Hi, Peoples!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hi, Peoples!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Miriam K.
    @thelittlejupitertion
      • Total Posts: 8

I’m Miriam! I’m a Catholic senior who has been home schooled my whole life. Some of my favorite things are writing, the color orange, Jupiter, Axolotls, and Owls. I’ve been writing since middle school (probably a little before that, but I don’t remember when I started exactly), and my favorite genre is fantasy! I love reading whimsical and witty books (G.K. Chesterton and D.E. Stevenson are my favorite authors right now), and I probably take a little too much honor when people compliment my humor lol

Sara
      @savannah_grace2009
        • Total Posts: 1977

@thelittlejupitertion

NOOOO NOT ANOTHER HOMESCHOOLER!!!! just kidding lol I’m like the only one on here that goes to public school…though I used to be homeschooled and homeschooling is just so much better in my opinion…so lucky duck!

Heyy! I’m Sara, though most people around here call me…well, they call me Sara. XD

Anyways, I’m a chocolate consuming, emotionally unstable, sleep deprived, algebra loving, public school attending freshman (in highschool)!

Here are some random questions:

Do you ever talk to yourself?

Have you ever subconsciously narrated parts of your day in third person? Example: She walks down the hall and to her locker.

Do you like coffee?

Are you a dog or a cat person?

Horses or chickens?

Would you rather get two teeth pulled or read out of a SUPER boring textbook about Power and Energy with subjects you will never understand?

Lukas&Livia
        #Lalbert
        Sef&Chase
        #HOTTOLINE
        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

HighScribe
        @highscribeofaetherium
          • Total Posts: 2205

@thelittlejupitertion

Hullo! My name is Bridget, and I am a great appreciator of swords, knives, and fire and I may or may not be slightly insane. I’ll leave that to you to decide.

Aside from those things, I like reading, writing, drawing, listening to music (while I do one of the previous three activities), playing piano, doing karate, drinking chocolate chai, and combining foods that were not intended to be combined (I like barbecue sauce on watermelon, ok?!?)

Now for the traditional newbie questions!

If you were going about your day, how many owls would you have to see before you started to wonder if something was wrong?

What’s the best book you’ve ever read?

My mind is drawing a blank rn, so I’ll leave it at that.

Welcome to KP, I’ll see you around, and me ase cia dieden sey!

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

-GRCR-
          @grcr
            • Total Posts: 938

@thelittlejupitertion

Greetings from Burne!

Hey there! I’m -GRCR-! I’m a fiction fantasy-ish writer, an avid artist, a journalist for my fictional newspaper, and a character lover/creator that has over three hundred (oh, and I love them so much that I wish they were real people, lol). I enjoy listening to music and imagining my characters singing the songs.

Welcome to KP! 😁

Here are some questions for you!!

If you have any characters, how many do you have?

Which perspective do you enjoy most: first person (I walked), second person (You walked), or third person (He/she walked)?

If you were going to write an entirely original and new book, what would you create first: the world or the characters?

And, what song will forever remind you of last year?

Well… that’s it from me. Hope you enjoy KP, and I’ll see you around! 🙃

“What be a cretin?”
            “Of course you wouldn’t know. It’s a… bread you put in salad.”

Esther
            @esther-c
              • Total Posts: 3201

@thelittlejupitertion

Welcome to Kingdom Pen!! I’m Esther: a volleyball-playing, violin-squeaking, dog-obsessed, homeschooled, fiction-writing, God-loving, teen girl!! I’ve written fantasy and my current WIP is light dystopian, but I have ideas in a myriad of different genres that I’m excited to write in the future.

Oki! Time to learn more about you… Questions!!

1. What is your dream vacation?

2. Who’s your favorite character you’ve ever written? Why? What are they like?

3. If you were lost on a desert island, which five items would you want to have?

4. If you could spend a day in a TV show, book, or movie, which would it be and why?

Nice to meet you and hope to see ya around!! 👋

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
              @esther-c

Now some tags for people to say hi…

@freedomwriter76 @rae @thearcaneaxiom @loopylin @mineralizedwritings @my-brain-is-broken @anyone-else-idk-XDD

TheArcaneAxiom
                @thearcaneaxiom
                  • Total Posts: 1250

@thelittlejupitertion

Welcome to KP!

I’m the Arcane Axiom, I love math, searching for divine fundamental truth, and exploring that in my writing. I read/write sci-fi/fantasy, and am currently working on a universe with my sister called the Septrum.

Also, love Catholics btw, they respect authority. I’m LDS, so we have different ideas about who has authority, but we agree that it exists.

Questions:

Do you lean towards hard or soft worldbuilding? (Hard meaning concrete rules for the reader to follow, vs soft meaning anything goes.)

What is your favorite concept you’ve seen in fantasy?

What is your favorite concept that you’ve come up with yourself?

Do you have any project your working on right now? What is it about?

And last but not least:

A computer can measure all the atoms in the universe, and thus can predict the future. It’s about to tell you that you will trip on a banana, but then it measures itself, saying that if you knew that, you would not trip on a banana. Can the computer tell you this future without changing it?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Miriam K.
                  @thelittlejupitertion

Ah! So many replies!

@savannah_Grace_2009 I’ve never been to a public school, but from the stories I’ve heard, I have to agree with you, homeschooling is superior in many ways XD

What a coincidence! Algebra was my favorite kind of math as well! Yes, I talk to myself a lot, it’s super fun and helps me get stuff done. I don’t describe my life in 3rd person, coffee makes my stomach hurt, been a cat person ever since we got one lol, and as much as I love horses, our chickens are the most hilarious and adorable things that we own, so chickens. And… I’d probably read the textbook XD

@highscribefaetherium that would depend highly on how close together the owls were. If there were like ten of them but spread out throughout the day, I probably wouldn’t think anything of it (except for “hey cool, an owl!”). If there were three or five kinda close together, I’d be like, “hm… aren’t owls nocturnal??”

The best book I’ve ever read is Miss Buncle’s Book by D.E. Stevenson. It’s just amazing storytelling and a grand use of dramatic irony. I highly recommend it if you enjoy older books with a comedic twist (I wouldn’t consider the writing style old, but the setting is).

@grcr
                    Hey, I imagine characters singing songs, too! I’ve never bothered to count my ocs, so I have no idea lolol

I mostly write in third person, but really it depends on the kind of book I’m writing. There are some books that are just better in first person (and then of course there’s my giant choose-your-own-adventure story told entirely in second person XD)

Usually the characters come to me first. You’d be surprised (or maybe not, idk how common this is among writers) how many stories I’ve come up with based on a glimpse of a scene, a bit of dialogue, or a random song that screams “main character,” at me. In my experience, characters really bring the story together, so it’s really frustrating when I can’t figure out why a certain isn’t working (which also happens quite a lot).

Oi, this is a tough one. Probably Boys Will Be Bugs by Cavetown. It was the first of a long playlist for a story I started working on and wrote a lot of this past year.

Cloaked Mystery
                    @jonas
                      • Total Posts: 2624

@thelittlejupitertion

Welcome to KP! I’m Jonas, more enigmatically known as Cloaked Mystery. I write mostly in the fantasy genre, but usually with hard rules that verge on sci-fi. I like creating magic systems, usually hard ones, but I have a few soft-ish ones. My current project, which I am working on with my sister, @highscribeofaetherium, is a large fantasy universe that contains many different planets.

Some of my favorite authors are Tolkien and Brandon Sanderson. Sanderson’s Cosmere in particular is a huge inspiration behind my projects, particularly the magic systems.

Outside of writing, I play and compose music (I play piano.) I’m nearly a black belt in karate. I play video games, and am also an amateur video game designer. I also enjoy participating in the many character RPs on here.

Since you have so many questions already, I won’t ask any. 😉

See you around!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                      ✨ Magic System Creator
                      🎭 Character RPer
                      📚 Appreciator of Books

-GRCR-
                      @grcr
                        • Total Posts: 938

@thelittlejupitertion

Hey, I imagine characters singing songs, too! I’ve never bothered to count my ocs, so I have no idea lolol

Lol cool!! I was starting to believe that I was the only one who does that!

Oh, I see, lol. 😀

I mostly write in third person, but really it depends on the kind of book I’m writing. There are some books that are just better in first person (and then of course there’s my giant choose-your-own-adventure story told entirely in second person XD)

Yeah, same. Right!! XD XD

Usually the characters come to me first. You’d be surprised (or maybe not, idk how common this is among writers) how many stories I’ve come up with based on a glimpse of a scene, a bit of dialogue, or a random song that screams “main character,” at me. In my experience, characters really bring the story together, so it’s really frustrating when I can’t figure out why a certain isn’t working (which also happens quite a lot).

Ahh, yes, charries first. Yeah, I do that too. XD XD

Oi, this is a tough one. Probably Boys Will Be Bugs by Cavetown. It was the first of a long playlist for a story I started working on and wrote a lot of this past year.

Ohh… Cool!! *gasps* I need to make a playlist for my story…

“What be a cretin?”
                        “Of course you wouldn’t know. It’s a… bread you put in salad.”

Miriam K.
                        @thelittlejupitertion

@esther-c Hey, there! I feel you with that myriad of ideas lol

My dream vacation would probably be to visit Africa, it’s just so beautiful! Of course, the first character to pop into my mind is Jack. He’s a man made out of yarn (long story lol), and he’s super clumsy and hilarious, but it’s partly a ruse to hide his guilt and loneliness. He also knows a lot more about the world than he lets onto and acts as a kind of guide for the main character. I haven’t actually touched his story in years, but when I get around to rewriting it, there are a few changes I want to make to how I wrote him (mainly making his character more consistent lol I was really just figuring it all out back then).

For a desert island? Definitely a pocket knife, some matches, a pot, maybe some rope, and a survival guide (I’d probably die within the first day without it lol). I’d like to spend a day in Miss Buncle’s Book, it would just be fun (also England and fancy houses and such lolol)

@thearcaneaxiom
                          I think I lean more toward hard world building. While I have written some projects for fun where literally anything can happen, I love thought-out structure and processes in books (especially when it takes something from reality and kinda twists it).

Honestly, there are so many fantasy concepts, it’s hard to choose between them all. I’ve always liked Tolkien’s dwarves’ craftsmanship. The way they tunnel through entire mountains and build doors with hidden hinges and all the other stuff they did that escapes my mind lol. Really, the thought Tolkien put into all his races and the way they interact is super cool.

For my own fantasy concepts, in a story I wrote a few years ago, one of the characters lives in a tree. He hallowed out the inside completely and built tubes to allow the nutrients to travel between the roots and the leaves. It’s only dwelt upon briefly, but I’ve always loved the idea.

I’m working on so many projects right now lolol Currently my main one is The Other Side of the Rainbow; a satyr boy is sent to a boarding school where he learns life lessons with his friends while also having to deal with all the crazy shenanigans that happens at the school. The other one I’m excited for is actually an anthology called A Ladder to the Moon; it’s a bunch of different short stories centered around different peoples’ views of a man who’s building a ladder to the moon.

The computer could definitely tell me I was going to slip on a banana, and I would still slip on the banana. I would forget it ever told me in the next five minutes. I would slip on the banana and have a humiliating revelation of how dumb I am while lying on the floor in pain.

… I could go into a more theological answer of this, but my sick brain is not up to it right now lolol

@jonas
                          lol that’s funny, my sci-fi usually verges on fantasy. Tolkien is amazing! I haven’t read any of Sanderson’s books, but I’ve been meaning to look into them. Any recommendations on where to start?

hybridlore
                          @hybridlore
                            • Total Posts: 1354

@thelittlejupitertion

Hi, Miriam! It’s nice to meet you! I’m Hybridlore or Hybrid on here, and I write YA science fiction mostly. I’m a high school sophomore, and I’ve also been homeschooled my whole life! Some things I like are singing, playing my violin, and reading.

What genre do you write and why?

Top three favorite books– I know you listed your first already, but I’ve never heard of it so I wondered what else you liked.

Favorite movie?

Also, just saw you want to start reading Brandon Sanderson. Try Skyward, it’s amazing. I haven’t read the whole series but the first book is still good on its own.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by hybridlore.

There is always light behind the clouds.
                            - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Cloaked Mystery
                            @jonas
                              • Total Posts: 2624

@thelittlejupitertion

Mistborn would probably be the best place to start with Sanderson (at least of the Cosmere books, which are the only ones I’ve read. The Cosmere is the shared universe in which many of his books take place.) You could also do Elantris, which is his first book, but that one isn’t as good in my opinion. Really you can start anywhere, but those two are probably easiest.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                              ✨ Magic System Creator
                              🎭 Character RPer
                              📚 Appreciator of Books

Esther
                              @esther-c

@thelittlejupitertion

My dream vacation would probably be to visit Africa, it’s just so beautiful!

That would be so cool!!

Of course, the first character to pop into my mind is Jack. He’s a man made out of yarn (long story lol), and he’s super clumsy and hilarious, but it’s partly a ruse to hide his guilt and loneliness. He also knows a lot more about the world than he lets onto and acts as a kind of guide for the main character. I haven’t actually touched his story in years, but when I get around to rewriting it, there are a few changes I want to make to how I wrote him (mainly making his character more consistent lol I was really just figuring it all out back then).

He sounds like so much fun!!

For a desert island? Definitely a pocket knife, some matches, a pot, maybe some rope, and a survival guide (I’d probably die within the first day without it lol).

Oh yes, all very necessary items. XD

I’d like to spend a day in Miss Buncle’s Book, it would just be fun (also England and fancy houses and such lolol)

Interesting! I’ve never heard of it before. What’s it about?

Miriam K.
                                @thelittlejupitertion

@hybridlore hi! I write mostly fantasy, though I’ve dabbled in a lot of other genres. I just love having free-range over the world to shape it how I want it to be.

Well, if you didn’t know, Miss Buncle’s Book by D.E.Stevson is actually the first in a trilogy- jk I won’t choose the easy route XD my other favorite books are Manalive by G.K. Chesterton (it explores a lot of interesting views on life and has that whimsical vibe I love), and Dracula (I still need to finish it lol but they aren’t kidding when they call it a classic)

I don’t have a favorite movie, but Ghibli studios and Cartoon Saloon movies are always great

[quote=173804] Try Skyward, it’s amazing. I haven’t read the whole series but the first book is still good on its own. [/quote]

[quote=173808] Mistborn would probably be the best place to start [/quote]

I’ll definitely check these out, thanks for the suggestions!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Miriam K..
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >