Help ??

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Help ??

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

@hybridlore

I find doing a character brain dump helps a lot with fleshing out who this character is within my mind while also helping me get ideas going. So like taking a few pieces of paper, and without restriction or too much thought, freely writing down anything and everything that comes into my head about this character.

Appearance, personality traits, friends, family, background, anything and everything that I already know I want to be a part of this character, but also the things that have the potential of being a part of the character.

Once I start writing down all the possibilities and ideas for this character in a flow-of-consciousness type of way, naturally more ideas come up and connections between certain character traits and storylines start forming.

Once I’ve written and brainstormed to the max and feel satisfied, I then create a Google Doc with bullet points for each of the core character questions. This includes the list of questions I wrote above, along with additional things like background, family, appearance, and such.

I go through each question one by one, with each answer ranging from a sentence to a paragraph. However much I need to adequately answer the question. And because of the character brain dump I did earlier, answering the questions is a lot easier since I already have a sense of the character.

If I get to a question I am unsure about, I either take the time to just daydream about different scenarios that could help me find the answer, or leave the question for now and move on to the next. A lot of times, the answer to one of the following questions helps me solve one of the former.

Anyways, I hope this answers your question! And like what people said in other posts, Pinterest, music, and freely daydreaming about different ideas can really help.

hybridlore
      @hybridlore
        • Total Posts: 1354

@kathleenramm

Awesome!! Thanks!! 😁 I’ll definitely have to try all this with my writing

There is always light behind the clouds.
        - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Kathleen
        @kathleenramm
          • Total Posts: 635

@hybridlore

Great! Best of luck with the project!

Euodia
          @euodia-vision
            • Total Posts: 1306

@hybridlore

Eyooo, late as always BUT I am here now. 😆

Anywhoooo, girl I struggle with this toooo! I think one of the things that have been the most helpful for staying committed is what many people have already said!

I’ve invested A LOT of time in my characters. Developing their personalities, making Pinterest boards for them, making playlists for them, etc., etc. This has helped me SO much in staying motivated on my current project because I truly love these characters. I’ve invested so much in them that if I abandon them now it feels like losing a friend. 😅 Even though I don’t have a fully developed plot I still feel inspired because I have a character(s) that seems real to me.

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

hybridlore
            @hybridlore

@euodia-vision

Thanks girl!!! 😉 Yeah, I’ve been trying to work a little on this and fill out some character profiles, so I’ve been a little more inspired lately!! And yeah, still don’t know where the plot is going, but I still like the character so we’ll see!

Euodia
              @euodia-vision

@hybridlore

Nice! I’m starting to dig into my plot, I found a few outlines plus I have everything I did for the Young Writer’s Challenge last week! Let me know if you want to maybe plot out your story as well with me. I know it’s fun knowing someone else is working on their story in the same way you are. 😉

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

hybridlore
                @hybridlore

@euodia-vision

Oh awesome!!! 😁 Yeah that would be fun, right now I’m trying to even figure out what I want to do 😅 What’s your WIP about?? Sorry if you’ve already told me 😂

Euodia
                  @euodia-vision

@hybridlore

Okay, soooo (I am not the best at describing it, so we shall see how this goes XD)

It’s about Riya, an 18-year-old girl who lives in the kingdom of Attalia and her journey to save her brother and ultimately defeat the darkness that has taken over her land.

I actually wrote a (horrible) blurb during the Young Writer’s Challenge so I can share that! I’m planning on sharing a little more about this all soon, so I’ll tag you when I do.  😉

Darkness. Fear. This is life.

After the Battle of Theaka ends in the mysterious disappearance of King Thoryn and his army, the land of Attalia struggles to rebuild their lives in the shadow of defeat. The kingdom soon learns that the battle’s overwhelming loss also resulted in the return of Belial of Heolstor along with his devouring darkness that begins to creep its way across the sea and into the lives of the disoriented Attalian citizens.

That was seventeen years ago. This darkness, this fear, this life… this is all eighteen-year-old Riya has ever known. When her older brother, Brinn, is quietly stolen away in the night by the Belial’s dark mist this young girl who has lived in the shadow of who she desires to be takes a courageous step and goes out to find her brother and face the creeping darkness.

Setting out with her best friend, Tirion, start their journey across their beloved kingdom that is falling into shadow. Can she face the darkness ahead of her while also fighting the inner battle between light and dark within her?

*hides under a rock* gosh it’s so messy 😂

hybridlore
                    @hybridlore

@euodia-vision

Oh that’s ok!!! 😅 *struggles to pick up rock* Seriously don’t worry about it, you should see my brainstorming sometimes 😆

It sounds really cool!! Have you started it yet? *wait I think you said you were plotting* I’d be interested to see what the story’s like if you want to share more 🙂

Euodia
                      @euodia-vision

@hybridlore

It sounds really cool!! Have you started it yet? *wait I think you said you were plotting* I’d be interested to see what the story’s like if you want to share more 🙂

Yup, I’m currently in the plotting, world-building, etc. stage, my tedious. 😂 I have a few random scenes I’ve written cuz I had ideas and I knew I’d lose them if I didn’t write them right then. Buut, I’m wanting to get all the prep stuff done before I leave for camp at the end of June so I can start writing after that. 😁

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >