How many of you are published?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform How many of you are published?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Gracie J.
    @gracie-j
      • Total Posts: 1789

@r-m-archer It is strange. *shrugs* I LOVED This Present Darkness! My dad tried to get me to read it when I was about eight (again, strange), but it was over my head then, so I didn’t read it until I was closer to twelve or thirteen. I liked that one much more than Piercing the Darkness.

That’s happened to me before, where posts will disappear after editing. It’s good and bad to know I’m not the only one…

The Little Mermaid is one of the only Disney princess movies I’ve ever watched. That one and Frozen. Despite being a Disney Channel kid (shoutout to everyone who spent their evenings watching Hannah Montana and The Suite Life as a kid), my family has never been into Disney, particularly the princess movies. My dad has also been restrictive on Narnia and LOTR–of course, we won him over on Narnia after watching the movies, but the LOTR movies are not on his watchlist. As for the books, I read in secret… 😉

I don’t remember there ever being anything to avoid in the last few Narnia books, but it has been a few years.

We’ve always been very conservative (of which I have no qualms whatsoever) about what we watch/read/listen to, so I’ve gotten used to it. I think it’s stranger to me when I hear that someone isn’t. 😆

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer
        • Total Posts: 243

@gracie-j I don’t remember which one I preferred, out of the two. I really need to reread them, lol. I think I read them… prior to keeping track of my reading, it looks like, so at least four years ago.

I didn’t watch a whole lot of Disney princess movies growing up. I watched a lot of other Disney movies, but the princesses weren’t a big thing, except when it comes to Beauty and the Beast. That was one we had on VHS, and since Belle is wonderful I watched that one a lot. XD

That’s so strange. Do you know what his reasoning is behind that? You’d think they’d be cleared, since they’re clean and Christian… I’m with @seekjustice on being very curious, lol.

It was just the rebellion thing with The Horse and His Boy. It’s a total non-issue at this point and has been for years, I just never had a strong desire to figure out when the rule aged out, lol.

LOL. I think my parents are pretty balanced. They didn’t let us watch or read anything outrageous, but they were more worried about teaching us how to interpret and think about media than about keeping us from (imo, reasonable) content, so they focused more on talking about things with us than limiting our exposure to media. I think it was effective in developing my taste so I’m uncomfortable with things that should make me uncomfortable and I just avoid them on my own, but I still take in a lot of different media and get exposure to both good and bad and learn which is which. And I’ve rarely balked at my parents’ restrictions, because I always know they’re for a specific purpose and I have free rein for plenty of other things. It’s worked well for me. And I’m glad to hear your parents’ rules work well for you. 🙂

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j
          • Total Posts: 1789

@r-m-archer Well, it was all because of the witch. All my dad knew about Narnia was that there was a witch in it, so he was automatically wary of it. Once we watched the movies (which he really loves, actually), he realized that it was all an allegory to Jesus and Satan, so now he’s a fan. 😉

As for LOTR, he watched the movies back when they came out, and he just didn’t like them, so he’s not game on seeing them again. I don’t think he has any qualms about me reading the books…but then, I’m not sure he even knows I am.

Great parenting style. 😉 I don’t think my parents have been overprotective or have sheltered us to the point of me and my siblings being super naïve. (I know I’m not, and I’m super grateful for the way they’ve raised me.) We know the difference between right and wrong, more so because we’ve been exposed to those things in our extended family than through the media. Therefore, we avoid things in the media that depict wrong as right (and therefore skew our perspective of what we see in our everyday lives), and focus on what is good, right, acceptable, etc., and discerning between what is and what isn’t. We’ve seen where the media, exposure to certain things, and getting sucked into all of that can negatively affect people, so we’re very wary of how much or lenient we are of what we’re exposed to. Make sense?

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

R.M. Archer
          @r-m-archer
            • Total Posts: 243

@gracie-j Ahhh, gotcha. That makes some sense.

Hm. I personally love both the movies and the books. But, as always, the books are better. ;D

*nods* That also sounds like a pretty good approach. 🙂

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          >