Have you ever considered writing under a pseudonym, and why or why not?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week Have you ever considered writing under a pseudonym, and why or why not?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Have you ever considered writing under a pseudonym, and why or why not?

I have considered it, and I have done it… multiple times. For novels I will probably always stick with my real name, however I pretty much always use pseudonyms for short story contests I participate in online. Mainly Reedsy’s short story contests as they have cool weekly contests with story prompts and are free to participate in. They are really fun. Highly recommend them.

The reason I use pseudonyms for those contests is simply that I have more freedom to write what I want without being a perfectionist about it. Whoever ends up reading it will never know it’s written by me, and that’s really liberating. When I write under pseudonyms for short story contests I can focus more on writing a cool story and not silly thoughts like “what will they think of me if they read this?”

As silly as the question is, it does sometimes creep in and make me overthink about my writing and become too perfectionistic to finish it. And I’d rather leave perfectionism to my novels lol.

What about you? Do you use, or have used, or have considered using a pseudonym? Why or why not?

Also, I got this topic of the week idea from a Authority Pub article that @devastate-lasting linked!

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer
        • Total Posts: 243

I write under a pseudonym. To begin with it was just because I thought it sounded cooler and more fantastical than my real name, lol. And initials are pretty popular among speculative fiction authors (fantasy authors in particular). But as a woman it’s nice because I won’t have to worry about deciding whether or not to change the name I write by when I get married. And I recently realized (thanks to a post by E.G. Bella) that I really like the potential symbolism of “Archer” as a reminder that I’m aiming for something with my work.

I have written under my real name, as well. My blog is sort of a hybrid, with my pen name at the face of it but my real first name on the “about” page. Likewise some of my other non-fiction writing areas and social platforms, either because I prefer the personal-ness of it or because some settings are weird and it displays my real name instead of my pen name (like if I comment on my Teachable course). I once submitted a 30-Second Friendship piece that was under my real name, since it was a real-life experience.

But in my case, writing (officially) under my real name is the less common occurrence, lol.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I use a pen name, since I don’t really like other people knowing my real name, though for pieces I write in real life situations I use my real name. I think it’s cooler to have a name that I chose for myself, and it gives off the kind of vibe I want to give off.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Lavender Bleu
          @lavenderbookling
            • Total Posts: 19

Yes I have. I chose a pen name when I joined the National Novel Writing Month website for internet safety reasons. I also think that my pen name is more interesting than my legal name, and the origin is also way more nerdy. (It’s a nod to both the sci-fi graphic novel NewsPrints and the song Lavender’s Blue.)

Another reason I like using a pen name is for anonymity. I find that it’s much easier to be open and honest with people when I’m using my pen name, and I also have to stop and think “do I want this associated with my name?” Because I have the privilege of building my reputation from the ground up by using a pen name.

In addition to that, since I’ve started a blog that isn’t related to writing, I’m finding myself wondering if I should make a new pen name for that, or simply use my legal name in some way, since I don’t know if or how I want to associate myself with it.

Great success often depends on being able to distinguish between the impossible and the improbable.

R.M. Archer
            @r-m-archer

@lavenderbookling

Hi, Bleu! ^-^

Elfwing
              @elfwing
                • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm i have considered it but I guess i feel fake using it. no offense to those who use them! they’re super cool.also i havent had much luck with them; very embarrassingly, the few i HAVE thought of I’ve thought of are used by authors of books i wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole XD

so i abbreviated my real name; I. L. Tanis. its weird enough someone might think it a pen name XDD

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

R.M. Archer
                @r-m-archer

@elfwing

WAIT. YOU’RE— OH! I totally hadn’t connected you to this username! Hi! XD 😀

Elishavet Pidyon
                  @elishavet-pidyon
                    • Total Posts: 1013

@kathleenramm

I have considered it, but since nothing I’ve written has reached publication, I never have.

Most of my pen name ideas are nerdy distortions of my real name (like Elishavet Pidyon, for instance) whereof I loved the meaning.

Why? Well, I don’t know where God wants me to go or do, and I’d rather not have my name out there, easily connected with ______(fill in the blank). It’s internet security really.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Karissa Chmil
                    @karissa-chmil
                      • Total Posts: 96

Mm, not really – when I was younger I did use a pen name for the most part on the internet just for safety reasons, but once I turned thirteen I started using my real name more.

Part of me is drawn to the idea merely because a pen name sounds fun (XD), but the rest of me just doesn’t want the hassle. Trying to constantly keep those two parts of my life separate, to remember when to use my real name and when to use my pen name. . . I’ll pass (though I have a lot of respect for people who do successfully handle a pen name).

Also, as the daughter of missionaries, my name and picture are already on the internet. XD It’s pretty inevitable at this point, so I don’t really see a point, for me personally, in trying to argue for a pen name for security reasons.

Anyhow, pen names are awesome for some, but I think I’ll stick with Karissa for now. XP

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Faith Q.
                      @faith-q
                        • Total Posts: 106

@kathleenramm

Yeah, I did. Well, my full name is Faith Elizabeth Quelle, and I go by both Faith Elizabeth and Faith Quelle (Faith Elizabeth is my writing name), and I’ve broadcasted that enough that anyone wanting to find it out would, so there are no security reasons involved. But when I was younger, I thought I’d write under the name Vierra F. Spring. Vierra is Faith in Russian (pronounced more like VEE-era and technically spelled Vera), F is obviously my first initial, and Quelle means ‘spring’ or ‘source in German’. So it wasn’t exactly a pseudonym, but it kinda was.

I decided not to use it when someone laughed at the way it sounded. My twelve-year-old self was saddened immensely.

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice
                          • Total Posts: 3365

I was seriously considering using a pseudonym for several years, but I decided against it for a couple of reasons. One being that I started getting published when I was quite young, so my real name was already out there. I’ve won competitions under Chelsea Hindle, been published in magazines, and obviously did my internship here with that name, my blog is also under that name (albeit, the shortened form, Chelsea R.H.) At this point, it would be too much work (for me personally) to try starting my marketing essentially from scratch with a new name.

The other reason is that I appreciate how unique my name is! There’s a handful of other people with the name, but no established authors have anything remotely like it (I know, I’ve googled). H sits nicely on a bookshop shelf, not too far down the line. And it looks nice on a book cover, which is obviously the most important thing.

Also, if/when I get married, I’d continue to write under Hindle, just because it would be easier!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@faith-q You need to write at least one short story under Vierra F. Spring, and no one will understand except that one person who laughed at you.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Kathleen
                            @kathleenramm
                              • Total Posts: 635

@r-m-archer

Haha, yeah pseudonyms are a great chance to have the name you always wished was yours lol.

Also, I really like the meaning behind your name archer! It constantly gives you the reminder of what you are aiming towards. Plus, it sounds cool which is a bonus.

@lavenderbookling

I 100% agree with you about it being so much easier being honest when you aren’t attached to your real name. It’s freeing in a way.

I guess it’s because we have a sense of pride or possibly even guilt associated with our real names and an either conscious or subconscious sense of duty to uphold it’s reputation. As someone who is a pretty socially awkward person, I sometimes use a different name to introduce myself to people in real life. Because, I don’t know, somehow I have a lot easier time talking with them. Also, it’s kinda fun too.

I guess that’s probably why so many writer’s use pseudonyms. Writing a novel requires the level of honesty that some people don’t even have with their closest friends and family.

Anyways, Lavender Bleu is a really pretty name! How long have you had it?

@elishavet-pidyon

Yeah, totally makes sense. There’s something so weird about having your private info on the internet. Even if it’s as little as your name.

@devastate-lasting

Makes sense. I don’t even like people knowing my real name in real life lol. And yeah, there’s something so special about having a name that you chose for yourself.

@seekjustice

Yes. How aesthetic your name looks on a book is KEY.

But yeah, keeping your real name makes total sense once you’ve already published works under it. Unless of course you regret those works and hope no one ever finds them lol.

At what age did you start publishing your stories?

Lavender Bleu
                              @lavenderbookling
                                • Total Posts: 19

@kathleenramm

I definitely think that given names have more expectations attached to them because people get to know you, and your family, and that results in… expectations. (Unsurprisingly.) And pen names make it much easier to dodge those expectations, I suppose. They also have the advantage of allowing you to live a sort of secret life if you want. Writers are like superheroes, in a way.

And it is liberating to choose your identity, and forge it purely from your imagination, preferences, and personal convictions. You don’t have to be the result of your past experiences.

But that’s not the question you asked. ;P

Thanks! I like it a lot myself.

I’ve had this pen name since… at least since I joined NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) because I needed an internet-safe name and I assumed that meant pen names. I kind of thought about it previously, but I never started actively using it until I turned 15 and was granted more internet privileges.

Great success often depends on being able to distinguish between the impossible and the improbable.

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@kathleenramm

I started entering competitions and submitting work to magazines/anthologies when I was about 13 I think? I’m pretty sure I was first published at 14, and then had several other publications after that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >