Greetings, Fellow Writers!!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Greetings, Fellow Writers!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mary G
    @maryg3
      • Total Posts: 90

Hello! I just got to say that I am very excited to be joining the Kingdom Pen!!

My name is Mary! Where shall I start?… Let see, I’m a Catholic and I write to glorify God! I was homeschooled and graduated two years ago. I love reading, writing, floristry, and painting. My all-time favorite books are The Letzenstein Chronicles by Meriol Trevor, but I also love anything by C.S. Lewis or Charles Dickens. Oh, and I can’t forget my second favorite book, The Giver!
      My writing interests range from poetry, short stories, and novels, but my favorite genres are realistic, mystery, science, and historical fiction (with spontaneous NO romance, PLZZZ).

My goal in writing is to provide clean, wholesome adventures that are just as captivating as other books and leave the reader wanting to aspire to be more, to do more, and to live for more (without getting sidetracked by secular ideas)!

I recently discovered how fun it is to write short stories and am a fan!!! They are like great little exercises that can give you another place to use one or two of the millions of ideas you have instead of accidentally dumping too many into a novel.

Also, I have illustrated and written a children’s book, “Leo Goes to France.” You can find it on West bow press.com.

God Bless,

Mary Gaughan

INFJ/ChristianFiction/ IceCreamAddict/ StarGazer/ https://lamplighterletters.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@maryg3 Ay, welcome to the forum! I’m Linyang, though most here call me Lin! Glad to have you here!

Yes, short stories are very fun! I’ve been writing more of them lately myself, they really do wonders for exercises.

What is the premise of your current work in progress?

Also, do you like pineapple on pizza?

Lovely to have you here! Hope to see you around the forum!

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Mary G
        @maryg3

Hi Lin!

I am currently working on my second draft of a Christian fiction novel, while planning out two other novels for young adults. The first one is placed in the post-Depression era involving a time-travel adventure. And the second is a science fiction novel placed in the future.

Sorry, but I can’t stand pineapple on pizza. I had it once and never tried it again. Xb

What would you say has driven your desire to write?

Also, what writing meme described your current writing state?

INFJ/ChristianFiction/ IceCreamAddict/ StarGazer/ https://lamplighterletters.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Daisy Torres
          @daisy-torres
            • Total Posts: 691

@maryg3 Hi, Mary!! Welcome to KingdomPen!!

I am a scifi fantasy writer/author, with two published books! I also have a blog, but I’m a master procrastinator so I rarely update T_T

I love telling cheesy jokes, hate hallmark movies, love CS Lewis, kinda like Tolkien, and love historical fiction/Fantasy/Sci-Fi novels. Especially if they’re long XD

I published my second novel a week ago on Amazon! It’s called The Art of Deception if you ever want to check it out!

It’s so cool that you illustrated a children’s book!! What art program did you use? I illustrated one with my parents a while back, but it didn’t turn out well XD

Do you play any instruments?

Joke of the month: A weasel walks into a restaurant. The waitress asks, “What do you want?” “Pop,” goes the weasel. *badum tss*

Great to have you here!!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting

@maryg3 Your WIPs all sound so interesting! I would love to hear more about them!

Hmm…what has driven my desire to write? Perhaps it’s to get the stories out of my head onto paper, or maybe because writing is like breathing, and I can’t live without. Maybe it’s after I realised that my writing could make others feel things, and I want to do that again. But above all, I want to glorify God through it.

Ah, writing memes…

What about you?

Mary G
              @maryg3

Hey Daisy,

Oh, Wow! Good for you!

I illustrated my book by hand in watercolor and pen, took pictures of them, and then sent them to my publisher! It was painstaking to make them look clear and defined. I am not a hundred % happy with how it turned out, but it was a good experience to get a feel for the publishing industry.

I use to play the piano. I do miss playing an instrument though…

That’s so cool you have a blog! What do you write about?

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 1379

@maryg3

Hi, Mary! I’m Joy, and I write Biblical fiction. My work-in-progress is a novel about St. Paul from his sister’s perspective.

It is so great to meet you! I also love C.S. Lewis. My #1 favorite book is Les Misérables by Victor Hugo, with my second favorite being To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I love your mission for writing! It’s wonderful to see someone who wants to provide fun adventures while pointing readers to Christ.

Oh – also, I don’t know if you’ve already heard of him, but I recently discovered a Catholic priest/Franciscan friar on YouTube who makes inspirational and faith-filled videos. His name is Father Casey Cole. I’ll link the channel here and hope the forum doesn’t eat my post. 😉 Breaking in the Habit – YouTube

It’s so cool that you wrote and illustrated a children’s book! That takes a lot of talent.

Welcome to the Kingdom!

Mary G
                  @maryg3

Hey Lin,

Thanks! Here are the titles of my WIP’s and a summary for each:

• The Inventor’s Daughter: Christian fiction

Emilia Taylor could never have imagined what adventures, trials, and truths awaited her in the country if her uncle hadn’t suddenly taken her from their city dwellings in London. For the first time, despite her amnesia, Emilia is given the chance to become her own person and build a new reputation for herself, but unaware of the sacrifices required.
                    By being a witness in the lives of her many new friends, she draws valuable lessons and support from them as she seeks to become part of the One True Faith, which would lead her to discover the undeniable existence of God’s providence in her life.
                    But the day would come for Emilia when she would be faced with the choice of choosing which family she wants to be a part of; either with the wealthy people who took her in, or yearning for her past life with her parents that she could have had, but can’t remember, or sacrificing both to be part of the universal family found in the Catholic Church. What will she choose to DEFINE herself?

Saving the Greats: Historical/adventure/time-travel

Eugene Sinclair, a young brain surgeon, suffers from a guilty conscience from making his sister an invalid by operating on her. He takes it upon himself to care for two orphans, (one who is deaf and dumb,) and brings them to the family manor that has been shut up since he was twelve years old. The threesome uncovers in the manor a way to travel to the past, but are unable to control when adventure will strike next. Before they know it, they are swept up in a quest to save the greatest authors of our time. On their last few times to the past, they are faced with surprising revelations and choices that will affect each one of their futures for better or for worse. They learn to trust that where they are in their present journey is not a mistake, but only a grand detour, that few are called to walk, to greatness.

The First Tomorrow:

Science Fiction/dystopian

This plot is still in the makings. So far I have my protagonist’s name: Julian. He is actually 20 in normal year’s but in his place, his is considered to be sixteen which is adulthood. And the Incident is when he heads to the sleeping cells(b/c no one owns a home with a bed=no privacy) and is curious to see what would happen if he didn’t take the pill that supposedly would help him sleep. Wondering if he would even fall asleep. He does but he sees things in his sleep…Dreams! In his futuristic world, they even control your dreams and sleep by giving you a pill. They control any chance of a person having an original idea or thinking differently! No one else has ever had a dream or knows what it is. In his dream he has a vision of what the real world looks like and that it still exists. Since he is an adult now (16) his is trained for his future life assignment, he is going to be a law enforcer type person. (still not sure what to call them) Also everyone’s food and water contain a drug that makes them forget what happens every 48 hours. There is no night in this place because it is not efficient because it is a waste of time and more could be accomplished, and there is less time for people to sit around and think. That is why there are sleeping Cells. A person goes there whenever they choose to sleep for six hours and takes a pill to force themselves to rest/recharge and have no dreams of course. There are A Lot of other details but I won’t mention them now;)

SAME! There are worlds bursting inside of me and I have to write them down or I feel a little crazy, but whatever I write there always is a lesson or message accompanying it and gives people a deeper grasp on humanity when they leave. But I do it all for God! I feel He has called me to write!

Also, what time of the day do you like to write?

Mary G
                    @maryg3

Hiya Joy,

That sounds really interesting! I like that POV!

C.S Lewis is the best! I have a board on Pinterest just for all of his AWESOME quotes! Haha! He really gets people! Same with Charles Dickens!!

Ooh! Sounds cool! I’ll have to check that out!

Have you published any books?

Aw, thanks! I know God has given me the gifts have. It makes it so much easier to see how He wants us to give back to Him and those around us!

What book do you think they failed at adapting into a movie?? I know my answer….The HOBBIT!!!

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 1379

@maryg3

Thank you!

I agree – C.S. Lewis really does get people!

Nope, haven’t published any books yet. But I aim to do so someday… goal is to have The Apostle’s Sister be my debut novel.

Yes, so true! By the way, I read the synopsis to your first WIP and really like it! I love the theme of the universal family, since my belief is that true family is the family of Christ.

Hmm, I’m not sure. I think that the 2012 movie of Les Misérables was a failure by musical standards, since the music in that movie is terrible and missed the point more than once. But I can’t honestly say it was a complete failure since most of the acting was terrific and I sobbed throughout the entire thing. XD

Mary G
                        @maryg3

Cool! That’s a great Title!

Oh thank you!! You have no idea how MANY TIMES I have tried to write a synopsis for my book and I finally found just the right way to word it!! I’ve been working on this book for 3 years!😄 And if you are confused by the title I called it that because her father was an inventor and she was afraid to be known or have the reputation of being his daughter, on account of her parent’s actions. Overcoming this fear of being defined by her past and also letting go of her past, is also a main theme, which drew her to be part of the Catholic Faith.

I’m still trying to refine my theme because I feel like I have too many things going on, and also not being too preachy.

I haven’t seen the 2012 movie, but I saw the one with Hugh Jackman and I really liked it!

Being so new to here, do you know whether or not I can ask/submit for book critiques at all??

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting

@maryg3 Whoa, I would totally read all of these! Especially the last one!

That meme is quite relatable, haha.

I like to write in the morning. I feel more productive then. *glances at the clock, realising it is late afternoon and hasn’t finished work*

What about you?

Mary G
                            @maryg3

THANKS! I’ll let you know when I have it finished!

Haha! That’s so true!! I tend to write at night and stay up way too late!

*glances at the clock, realizing I have two more minutes till tomorrow!* (11:08pm) Yikes!!

Daisy Torres
                              @daisy-torres
                                • Total Posts: 691

@maryg3 Ohh okk!! That’s so cool!!! We had the same problem with illustrating ours haha.

Oh neaat!! I looove the piano. I don’t play it well though XD I have a friend who sometimes plays for our church services. He plays so well.

Thanks! I do a lot of writing tips–like things that have helped me. Or sometimes I’ll do research for a book of mine and publish my findings on my blog. I also do bits of poetry and short stories! It’s not a very good blog yet though XD

Hmm, well I live in the US in Texas. If I could live anywhere it would be here, but a little closer to some of my family! You?

Also have you ever heard of a Youtube Channel called Studio C? They do clean comedic skits and they’re hilariousss. I highly recommend them!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Mary G
                                @maryg3

Yeah, well I know what I’ll do differently next time for another children’s book.

That’s neat!! I’ve been considering starting a blog! I’m just not sure how I even start one. Any advice?

That’s good you love your state so much!! I live in Minnesota. I can’t stand the irregular temperatures these last years. It gets way too cold in the winter and then it got up to 100 degrees this summer. I hate the heat… So I wouldn’t mind living somewhere like Main, or Ireland, or England.

Oh Yes! I’ve seen a couple of them. They are hilarious. Have you seen the one about the Library Card Heist?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >