older Classics:

• The Wide, Wide World by Susan Warner. I really really love this book; it is a slow read but so worth it.
                        • Jane Austen Books: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey.
                        • Jane Erye by Charlotte Bronte (though, to be fair, I haven’t finished it yet).
                        • The Hidden Hand by E.D.E.N. Southworth (this book does get fairly dark at times)

Modern Fiction:

• Fawkes by Nadine Brandes. This is one of the most unique story concepts I have ever read.
                        • A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd. This is beautifully written; a whimsical and magical story.
                        • The Story Thieves series by James Riley. I’m pretty sure this is technically geared towards ages 9-13, but it is jam-packed full of twists and keeps you on the edge of your seat! Also, a very unique story concept.
                        • Books by Jessica Day George (series and trilogies are in brackets): {Dragon Slippers, Dragon Flight, Dragon Spear}, {Tuesdays at the Castle, Wednesdays in the Tower, Thursdays with the Crown, Fridays with the Wizards, Saturdays at Sea}, {The Rose Legacy, The Queen’s Secret, The Rider’s Reign}.
                        • The Viking Quest Series by Lois Walfrid Johnson
                        • The Ascendance Series by Jennifer A. Nielsen.
                        • The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart and The Secret Keepers by the same author.
                        • The Kingdom Series and The Knights of Arrethae Series by Chuck Black
                        • The Green Ember Series by S.D. Smith

That got significantly longer than I had intended 😉

Looking back, a few of these were already mentioned, but I still couldn’t leave them out of my list 🙂

Happy reading!

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Alexa Autorski
                        @writerlexi1216
                          • Total Posts: 1011

@lewilliams

*grins cheekily* *rubs hands together* Oh goodness, thank you for beginning such a lovely (and helpful) topic! You’re not the only one racking the shelves for good books. XD Anyways, I’d love to help you out if I could with finding some book recommendations, my dear writing friend. 😉 Though, I think we have similar taste, so most of my favorite books are probably some of yours as well, hence why I don’t have many recommendations.

So first, I’d have to say Keeper of the Lost Cities. It’s high-fantasy (the main character is half-elf, so just to let you know) and I found it very enjoyable to read. The characters have different types of magic too, so that makes it even more interesting. The aesthetic (and book covers) is *chef’s kiss* magnificent. There’s seven books total, though I’ve only read the first one and begun the second:)

Second, have you ever read The Giver? If not, I would highly recommend it because it’s amazing (and, in my opinion, much better than the movie) and I just love Lois Lowry’s storytelling and writing style. It’s so unique!

I feel like I’m forgetting a very important book, but you’ll have to excuse my klutziness because I just returned from a trip and my brain is… not working. Anyways, do give those a look! Of course I’d also recommend Percy JacksonNarniaThe Wingfeather Saga, and others, but I’m sure you’ve probably read/own most of those. Hopefully that was of some help, and good luck finding a book! (Also that’s just way too amazing that you’re working at a library:) How’s that been by the way?)

Alexa Autorski
                          @writerlexi1216
                            • Total Posts: 1011

@lewilliams

I just now realized you mentioned you already liked some of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis’ works (and owned TWS), so sorry about that. XD. Also, I just remembered: if you ever want to try out a nonfiction book, you could look into The Writer’s Journey. It helps you structure your story, figure out character roles, and also touches on the Three-Act Story Structure. Just thought I’d throw that out there if you wanted to give it a look! It’s quite popular and helpful! 🙂

Kads
                            @scripter-of-kingdoms
                              • Total Posts: 765

@lewilliams

I got one book. Only one. But it is the best book you’re ever gonna read.

What We Found In The Sofa and How It Saved The World by Henry Clark.

I’m not gonna bother explaining it. I’ll sound insane if I do.

Just read it.

Make me happy.

And that is all I have to say.

staring at the fields
                              if nothing's really real
                              i'll make the winter now my home

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 1379

@lewilliams

Les Misérables and To Kill a Mockingbird are obviously my top recommendations. One word to describe them? Beautiful.

But since you probably already knew I would say that, here are some others I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned on here before:

• When Calls the Heart by Janette Oke – a very sweet, spiritual, and delightful romance between a schoolteacher and a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman.
                                • The Fourteenth Goldfish and The Third Mushroom by Jennifer L. Holm. The genre is science fiction for kids and I loved this series when I was in elementary – and still love it now! If you’re looking for a light-hearted, fun series that will make you laugh, this one is great. It’s about a tween girl who develops a friendship with her grumpy scientist grandfather when he finds a way to reverse aging and turn himself into a teenager.
                                • The Blythes are Quoted by L.M. Montgomery. It’s technically the ninth book of the Anne of Green Gables series, but hasn’t gotten 10% of the attention the other books have. If you love Montgomery and Anne, I recommend. Warning, though: The themes are quite dark and there’s hardly any – or at least not a lot – of hope or redemption in most of the stories. But I do keep this one on the shelf because I love Montgomery and Anne – and also because in its own right, it is a quite powerful read. It’s tragic and thought-provoking, and makes for some great discussions. If you ever do read it, I’d love to hear your opinion on it.
                                • They Called Her Mrs. Doc – another Janette Oke read. Her books are always so spiritual and inspiring, and never have any inappropriate content. I love her as an author. They Called Her Mrs. Doc is about a young woman from high society who chooses to marry a young doctor and head into the wilderness with him.

Hope these recommendations helped you!

Katherine
                                @mkfairygirl
                                  • Total Posts: 549

@lewilliams I with ya, girl!! I want to read a WHOLE LOT more now that I’m off of school!!!!😜 Also, high-fives for getting a job at the library!!!!!! That’s so cool!!!!! 😀

So for book recommendations:

1.  The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (this is the first book in The Ascendance Series)
                                  2. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (this book is PHENOMENAL–the movie not so much)
                                  3. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
                                  4. Conceal, Don’t Feel; A Twisted Tale by Jen Calonita
                                  5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (so far I’ve only read part 1, but it’s been so AMAZING!)
                                  6. Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty (this is a fantasy thriller btw)
                                  7. My Diary From the Edge of the World by Jodi Lynn Anderson
                                  8. Ever After High by Shannon Hale

Also, I saw @madelyn recommend A Snicker of Magic, so I going to recommend The Key to Extraordinary by Natalie Lloyd as well. Oh, and you might be interested in E.D. Baker. She writes a lot of fairy tale, princessey stories, and they’re just wonderful!!!!!

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                                  Fall in love with Jesus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >