Hi!

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Lydia S.
    @lydia-s
      • Total Posts: 399

@elanor

Ah, I see. I hope I can get around to reading it soon!

Gotcha. I’ll look into her! Thanks for the suggestion. 😀

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is super different from the book. I really enjoy it, but it’s not the book. At least it’s a bit more “Lewis” than the other. *sigh* Why do they always have to change perfectly good books??

Elanor
      @elanor
        • Total Posts: 184

@lydia-s

Why indeed?!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Abigail.M.
        @abigail-m
          • Total Posts: 1242

@elanor

Hi Elanor! I’m really sorry about this late reply, and thank you for your patience with me here:)
          *Gasps* You actually broke a horse? Wow, that is so amazing and I am 100% impressed by that. Do you have any tips or thoughts on breaking horses? I would like to do it one day, but I have broken in ones to watch for now XD But anyway, yes, she is such a beautiful horse and her coat pattern is stunning! 😀

I am definitely with you on loving to get ideas from head to paper and about having the writing show and teach good biblical principles. And to be honest I think fantasy is one of the best genres to portray them! 😀 C.S. Lewis obviously is a beautiful example of that and there’s so much incredible potential 😀
          I love those setting too and yes, it does depend on where the siblings are XD

Ooh, soundtracks? Those are amazing. LoTR is a really good one I’ll wholeheartedly agree with you on that. FK&C? Chris Tomlin? Casting Crowns? They. Are. The. Best!! Have you ever listened to Mathew West, Toby Mac, or Lauren Daigle? They’re all really good ones too. Contemporary Christain is definitely one of my absolute favorite music genres:)

Wow, I think that you have a great story there Elanor! I love stories with royalty in them and your’s sounds extremely awesome:)

The main tip that I like to give to all writers (including myself) is to just write. Yes, that seems like terrible advice, but it’s truly invaluable to just get all the words out at all costs then look back and move the words about until you have something you truly love. Secondly is to set aside a specific time of day to write so you can avoid distractions or putting it off (something I am thoroughly guilty of). Deadlines are a great tool. Setting yourself an unchangeable deadline to write the first draft or a certain word goal perhaps, so you can work at it and have the finish line in sight.
          Also writing flash fiction or poetry to get creative juices flowing is always fun. And music. Music and a deadline have always given me good results.
          Hmm, the only other thing I can think of at the moment is to not get discouraged because we’ll always learn far more through failure/learning than we can through success:)

It’s nice to meet you as well!:D

Elanor
          @elanor

@abigail-m

Hi, Abigail, no problem, that’s totally fine. I’m pretty busy myself, my family is moving across Canada at the end of this week.

My Mom was a big part of breaking her in (She loves horses and she used to do Hunter Jumper and all sorts of things with horses. She took care of some pure-bred Egyptian Arabians for one job she did.). We took it nice and slow. First, we got her to the point that she was completely fine with me cleaning her hooves and good with being led in a walk, trot, and run (my full run not hers 😆). Then, we put the saddle and saddle blanket on the hitching post to get her used to the look and smell and sound of those and we put the bridle on her minus the bit to get her used to the feeling of it and the reins moving them around. Then, we put the saddle blanket on her and added the bit to the bridle, and put the saddle blanket on her back. After that, we put the saddle on without doing it up, then we did up the girth loosely, then fully tight, and then we put a sack of feed on the saddle to let her get used to some weight on her. Leading her around after each of these steps to get her comfortable with the saddle. Then, after what seemed way too long of a time, it was finally time for me to get on her back. (That was a glorious feeling).

I shifted my weight back and forth a bit and moved the reigns around a little to get her accustomed to that. After several times of that, it was time for her to be led around with me on her, then she was lead around again with me making the moves with my feet the with the bridle to steer her, etc., then after lots of times of that it was just me on her. she at first walked in a very cautious way looking confused then she realized no one had her head and she wanted to run I didn’t let her. Initially, she bucked me off a couple of times because we had an English saddle witch has no saddle horn to hold onto. But I would get right up and mom had me have me lead her in tight circles until she was almost dizzy one way and then the other. Then get back up on her. She realized fairly quickly that bucking was not worth it for her and about a month after me initially getting on her she was good as gold and it was so great going flying through the paddock on her.

Sorry, that was a really long description. 😆 But that’s what we did to break her in. I just did all of what Mom instructed me to do with her. Gypsy was born and raised on our property so she had full trust in us (as well as a bit of sass sometimes) and everything went really smoothly with her training and the above process took 5-6 months. I don’t know how long it would usually take to break a horse in.

Oh yes! I have heard a couple of songs by each of those artists. I’ve like Grace Wins, Amen, and Mercy is a Song, Mathew West; Me Without You and Favourite Song, Toby Mac; and Trust in You and You Say, Lauren Daigle are songs I’ve heard by them. I recently discovered Danny Gokey (Tell Your Heart to Beat Again, Haven’t Seen It Yet) and Dan Bremnes ( Wherever I Go, Beautiful, I am Sure, Born Again, He Knows) and have been really enjoying their music. I agree that CCM is a great genre.

Thanks for the tips, I hope my story goes somewhere. My sister is urging me to write because “What’s the point of just storing it in your head forever?”.

Thanks for the tips. I will try those out. And yes, music is vital for writing. But then I love music and singing just generally.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Abigail.M.
            @abigail-m

@elanor

Thank you for understanding about that:) Wow, moving across Canada?? That sounds tough, but also awesome:D
              Don’t worry about it at all! In fact, I love long descriptions and I love hearing anything about horses. All you wrote was incredible and thank you so much for telling me about breaking Gypsy for riding, I just think it’s so amazing that you and your mom did that!

YES! Those are all amazing songs! Have you ever listened to the K-Love radio station? They exclusively play CCM 24/7 and that was how I found out about all these artists actually:)
              Of course! And I totally agree, music is so incredibly important 😀

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Abigail.M..
              Elanor
              @elanor

@abigail-m

Thanks. My mom says I’m a natural horse whisperer.

No, I haven’t heard of that radio station. The only time I hear the radio is occasionally in the vehicle when Mom puts the Christian Radio station on, which is called Shine FM, I’m not sure where all that station is at. I live in Alberta, Canada. Do you live in Canada or the States?
                All the music I listen to is my family personal music collection that we’ve bought and then the rest I listen to on YouTube Music and heard about via my friends.

Abigail.M.
                @abigail-m

@elanor

That is amazing!:)

I think I’ve heard of Shine FM as well:)
                  Yes! I live in the states and am pretty sure that K Love reaches many places around the world. Hmm, but they do have it live on their website: klove.com
                  It’s phenomenal and I’d 100% recommend it:)

Elanor
                  @elanor

@abigail-m

Okay cool.
                    I’m from America. I lived in Washington state (not DC) for the first few years of my life and  I’ve been in Canada now for just over 10 years.

Thanks. I’ll check it out. 😁

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >