If you could be a student of any Author, who would it be?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week If you could be a student of any Author, who would it be?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

If you could be a student of any Author, (past or the present), who would it be?

My answer is C.S. Lewis. I’ve loved his fiction books for as long as I can remember. And more recently, have now fallen in love with his non-fiction works.

What I like best about is writing is how imaginative and creative it is,  and how seamlessly he weaves his themes and allegories into his stories. I’d love to learn how he creates such unique and interesting stories as well as learn how he so gracefully and powerfully puts his themes into his stories.

Also, I think he would be such a nice person and teacher to be around. Being his student would honestly be an huge honor for me.

Hobbitchild
      @hobbitchild
        • Total Posts: 32

I’d say either J.R.R. Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, or Andrew Clements. Oh, or Beverly Cleary (who, surprisingly, I think is still alive). She is in her hundreds.

@kathleenramm
        , I’ve just been listening to the Narnia radio dramas by Focus on the Family again! They are so well done!

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Definitely, definitely Ray Bradbury. Ever since I read Fahrenheit 451 I have learned how to spell Fahrenheit and have fallen in love with his prose. Every time I write after I read his work I am just filled with something that possess my hand to write long descriptive sentences.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

R.M. Archer
          @r-m-archer
            • Total Posts: 243

@devastate-lasting Yes! Bradbury’s prose is amazing! I remember reading the first paragraph of Fahrenheit 451 and immediately pausing in awe because the fire motif was so strong already.

I’d choose Tolkien, though. His worldbuilding, his language-building, his characters and character relationships and focus on ordinary people… I would just love to learn from him. And he seems like he’d be an awesome person to be around, too.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm

@hobbitchild

Yes Focus on the Family did a great job with those! I’ve read the books at least twice, but listened to the audio drama countless times. XD

@devastate-lasting

Some of the best books are the ones that change  the way you write. (Except for the awful books that teach you how NOT to write.) I too love it when I read amazing piece of work that makes me feel inspired to write. Whenever I’m reading a really great book I find it so much easier to write.

@r-m-archer

Tolkien was my close second! In fact I had to debate for a couple minutes before I chose. What’s your favorite book from him?

R.M. Archer
              @r-m-archer
                • Total Posts: 243

@kathleenramm I’ve been rereading The Lord of the Rings and I love it. I’m not so big a fan of The Hobbit or The Silmarillion (I found the former a little boring and the latter just complex and long, though I still appreciate them for their craftsmanship and stories), and I haven’t read much of his other work yet. But I love The Lord of the Rings. ^-^

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Riah Black
                @morwen
                  • Total Posts: 31

J. R. R. Tolkien. No doubt about it.

Utúlië-n äure - auta í lomë

Charis
                  @charisetter
                    • Total Posts: 33

@r-m-archer It’s interesting that you found the Hobbit boring; it was originally a bedtime story so it was meant for younger audiences whereas The Lord of the Rings was Tolkien’s precious (pun intended) to prove that all his world building and whatnot could be incorporated into an actual work.

I would probably choose Tolkien (because I struggle with descriptions) or Doyle (because I love mysteries but I can’t write them very well) and I think I could learn these things from both of them.

A Very Tookish Hobbit (a.k.a. Fool of a Took)

Merie Shen
                    @merieshenanigans
                      • Total Posts: 38

@kathleenramm I’d choose C.S. Lewis too xD His books have actually been a bigger part of my life than Tolkien (I still haven’t read LotR)… or anyone else’s, for that matter. It would definitely be an honor to learn from him!

~ always be a happy camper ~

Charis
                      @charisetter

@merieshenanigans I love CS Lewis, but I are you sure you want to admit to not reading Tolkien on here? That could be a dangerous admonishment (jk but seriously you need to get the audiobook for it or something lol)

Merie Shen
                        @merieshenanigans

@charisetter Haha, pretty much everyone on here who’s ever talked to me knows that by now xD And don’t worry, I really do want to read Tolkien, as soon as I manage to get my hands on some good copies of LotR. I have The Hobbit, which I’m actually trying to go through in two languages at once, so there’s that? Haha

Charis
                          @charisetter

@merieshenanigans If you like audiobooks, there are some good ones on YouTube. That’s how I get through  some of my harder texts faster because I can multitask that way. I’m “reading” Silmarillion via YouTube rn while I pack for school.

Thats cool that you can read it in two languages, which ones are they?

Merie Shen
                            @merieshenanigans

@charisetter I’m terrible with audiobooks! While I enjoy them, it’s hard for me to commit to them. I’m usually better with reading because my mind wanders like crazy when I’m listening.

I have a copy in English and another in Chinese. I’ve read like 3 pages in Chinese so far and am more than halfway through in English, lol.

Charis
                              @charisetter

@merieshenanigans I get the mind wandering thing. I have to do something with my hands while listening or else I’ll do the same.

Mandarin or Cantonese? Either way, consider me impressed. I grew up in China and to this day can’t read more than 10-20 characters lol I’m conversational but can’t read the characters

Kathleen
                                @kathleenramm

@r-m-archer

I also enjoyed the LotR much more. I liked the Hobbit, but it was definitely geared more towards children. Not a bad thing, I just prefer more serious books. So I do like the LotR more than the Narnia series as well, but if I had to only choose one author to be a student of, it would still be C.S. Lewis for the reasons I said in my original post. Being a student of both J.R.R Tolkien and C.S. Lewis would be ideal, however much impossible. I mean, imagine how good my novels would be!XD

@merieshenanigans

Cool! Which one of C.S. Lewis’s books is your favorite?

@charisetter

I love audiobooks as well! They will never replace reading of course, but I absolutely love to listen to audiobooks while I’m drawing or cleaning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >