How do you develop your story ideas?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions How do you develop your story ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

@issawriter7

First off, please be sure you don’t hurt yourself. Second, your process is quite unique and fun, for sure.

@mkfairygirl

Sounds very efficient! I’ll have to try that. I’m actually planning on spending a lot of time with character interviews this week.

@nova21

An idea notebook? That sounds like such a fun idea! Writers and notebooks are best friends, indeed. I also definitely concur that ideas can come from so many places.

Issabelle Perry
      @issawriter7
        • Total Posts: 976

@joy-caroline

Haha, I…um…can’t make any promises. XD Aww, THANKS, girl!!!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
        TeenWritersNook.com

Abigail.M.
        @abigail-m
          • Total Posts: 1242

@joy-caroline

I know precisely what you mean and that is the very thing that I’ve been stuck on for so long! (Three years and one draft worth). I mean I have subplots and have an idea of how things will go, I have no idea what the ultimate main conflict is, (I thought I was the only one with this struggle with their WIP).

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m
            • Total Posts: 1242

@issawriter7

Wait, you act out scenes from your novel too? *High five* I love doing that:D
            (I usually act out parts of my novel when doing farm chores or such… the horses and chickens probably think I’m nuts XD ). But seriously, it’s SO much fun!!! Plus it helps get into the characters’ heads. Ooh, what’s your favorite type of scene to act out?

Anonymous

@issawriter7

Np!

@abigail-m

You’re definitely not the only one. I have that same exact problem. Don’t feel pressured though, we shall both figure it out! 😀

Issabelle Perry
              @issawriter7
                • Total Posts: 976

@abigail-m

*gasp* NO WAY!!!! *high fives you back* That is SO cool!!! Hahahah, YESS!!! I sometimes do it while I’m cleaning, doing the dishes, or taking my dog outside. 😉 YES IT IS!!!!! Man, I’m sooo glad I’m not the only one who thinks so. EXACTLY!! Hmmm probably the really serious conversation scenes or the suuuper intense fight scenes. It’s waay too hard to choose. 😉 What about you?

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                TeenWritersNook.com

Katherine
                @mkfairygirl
                  • Total Posts: 549

@joy-caroline Thank you!!! 🙂 Oooh, cool!!!!! I love writing character interviews in my character journal. They’re a lot of fun!!!!! 🙂

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                  Fall in love with Jesus

Katherine
                  @mkfairygirl
                    • Total Posts: 549

@abigail-m I’m the same way. I have lots of subplot ideas, but not really any main plot. You’re not the only one, girl!🙂💗

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                    Fall in love with Jesus

Libby
                    @libby
                      • Total Posts: 59

@joy-caroline

Most of my story ideas come from dreams that I have… super bizarre, but generally I daydream about them and add and add to the story until I realize, hey, this would actually make a pretty intriguing book.  Usually, I’d start writing without any planning… so I have a lot of unfinished first drafts :'(

Recently, my process has evolved a bit, especially as I’m working on a book I’m serious about getting published.  I basically had an idea (I don’t remember how this one came to be at the moment), thought a ton about it for weeks, talked with a person who had some helpful ideas, and gradually drew my plot from there. Right now, my life is more busy than I like, which leaves me with precious little time to write.  I’m taking my time with this novel and really milking the process of getting to know my characters, creating Pinterest boards, adding little by little to their pasts, their fears, their motivations, what’s influenced them, who they are at the core.  As I go through that process, the plot deepens and grows.  When summer comes, my hope is to get into outlining (something I’ve never done before, so…) and then writing while I can.  But yeah, I think it’s just a lot of thinking for me.  I have an imagination, though it’s not terribly good (I’m working on that, haha) and I use it while I’m passionate about my idea, as well as getting inspiration from Pinterest, and the whole process generally revolves around fleshing out and getting to know my characters.

That’s an example of long and rambly for you : )

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Anonymous

@libby

Wow, sounds awesome! It’s totally okay to take a lot of time preparing your novel, as the actual writing will go a whole lot smoother. It’s also really cool you’re planning to outline. I am an outliner, so I’m always pumped when someone else decides to try that way.

Thanks for sharing!

imwritehere1920
                        @imwritehere1920
                          • Total Posts: 92

@joy-caroline

Hi Joy!  Eeeep!  I love your glasses!  They are super cute!

Really good question! Let’s see.  Normally, when I get a story idea (from animals, snippets of dialogue/conversation, or just playing ‘what if’, etc.) I usually jot down the idea in my idea notebook and I’m really good at doing that every time I get an idea and I don’t let the idea float away. XD

If it’s a really intriguing idea I let my mind explore ‘what if’.  I try to find a unique, or more compelling angle to the plot, and then I think of the possible theme.  (For me, the plot idea usually comes first, with an inkling of the gender of the character; names often come later.)  Then, when I’m ready to expand further on the idea, I take notes on the MC’s internal conflict, external conflict, theme, high stakes, etc.  Finally, I draw up a first draft of an outline.

I hope that makes sense. 🙂

@nova21

Awesome!  I use idea notebooks all the time!  Recently, I’ve been trying to create ‘genre’ sections in my notebook for ideas (i.e ideas for Contemporary stories, fantasy, children’s, etc.). I keep the sections pretty general as some ideas could blend different genres/or I change my mind about the setting.

Dream. Write. Inspire.

https://thepencilsisters.com

Anonymous

@imwritehere1920

Aw, thanks, Lily! 😀

The “what-if” method is definitely a very effective one, one I’ve used myself. In fact, while plotting The Apostle’s Sister, asking tons of “what-if” questions surrounding the events in Paul’s life is what helped me come up with so many plot points.

Thanks for sharing your process!

Elizabeth
                            @lewilliams
                              • Total Posts: 252

@joy-caroline Oh this is such an interesting topic!! I’ve loved getting to read about everyone’s processes. 😀

For me, I usually have to talk my ideas out. Sometimes that takes the form of rambling on and on in a parenthetical aside in the midst of my Google Doc/Scrivener document, other times it takes the form of me trying to explain something to my husband and going “OH but WHAT IF–” and going on from there.

Then other times I’m innocently washing dishes and an idea hits me out of nowhere and throws everything off. Honestly, my process mystifies me more often than it doesn’t.

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Elizabeth
                              @lewilliams
                                • Total Posts: 252

Also, @ everyone:

How do y’all go about coming up with ideas for new stories? Like, I feel like I have a fairly alright grasp on the “development” thing, but actually coming up with the ideas? That’s a different matter altogether.

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Anonymous

@lewilliams

Talking your ideas out is great! That way you can get inspiration from someone else. It’s really sweet that your husband listens to all your story ideas.

As for coming up with ideas, for me that initial spark happens while I’m thinking, reading, or doing a study on a Bible character or event (since I write Biblical fiction). Then I play the “what-if” game and come up with lots of possibilities, then narrow those down and arrange them into plot points and an outline.

However, I do get ideas for stories that are not Biblical fiction (I do write other things, that’s just my main genre). Usually those come from music I listen to, experiences I’ve had, things I’ve seen, or others’ experiences and the things they’ve seen. Honestly, the most random ideas come into my head, I’m sorta bad at explaining… Usually they come when I hear about a really fascinating, exciting, or harrowing experience. Even when certain ideas are not Biblical fiction they still very often come from the Bible, as the Bible is obviously full of interesting characters and heartwrenching stories.

By the way, I really like the quote in your signature. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >