Greetings, Fellow Writers!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Greetings, Fellow Writers!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    elizabethcan
    @elizabethcan
      • Total Posts: 11

Hello all! I’m very excited to be joining this forum and community.

My name is Elizabeth and I’m a homeschooled Christian teen who loves reading, writing, and knitting. My all-time favorite book is Pride and Prejudice, though I also love anything by N.D. Wilson, Jane Austen, C.S. Lewis, or Andrew Peterson. My interests range from speculative fiction to nonfiction, but my favorite genres are fantasy and historical fiction (preferably with no romance).

I love writing short stories and am currently working on one set in the Great Depression. I’m also trying to figure out if I want to keep working on a Middle Grade contemporary fantasy.

I look forward to meeting y’all!
      Elizabeth

Jodi Maile
      @jodi-maile
        • Total Posts: 138

@elizabethcan

Hi Elizabeth! Welcome to Kingdom Pen! I’m Jodi, one of the writing interns here at KP.

I love Pride & Prejudice too! I’m also reading On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson right now, and I’m really enjoying it.

Yay! Another person who likes historical fiction and fantasy. I usually write in those genres as well as the occasional dystopian story.

Your Great Depression story sounds really interesting–I’d love to read it! I’m trying to write one short story a month, with my inspiration mainly coming from fairy tales.

Who are your top three favorite characters right now? (from books or movies/tv)

If you could go anywhere in any book you’ve read, where would you go and why?

It’s so nice to meet you! Welcome again to Kingdom Pen, and I hope to see you around on the forums! 🙂

elizabethcan
        @elizabethcan

Hello Jodi! Nice to meet you, and thank you for your kind welcome!

Cool! Who’s your favorite character in Pride and Prejudice?

Historical fiction and fantasy are awesome. And so’s dystopian – I respect anyone who can write a good dystopian story. (Having attempted a few myself, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I am horrible at writing dystopian.)

Thank you! I’m probably going to post it here for critique when it’s done, and I can tag you if you like. That’s a great goal! Do you have a bigger WIP, like a novel?

Oooh, hard question. I think 1. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice 2. Edmond Dantes from The Count of Monte Cristo and 3. Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle. Who are your top three characters?

Another really hard one! I’d love to go to Paris – a book with Paris is The Count of Monte Cristo again – and I’d also love to see old English castles, like in Follow the Dawn by Rachelle Rea Cobb. But in the end, I think I’d agree with Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz – there’s no place like home. 🙂 What about you? Where would you go if you could go to the setting of any book you’ve read?

Thanks again! I’m very happy to be here.

Ooh, one thing. I’m not sure if I have this tagging thing down yet, since it’s different than any other sites I’ve seen. Do I need to use an @ sign before your username in the tag section? Thanks in advance!

Jodi Maile
          @jodi-maile
            • Total Posts: 138

@elizabethcan

My favorite character from Pride & Prejudice would be Lizzie. I just really enjoy the character development she goes through from the beginning to the end of the story!

Oh thank you! Dystopian is challenging and I don’t do it much anymore but I still have some story ideas I’m interested in pursuing in that genre.

I’d love to be tagged! Historical fiction is so interesting. I don’t have a bigger WIP right now, since because of school I have a lot of work that drags my attention away from longer projects, but I’m hoping to work on a larger project this summer. 🙂

My current top three are Tony Stark from the MCU, Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings, and Mulan from…Mulan (the animated movie).

I would go to the Shire, specifically when Gandalf is there with fireworks. Or Lothlorien, because the forest is so beautifully described.

Yes, so when I tag people, I usually just look below their profile picture in the forum and copy and paste their username with the @ symbol in front of it. That should work for you, I think! 🙂

elizabethcan
            @elizabethcan

Yes, I absolutely agree about Lizzie. She’s an awesome main character.

You’re welcome! That sounds really cool.

Great, I’ll remember that when I post it. But it’s not even a quarter of the way done yet, so we’ll see when that happens. Yeah, I totally get that. It’s hard to maintain a long WIP. Fun!

Oh, those are some awesome characters! (While I’ve never watched any of the Marvel superhero movies, I do know the other two.) Great choices!

*facepalm* How did I forget about the LOTR? Those sound like awesome places to visit. I wish Middle Earth was a real place…

Perfect. Did I succeed in tagging you?

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting
                • Total Posts: 1700

@elizabethcan Hey welcome! Nice to meet you!

Some questions to get to know you, ahhh….

1. What’s your current WIP about? The Great Depression is an awesome time period to write in, I think.

2. Pineapple on pizza? Yes or no?

3. What music do you like?

Hope to see you around!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                Would you mind letting me know
                If hours don't turn into days

Elfwing
                @elfwing
                  • Total Posts: 486

@elizabethcan

hello!

good to meet you!

Do you like tea? If so what kind?

What is your favourite critter? Mythical or real

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 1379

@elizabethcan

Hi, Elizabeth! I’m JC. It’s great to have you join us. 🙂

I love C.S. Lewis, too! What’s your favorite book by him? For nonfiction, I love his book Mere Christianity, and for fiction, The Chronicles of Narnia. If I had to pick just one from that series, it would be The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

I love reading and writing historical fiction, too! My two all-time favorite books, Les Misérables and To Kill a Mockingbird (anyone around here can tell you I talk about those endlessly) are historical fiction. Your story set in the Great Depression sounds awesome! A very interesting time period, for sure.

elizabethcan
                    @elizabethcan

@devastate-lasting

Hello and nice to meet you!

1. It’s about a girl – Eva – whose father has tuberculosis and whose mother is looking for a job. Eva finds a young hobo named Charlie and she tries to get her family to help him. Yikes, that doesn’t sound very interesting! (I certainly hope it is. But as it’s my fault I don’t have a nicer blurb, I can’t complain.)

2. No pineapple! I like plain ol’ pepperoni.

3. I’m a fan of classical, folk, and Christian rock. (I think? I listen to a small band called Wake Low a lot and I’m not really sure what genre they fall into.)

elizabethcan
                      @elizabethcan

@elfwing

Hello, and it’s nice to meet you too. I love your username, by the way!

I do like tea. (No coffee for me, please!) I like any kind that’s really flavorful, and I like my tea brewed black. My favorite kind is sweet and spicy, and I also like gingerbread tea. Oooh, and I like black tea with a little lemon juice and honey.

Oh, no. I’m horrible at answering this question. (Hmmm…) I really like dolphins, rabbits, and hippogriffs. Two real, one mythical. 😉

elizabethcan
                        @elizabethcan

@joy-caroline

Hello, JC! Good to meet you.

Awesome! I really liked Til We Have Faces, but The Chronicles of Narnia are a close second. I’ve never read Mere Christianity, though it is on my to-read list. My favorite book in The Chronicles of Narnia is probably The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Yes, historical fiction is wonderful. Oh, I love Les Miserables and To Kill a Mockingbird, too. My Great Depression story was actually inspired by Scout, as I wanted to take on the challenge of writing a very young protagonist. So the main character of my Great Depression story is six years old, like Scout. Thank you!

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting
                            • Total Posts: 1700

@elizabethcan Ah, that sounds very interesting! I’d love to read it when you’re finished!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                            Would you mind letting me know
                            If hours don't turn into days

Lydia S.
                            @lydia-s
                              • Total Posts: 399

@elizabethcan

Hi, Elizabeth! Welcome to the KP forum! I’m Lydia. 😀

Woohoo, Pride and Prejudice! I love Jane Austen’s work, specifically Persuasion. Actually, a friend and I are working on a modern-day compilation/re-telling of Emma, Pride and Prejudice, and Persuasion. It’s a lot of fun!

C.S. Lewis is wonderful! I’m a huge Narnia fan. 😀 I’m also a fan of N.D. Wilson (Though I only really read the prequel and 100 Cupboards; I skimmed through the two sequels… *facepalm*) and Andrew Peterson (Still have to finish The Wingefeather Saga though. As a side note, Arthram forever.😉)

Here are a few questions for you, if you feel like answering them:

1) Who is your all-time favorite character?

2) Uhhh… *glances over previous comments and notes that all of my usual questions and the pineapple question have already been answered* *shrugs* If you had to change your name, what would you change it to?

3) What is your biggest writing pet peeve?

Once again, welcome to KP! Can’t wait to get to know you. 😀

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 1379

@elizabethcan

High-fives! They are the best books ever written!

That’s so cool your protagonist is inspired by Scout! I’d love to read your story if you ever wanted to share it or have someone beta read it. 🙂

elizabethcan
                                @elizabethcan

@devastate-lasting Thank you! I’ll definitely remember that.

@lydia-s
                                  Hello!

Oh, that sounds awesome! I adore Jane Austen and retellings are so cool. That does sound like fun!

To answer your questions:

1. Elizabeth Bennet. Lizzie forever! 🙂

2. I have no idea! *pauses to think* Probably Leah or Hannah. Or Abigail. But I really like my name! (It helps that my all-time favorite character shares it with me!)

3. When I have so many ideas that I can’t write because I’m so overwhelmed. It’s the opposite of writer’s block! But writer’s block does bug me, too.

Thank you! I’m glad to be here. You too!

@joy-caroline I agree.

Thank you! If I post it for critique here (assuming I finish it and am sufficiently satisfied) I can tag you. On a random side note, I love your name!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >