If you could be a student of any Author, who would it be?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week If you could be a student of any Author, who would it be?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer
      • Total Posts: 243

@kathleenramm Definitely! Maybe you could just be a student of the Inklings and learn from all of them. ;D

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
      @william-starkey
        • Total Posts: 634

@kathleenramm Well, first: Professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. Or what about Paul? John the Baptist? Peter? Jesus? (Jesus is teaching me more to this life.) Though admittedly, Lewis would be cool. I have a feeling that he and I would mostly laugh the whole time, though.

Then there are poets…gosh; that could be hard picking, there, folks. Or how about comic book authors? Zits? Peanuts? Calvin and Hobbes? (Even children’s stories should be good enough for adults to read.)

@hobbitchild
        Hey, Hobbitchild, hi ya doing? (Can I just call you Beatrice? Or how about Edna? Edith? Elanor? Or what about Patrisha? Patty? No, probably not. I mean, Hobbitchild is a bit awkward rolling off the tongue, ya know? How about Agnes? Can I call you Agnes?) I agree with Tolkien, not about Doyle, though; (Doyle is actually a family name, so…hey, maybe I’m secretly famous?) I heard he got pretty messed up. P.S. I’ve listened to the drama series, too; they’re pretty great sometimes.

@devastate-lasting
        I have a colorful history with Fahrenheit 451. I hate it. (…XD…)

@r-m-archer
        Hey, Ms Archer Lady; I agree on that Tolkien thing. Though, I greatly enjoyed The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion was a legend. I particularly enjoyed how he portrayed the death of Fingolfin. There was something else in there among the other somethings, as well…but I forgot what it was.

@morwen
        I agree; nice profile picture, by the way.

@charisetter
        Tolkien seems to be a theme; by the way, Agatha Christie is one of the best mystery writers of all time, if not THE best. You could learn a whole lot from her. I think she’s dead, though.

@william-starkey

@r-m-archer Yeah! Why not?

R.M. Archer
          @r-m-archer

[quote quote=84394]Hey, Ms Archer Lady[/quote]

@leon-fleming I’m… not sure whether to be flattered, amused, or just very confused at this title. XD

I really enjoyed The Hobbit the first time I read it. I was younger at the time. And I certainly don’t dislike it now, it’s just not tops on my list, lol. And I definitely agree that The Silmarillion is a legend, even if it can be difficult to get through. XD The amount of thought and work that went into both the world and the characters of Middle Earth is phenomenal.

Riah Black
            @morwen
              • Total Posts: 31

@leon-fleming

Thanks

Utúlië-n äure - auta í lomë

Charis
              @charisetter
                • Total Posts: 33

@leon-fleming Oh my word! I forgot Agatha Christie! **goes to hide in a hole for the rest of my life in shame**

Here, I’ll change my answer to Tolkien (for help in descriptions and world building), Agatha Christie (for help in writing compelling mysteries), and Lewis (for incorporating Christian themes into my writing). But please don’t ask me to choose just one lol

A Very Tookish Hobbit (a.k.a. Fool of a Took)

@william-starkey

@r-m-archer XD Yeah, I thought it would work pretty well, considering…you can feel all of those if you want, of course.

Yea; The Hobbit is up there for me. Actually, I read The Silmarillion in one day. XD I loved it; it was pretty good. I really enjoyed it; it’s one of my favourite books. I thought it was pretty well written. I liked it; it was pretty good…you get the point.

@morwen
                  Yeah, anytime.

@charisetter
                  XD *peeks through the curtains into the darkness of the hole* Uhh…hello? *slowly walks in and comes face to face with a small little groundhog* I, uh…oh. Sorry, wrong hole.

Tolkien definitely put a lot of time in crafting his little fantasy Arda; he began as a young child making his own languages. His father died when he was still quite young, so he was left with just him, his mother, and his little brother. His mother taught him many things in art at a young age; I heard a story where his mother (Mabel) threw away all the work he put into one of his languages because she thought it was a waste of time. I don’t know if that’s true, though…he made his fantasy world because he needed a world wherein his languages could flourish. Languages have history, and Tolkien, as a future philologist, needed to connect his languages to events and the like. And things like that, and more and more, and so on and so on, etc.

Okay, I won’t then. Please choose just two. (XD)

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting
                    • Total Posts: 1700

@leon-fleming XD As a person who finds herself hating well-liked books from time to time, I am quite interested in hearing why you hate it. Do I sense a story hear?

Lately, it's been on my brain
                    Would you mind letting me know
                    If hours don't turn into days

R.M. Archer
                    @r-m-archer

@leon-fleming ONE DAY??? That’s seriously impressive. I don’t even remember how long it took me, lol.

@william-starkey

@devastate-lasting XD Yes, maybe; I really just don’t like it. I’m not interested in reading stuff like that, I really have no interest in dystopian, and my past English teacher assigned the book to his 9nth-grade English class in which there was a 12-year-old who was practically a genius. He wasn’t the best teacher in the world. And he did that right after a huge fire that razed and entire town near to us to the ground in a matter of days. The guy took the book down…heh-heh. That’s a story in of itself.

@r-m-archer
                        Yeah; I didn’t have much to do that day, as you can imagine. XD

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting
                          • Total Posts: 1700

@leon-fleming Oh boy. Those are perfectly acceptable reasons. Hope you found other books to read that you liked. (Which, probably, you did XD)

Lately, it's been on my brain
                          Would you mind letting me know
                          If hours don't turn into days

Kathleen
                          @kathleenramm
                            • Total Posts: 635

@leon-fleming

Why didn’t I think of Agatha Christie?! I’m sure that there are tons of writing lessons I could learn from her. Writing mystery novels are not what you would call my strong suit. Not by a long shot.

I am ashamed to say that I have not read the Silmarillion yet. Though I intend on reading it as soon as possible. My brother as been reminding me to do so since the dawn of time.

@r-m-archer

Sounds like plan! Hook me up with a time machine would you? (Mine got stolen by a mysterious group of  thieves, that I’ve been hunting down for 4 years and 2 months now). I don’t want to spread any rumors or anything, this is just a theory, but not too long ago a person joined the forum by the name of @not-so-secret-secret-assassin.  I thought nothing of it, he was a nice (but strange), fellow that minded his own business on the forum. Until one starless night I saw him sneaking around the castle all suspicious like. I confronted him and asked what he was doing sneaking around the Castle of Pen so late at night and he said, and I quote, “nothing in particular. What are you doing sneaking around the castle of Pen late at night?” As you can see, he turned the tables on me and put me in a tight position. Very conniving of him I would say. The good thing was, is that I had extra smoke bombs on me from the day before and was able to make a quick escape. The next morning I went to my hidden garage where my time machine was at to travel to 2016 for a VERY important mission. But when I stepped into the garage my time machine was nowhere to be found. In it’s place was a scrap of paper with the mysterious group of thieves signature on it that they leave behind whenever they make a robbery. I don’t want to jump to any conclusions or anything, but @not-so-secret-secret-assassin hasn’t been on the forum since. So whether or not @not-so-secret-secret-assassin is part of the mysterious group of thieves or not, I’m not sure. Only once I track down the mysterious group of thieves I will know for sure.

(Sorry for the long tangent, but it’s been awhile since I’ve done one).

Gracie J.
                            @gracie-j
                              • Total Posts: 1789

I appears to me *nudges glasses up bridge of her nose and squints to ensure she’s seeing everything correctly* that y’all are definitely more interested in the writers of the past. Hmm. That being said, I think I’ll refrain from rattling off my long-list of living authors and stick to the dead. (My, that sounds morbid, doesn’t it?)

St. Paul, firstly, because all of the Books of the Bible he wrote are my favorites. (Particularly 1st Corinthians.) Then King David. *readjusts glasses and temples fingers beneath chin* I’ll go ahead and throw in Bonhoeffer for good measure. Maybe he doesn’t count since he was a preacher and theologian, but I’m a third of the way through The Cost of Discipleship, and I’m convinced that he’s a guy to learn from. Jane Austen. Georgette Heyer. C. S. Lewis, of course. Margaret Mitchell. I mean, to learn at the foot of Rhett Butler’s creator, his mother? I want to know all her secrets. I want to know if, in some place in her heart, at some time, she knew Rhett and Scarlett would find each other again! Yep. Definitely Margaret Mitchell.

(Please tell me I’m not the only one obsessed with Gone with the Wind? I mean, everyone else who is that I know of is fifty or older. Tell me I’m not alone in this generation! Please!)

Oh, the writers of Pirates of the Caribbean. Do scriptwriters count? I mean, the people who turned Johnny Depp into Jack Sparrow need to pass their knowledge onto someone, don’t they? I’d be happy to take up the mantle…savvy?

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

@william-starkey

@devastate-lasting Yep, you bet I probably might have.

@kathleenramm
                                Oh, yea; AChristie was definitely knowledgable in that category of writing. (Really? My brother used to do that to me all the time. XD)

@gracie-j
                                Yeah; interestingly enough, dead people are the topics of many conversations around here. I agree; Paul (and David) would definitely be great people to learn from.

I, well…no, I haven’t ever read Gone With the Wind. I’ve only heard about it a lot and read a storyline on Goodreads. I’m assuming it’s good?

Aye, mate; I’m sure the scriptwriters count. After all, they’re technically writing stories when doing their jobs…though they mightn’t be their own stories.

Gracie J.
                                @gracie-j
                                  • Total Posts: 1789

@leon-fleming *Gasps, very much like Scarlett O’Hara herself, with a hand clasp to her thundering heart as all the blood drains from her face* You…you…you have n-never read Gone with the Wind? Have you at least watched the movie? No, no. I doubt that. You young whippersnappers these days have no sense of culture, art, any and all good things!

Actually, the movie is better than the book. Which is crazy, because it’s very rare that a movie would be better than the book. Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable brought the story to life–along with Olivia de Havilland (rest in peace, Melanie) and Leslie Howard–on the big screen in a way no other Hollywood production has ever done or ever will do before. (Despite the fact that they totally forwent adding Scarlett’s other children, which actually wasn’t much of a loss, since they didn’t play big roles in the book.) But, literature-wise, Gone with the Wind was definitely a masterpiece of historical and romantic proportions. Mitchell’s characters showed the affects of the Civil War in the South and then the Restoration in a way no other piece has done before–sorry, The Leopard’s Spots. She kind of drifted from time to time (but I suppose that was customary for 20th century writers) and, if I remember correctly, there was quite a bit of unnecessary language, but otherwise it was a very good book. I highly recommend it. To all of you uncultured youths.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >