Help ??

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Help ??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    hybridlore
    @hybridlore
      • Total Posts: 1354

So . . . I might have mentioned this before but something I struggle most with as a writer is coming up with the ideas I want to write – and then not getting distracted from them 😂

Like I’ll have a couple chapters of a story I want to write written, and then . . . I get a new idea. Or I get bored of it. Or it’s not good enough anymore. Or (this happened to me recently) I realized a better way to write that story, but . . . it was so different from the way I’d been writing it that I had to start over, and then I ended up not working on it anymore

I’m pretty sure all of you are going to say I need plotting 😂 But does anyone have any tips? Or has anyone else been like this before and then managed to fix it??

Also I would love to hear about how you all get your inspiration if anyone has time!🙂

I really appreciate any feedback!!

Tags: @esther-c, @sarafini, @kyronthearcanin, @euodia-vision, @mineralizedwritings, @smiley, @keilah-h, @whalekeeper, @acancello, @awsumfaith, @livingwoodchronicles, @godlyfantasy12, @princesachronicle22, @anyone-else-I-forgot

There is always light behind the clouds.
      - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
      @kyronthearcanin
        • Total Posts: 697

@hybridlore

Sorry, just started YWW and have been super sidetracked lol…

It happens to me… all the time. Honestly, the only thing that has actually helped is just sitting down and forcing myself to stick with something- think a writing sprint, but for a specific idea, or character, etc. Idk if this helps but thought I’d share XD

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

Smiley
        @smiley
          • Total Posts: 2179

@hybridlore

The first tip I would give is to make Pinterest boards and save quotes and photos that inspire you.

Also, make sure you’re writing characters that are interesting to write, I think a common mistake is focusing so much on the story and the world-building and not enough time on the actual characters.

Also take inspiration from books, shows, and movies.

Oxygen shortage

do your part, hold your breath

hybridlore
          @hybridlore

@kyronthearcanin

No problem!! 🙂 How is it?

Gotcha 🤣 I’ll definitely try XD

@smiley

Ok!! I’ll have to do that sometime 😉

And thanks!! 😁

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
            @kyronthearcanin
              • Total Posts: 697

@hybridlore

It’s been great! I’m looking forward to growing more as a writer 😁

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

hybridlore
              @hybridlore

@kyronthearcanin

Awesome!!! 😉

Kathleen
                @kathleenramm
                  • Total Posts: 635

@hybridlore

The thing that gives me the most and best plot ideas is really getting to know the story’s main characters. Like really getting to know them. Knowing them to the point to which they feel like real breathing people.

Get to know their dreams, fears, greatest loves, biggest regrets, the most consequential moments of their life, their insincerities, the lies they believe about themselves and the world, their weaknesses, their strengths, root desires, conflicting desires, their idols, secrets, how they perceive themselves, how others perceive them, how they wish to be perceived, the mask they use to hide who they are, who they are when the mask comes off-who they are at their core… etc. etc.

The more I learn about my characters the more I end up learning about the world they live in and automatically ideas of what cool things could happen in that world arise. And since I already know the characters down to every last bone, its a no-brainer to what actions they would take if those plot ideas did occur. And suddenly I got everything I need for the plot. Character and conflict.

I learn about the characters – they teach me about the world – knowing the world gives me cool plot ideas – I understand the characters so I know what they’ll do when those events happen – I add a good dose of set-up, pay-off, and structure – voila! The plot! (Well, my little way of writing plot that is. You can personalize this process to what fits you and your style best)

Instead of trying to figure out whatshould do with the story, I turn my attention to what the character’s would do from what I know about them. They are the protagonists after all. I’m just here for the ride.

Usually when I feel stuck, and unsure of what to do, it’s usually because I don’t completely understand the characters. The more I understand them, the more plot ideas flood in, and the story naturally flows.

hybridlore
                  @hybridlore

@kathleenramm

Awesome!! Thanks 🙂

Get to know their dreams, fears, greatest loves, biggest regrets, the most consequential moments of their life, their insincerities, the lies they believe about themselves and the world, their weaknesses, their strengths, root desires, conflicting desires, their idols, secrets, how they perceive themselves, how others perceive them, how they wish to be perceived, the mask they use to hide who they are, who they are when the mask comes off-who they are at their core… etc. etc.

Any ideas on how I could do this better?

Smiley
                    @smiley
                      • Total Posts: 2179

@hybridlore

Something I do for all my writing that helps immensely is acting out my scenes either in my head or quietly in my room

I can rehears the scenes which help make sure that it actually sounds like humans talking XD if that makes any sense

Oxygen shortage

do your part, hold your breath

hybridlore
                      @hybridlore

@smiley

Oh yeah!!! I have done this before in my head (not really out loud but that sounds awesome 😆)

Yep it does!!! 🙂

Whaley
                        @whalekeeper
                          • Total Posts: 2584

@hybridlore

I’m kinda having the same problem with Project Chrysanthemum. I find that it isn’t lack of this inspiration that’s causing the problem, but instead, an overwhelming amount of inspiration. Then, when I try to write the first draft, it feels like I’m writing it wrong. In the wrong style or something.

What I say when I think this is: Suck it up, buttercup.

XD It’s the first draft!! It will not sound right. I’ve found myself studying down to the individual sentences, trying to fix it. But that’s editing. It isn’t supposed to look pretty yet. It’s a chrysalis, not a butterfly.

I’ve heard people describe their first drafts as piles of flaming trash… Buuuuut I prefer the chrysalis metaphor personally XD

So far, my draft has only just started, but I have a plan. Every once in a while, while writing the ugly first draft, I take one tiny section, and dazzle it up. Make it look pretty. That motivates me to keep writing.

But I’m still learning how to finish a draft, and I’ve only finished detailed outlines and short stories before. Sooooo if you find a better way to do it, please tell me the secret XD

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

hybridlore
                          @hybridlore

@whalekeeper

Oh thank you!!! 😁

What I say when I think this is: Suck it up, buttercup.

XD

Honestly that was so funny I’m considering making that my signature 🤣🤣

And the chrysalis butterfly thing!!! (Did you make that up? I’ve never heard it before but it’s awesome!)

Yeah I feel like this is something a lot of people struggle with and I think the problem is . . . self motivation. And willpower 🤣

Which I don’t have a lot of!!! 😆 But I will try all this and yep, definitely tell you if I discover something else that helps too 😉

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3202

@hybridlore

Everyone else has given you great ideas!

I’ll piggyback off of what Kathleen said. If there is one part of your story that you love (characters, world, plot, etc.) then use that as your inspiration to keep going.

I also love what Whaley said. It’s the first draft and it’s not supposed to be perfect!! Sometimes you just have to get through the first draft, or a few (in your opinion) boring scenes/chapters, to really keep your inspiration going. So just keep plugging through!

Another idea, is to work on multiple projects at once, but have one that’s more important than the rest. I think this is what Freedom does. She has her WIP Freedom’s Fire, that is her main focus, but like we all know 😉 , she has a lot more WIP ideas. A few of them she’s written, and some of them she hasn’t. So out of all your ideas, pick your absolute favorite. (This could be a really hard choice XD) Make that your main focus. Then choose a couple that you can work on on the side. Just don’t get so distracted with the less important projects, that you don’t work on your main one as much as you should. 😉

I’ll also say that plotting does help. 😉 I used to be a pantser, but I just couldn’t do it anymore, so I decided I’d make a loose outline. I plotted the story chapter by chapter, writing a quick paragraph about what I wanted in each chapter. Of course, the actual story differed greatly from the plot (I actually ended up creating a whole new character XD), but the plot gave me guidance. If you don’t want to plot, I totally get that, but maybe try different methods (plantsing [an in between] and plotting) on short stories, or only some of your story ideas, just to get a feel for what it’s like and see if it would work for you.

I hoped that helped!! 😊

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

hybridlore
                              @hybridlore

@esther-c

It did!!! 😁 Thanks!!

*files this all away*

I’ll have to brainstorm for a while and see what I even want to write XD and then I can start (trying) to outline, lol

@everyone

Thanks you guys for your extremely long replies!! I know KP is hard to type on and writing responses takes forever 😅😅 So I really appreciate it!!

Esther
                                @esther-c
                                  • Total Posts: 3202

@hybridlore

You’re so welcome!! I’m glad I could help!! 😄

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >