Hi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Scoutillus Finch
    @scoutfinch180
      • Total Posts: 413

Hi, I am ScoutFinch180.

I tried starting a topic last night, but I think that I did something wrong, so I am re-trying.

I don’t know exactly where to start so I think I’ll just share a bit about myself.

I am a homeschooled senior in high school and I enjoy writing speculative fiction and poetry. I am currently working on a sci-fi short story for my English class about an assassin who is sent to kill a monster with a human brain. I am writing my rough draft and I am close to the climax, maybe in it? I like the monster character (Fabian) a lot, but since he is a reptile he can’t really say m’s, p’s, b’s, and w’s, it’s hard for even me to understand him sometimes.

What kind of things are you all working on? Do you all have any opinions on characters with speech impairments?

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Scoutillus Finch
      @scoutfinch180

I just tagged my conversation with: “What are topic tags?” does anyone know what I have done?

Grace H.
        @gh24682468999
          • Total Posts: 199

@scoutfinch180 Hello there! I’m a high school graduate who’s in a gap year now, and as a result I have time to do National Novel Writing Month. My WIP is a Beauty and the Beast retelling and I’m very happy with it 🙂

Also, I hope to be a speech therapist, so I expect to work a lot with speech impairments in the future, but I haven’t really been exposed to a whole lot of that yet. Why did you give your character a speech impairment?

I’m not sure why the tag thing exists unfortunately :/ Don’t worry about it, it doesn’t affect anything I think.

Welcome to the Kingdom!

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
          literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

<p style=”text-align: right;”>@scoutfinch180</p>
            <p style=”text-align: right;”>Hey there! Love your username! I have unfortunately just discovered this left-align thing so you shall be the poor soul which I shall use this on. Anyway, I’m in the same grade as you, also homeschooled, and I also enjoy speculative fiction and poetry. I think that your story sounds really interesting and if you ever decide to post it I will be glad to read. I’m working on a lot of different things right now but I think I might take a break from writing for a week or something so that I can work on my music and let my writing muscles rest a while. As someone who has had an unexplained stutter for a single summer I can relate to a lot of characters with speech impediments, and I think there’s nothing wrong with having any, though sometimes I’ll have to work hard to read what is written.</p>
            <p style=”text-align: right;”>What are some of your favorite books? Also, is that your dog?</p>

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

Scoutillus Finch
            @scoutfinch180

Thanks! I’m excited to be a part of this!

I will try to respond to both of your responses at once.

Yeah, I’m taking a break from my short story so I can attack my newly finished rough draft with fresh eyes.

I gave Fabian a speech impediment since he has a reptile body, his mouth is shaped like a lizard/dragon’s, so he can still talk, but words that involve a lot of lip movement are tricky for him to say, like the b in his name.

Thanks! my username is from To Kill A Mockingbird… and my profile photo is of my dog of the same name, who is a pure mutt.

I have a lot of favorites, Ben Hur is up there, (despite all the bible characters being white), The Wingfeather Saga, Our Mutual Friend, The Space Trilogy, Till We Have Faces, and Gawain and The Green Knight, just to name a few. I mostly read classics because I am more distrustful of the modern books and since they are typically designed to include insomnia-worthy tension, I don’t read them often. But I want to read The Weaver Trilogy by Lindsay A. Franklin someday.

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting

(Oh looks like left align failed :P)

@scoutfinch180
                 To Kill a Mockingbird is a great book. I really loved it when we read it.

Yeah, I mainly read classics and manga. Not really in the mood for anything else.

Do you have any other story ideas/projects that you’ve worked on or want to work on?

Scoutillus Finch
                @scoutfinch180

I have a lot of stories/poems on the back burner. I have a fantasy that follows the second son of a king and his adventures, and a sci-fi where there about some sort of a warrior-type man with telekinesis and the clone of his dead son, and another fantasy about a vampire who wants to become human again and a man who suffers for his people (but at lest for now he is imperfect) and can wield fire.

I really like To Kill A Mockingbird too.

I think the only manga I’ve ever read is a comic that is a continuation of Avatar: The Last Airbender where the characters the story mainly follows go to search for my favorite character’s mom. I enjoyed that, but I am saving the rest for days when i feel unwell so i can have soemthing to beguile the time.

Out of curiosity, do you write comics?

Scoutillus Finch
                  @scoutfinch180

What kind of music do you do? I am learning to play guitar, my callouses are well-developed so playing is easier, but since my guitar is a steel-string, I often wind up making a lot of buzzing sounds, and it’s quite funny when I accidentally play the wrong note.

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting

@scoutfinch180 Ooh, those stories all sound really unique! Something like I’d want to read.

I’ve heard good things about Avatar but haven’t brought myself around to touching it. A little on the mainstream side.

Write comics? I haven’t really thought about doing it, but I think it would be cool if I could write a story for a Webtoon sometime; I spend too much time on writing so I don’t really have time to practice art, unfortunately. But I guess that’s we’re collaborations come in.

I mainly play piano. A couple of months ago I got a kalimba as well, since it’s like a portable keyboard.

How did you find the Kingdom?

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm
                        • Total Posts: 635

@scoutfinch180

Hi! And welcome to the KP forum! I’m Kathleen and about a year younger than you and am a part of the KP team.

Congrats on making it to the final stretch of your novel! So many of my WIPs die out before they ever get close to the climax. Your premise is really interesting and definitely a book I’d want to read. Sci-fi has always been a genre that I’ve really wanted to try writing in, but I haven’t yet read a good book in the genre so it’s a little hard to know how to approach writing one. So if you happen to have any sci-fi book recommendations, that would be great.

I’m working on a serial novel with my siblings about a group of teens who infiltrate a superhero school to pretend to be superheroes – even though they have no powers – for their own scheming devices. And on my own, I’ve been writing a bunch of short stories.

I really like Till We Have Faces too.I feel like it’s a really underrated C.S. Lewis book.  I have The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis, But I have yet to read it. Just curious, what were some of your favorite things about The Space Trilogy?

I’ve seen so many people on this forum say The Wingfeather Saga is one of their favorites as well. I’ve recently ordered it from the library, so I’m looking forward to reading it. Do you have a favorite book from the saga?

@devastate-lasting

I’m actually in the middle of watching Avatar the Last Airbender for the first time with my siblings. I’ve kinda ignored it my whole life until a month ago when my brother said it was pretty good and we should watch it together. Although it’s made for kids, there are actually some really well-developed characters, great world-building, and it’s surprisingly funny. So I would totally recommend it. It makes me feel good each time I watch it. And appearently it gets better with each season.

Also, what songs do you play on the Kalimba?

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting

@kathleenramm Is that so? Then I’ll it to my to-watch list. And maybe get to it after… *squints at list* Yeah, when I have some free time.

I was too lazy to learn how to reread sheet music for the kalimba so I mainly just play by ear. It’s good practice for transposing different songs into the key of C and helps me remember the main melody of other songs so I can make sheets for them later. The main one I’ve been playing right now has been “I was human” but I can also do “My Heart Will Go On” pretty well too.

Scoutillus Finch
                          @scoutfinch180

I am pretty sure I found Kingdompen from forwarded e-mails about the first Young Writers Workshop from a friend. I looked up the site, read a few short stories, and have been reading stuff on the site ever since, it’s helped so much but made me feel like a stalker since i also read the comments and actually began to know stuff about the posters when they knew nothing of me. For a while i was dragging my feet about joining the Forum because I didn’t want it to take up too much of my time, but i decided to do it when I actually met one of the members of the forum (she was actually our waitress and it was super crazy and providential!) and that encouraged me to join as I jittered my way along the rest of the day from two glasses of the restaurant’s extremely addictive iced tea and a third of a very chocolatey brownie.

I first saw Avatar when I was in third/fourth grade. when it came back on Netflix my family and I watched it over the summer, and I was so surprised at how high-quality the characters and story actually are (minus a few silly filler episodes)!  Zuko is still my favorite character and I have inadvertently have put dashes of him in many of my male characters, including my favorite of my guy characters. It’s kind of funny. It does definitely get better with each season, the last few episodes especially.

I love the themes Lewis weaves into the story, his creativity in the worlds, and his character Ransom. he is like a middle-aged Janner (the MC of the Wingfeather Saga). I also appreciate Lewis’s use of realistic characters. I don’t know if I have a favorite of the books, but I must say I really like a character introduced as Peet the Sockman. He has a mental disability and is awesome.

Your story idea sounds so cool! And this short story is actually the first thing I’ve ever gotten to The End on. I’m excited to jump back in on it this coming Monday.

As far as Sci-fi recommendations go, I actually have mostly seen sci-fi movies. Marvel, TRON legacy, Star WarsStargate, and Enders Game (the movie, there is a book but I got irritated with how the characters talked and didn’t finish it). I have read The Martian Chronicles (DEPRESSING)and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. The former is more like a fantasy with spaceships and aliens, and the latter is a dystopian that is more realistic. I have read parts of a book by Orson Scott Card, Philip Athans, Jay Lake, and the editors of Writer’s Digest called Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction and found it informative. I have heard my Dad talk about the Dune series but have never read it.

Scoutillus Finch
                            @scoutfinch180

I just noticed you asked about any other ideas I want to work on, Linyang Zhang. I do have an idea about a woman who got engaged to a guy from a corny fantasy world as part of a prophecy, but her fiancée forced her to go back to earth and broke her heart and now he’s trying to get her to go back to his world again. It’s a recent idea and it’s also on my back-burner. I have a poem about bitterness personified that I want to polish up more, and a few other poems. I also have an adventure for Odysseus that wrote in last year’s English class when we were reading the Odyssey that I want to re-vamp… I have worked on it on and off, but that is also on my back-burner.

Scoutillus Finch
                              @scoutfinch180

By the way, what’s a Webtoon?

Linyang Zhang
                                @devastate-lasting

@scoutfinch180 Tron Legacy was one of my favorite movies for the longest time. Still is. Fahrenheit 451 is also one of my favorite books. I’ve been tempted to check out Dune since I heard that Hans Zimmer was making the soundtrack for the new movie…don’t know if I will, though.

Webtoon is essentially serialized manga/manhua that I read a lot of. Too much of.

(Did the waitress mention her username? It’s so cool that you met her in real life. The closest I ever came was meeting three of Josiah DeGraaf’s younger siblings.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >