Favorite Fonts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

Hey KeePers!

Okay, I know this is something we don’t usually talk about lol, but I want to know everyone’s favorite fonts to write their novels. I think fonts are linked to creativity somehow, lol, ’cause I used to write in plain ol’ Times New Roman all the time. But I found that when I switched to a different font, the new visual made me more excited to write and more engaged in the story. Right now I’m going through a Georgia Pro phase. XD

So, what font do y’all write your novels in? (Also, if anyone says Comic Sans, I… I don’t know what I will say. JK. But I don’t like Comic Sans.)

@jenwriter17
      @nova21 @daisy-torres @godlyfantasy12 @millennium @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @keilah-h @faith-q @ariel-f @devastate-lasting @seekjustice @writerlexi1216 @gracie-j @scripter-of-kingdoms @anyone

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@joy-caroline I like to use Times New Romans or something similar like Baskerville maybe. I’m pretty basic. 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

Alexa Autorski
        @writerlexi1216
          • Total Posts: 1011

@joy-caroline

OH. I can’t tell you how many times changing fonts has saved my writing life and helped me fight through writer’s block. I don’t know what it is, but it’s pure magic. Some of my favorites are…

1. Iowan Old Style (found on Scrivener)

2. Cutive

3. Bitter (weird name for a font but I like the choppy style)

4. Spectral

5. Nanum Myeongjo (found on Google Docs)

Also Palatino is good, as well as Charter! Those are just my two (or seven?) cents. Good luck with it!

P.S. FontSpace is a great (and easy) way to download new fonts. Check it out!:)

Morgan
          @morgan
            • Total Posts: 51

@joy-caroline

The font I use usually depends on what I’m writing, but for my current WIP, I’m using MV Boli.

Some people fail; others learn what not to try.

Faith Q.
            @faith-q
              • Total Posts: 106

@joy-caroline,

I have to admit, I’m pretty boring… I write in Arial almost all the time. I’ve actually never considered the possibility of writing in a different font for creativity. But I’m very interested to see the responses to this post!

Anonymous

@jenwriter17

Thanks for sharing!

@writerlexi1216

I know, right!? Fonts ARE pure magic!

Ooh, I love all of those! I really like Spectral, especially, and I use Palatino quite often. And now I’m totally gonna check out FontSpace.

@morgan

The fonts I use often depend on the WIP, as well!

@faith-q

Ah. I cannot write in Arial to save my life, idk why. XD I guess I’m too obsessed with details.

Madelyn
                @madelyn
                  • Total Posts: 115

@joy-caroline

I had to hop on here since I’m a font fanatic ;P

Great idea for a topic, by the way!

Times New Roman and Georgia are my go-to normal fonts (Arial is a little too plain for me), but lately, I’ve been trying slightly older looking and more dramatic fonts like Gentium Book Basic, Crimson Text, and IM Fell DW Pica (which is the most dramatic 😉 ).

As far as more decorative text, my favorites would have to be Princess Sofia, Eagle Lake, and Calligraffiti

What do y’all generally use for the more decorative stuff, like chapter headings and such?

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

ella
                  @nova21
                    • Total Posts: 604

@joy-caroline

I use a different font for all my books, and in my current one, Westview, I use Yu Gothic.  Different fonts really do work magic… is that a psychology thing or what??

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                    -gladiator, 2000

Anonymous

@madelyn

Thanks!

I love IM Fell DW Pica! It’s such a cool-looking font and great for creativity.

*chokes in has never given thought to different fonts for chapter headings*

@nova21

Different fonts honestly DO work magic. Super weird, but somehow they do!

Alexa Autorski
                      @writerlexi1216
                        • Total Posts: 1011

@madelyn

Hmm… for chapter headings, Cinzel Decorative is nice, Chanticleer Roman NF is also pretty-looking, Herculanum is quirky, and Aniron is good for medieval-styled stories, in my opinion. I’d highly recommend FontSpace if you’re looking for new fonts! You can even type in “Chapter One” and see what it looks like. 🙂

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting
                          • Total Posts: 1700

@joy-caroline runs through documents

Currently using:

Fu Family Boarding House – Calisto MT

Those Who Were Given Another Yesterday – Candara

They Called Him Lang – Californian FB

The Mafia of Heather Flights – Linux Libertine Display G (might change again later)

A Land of Wind and Roses – Corbel

As you can see from the amount of C fonts, I don’t scroll down very far. But yeah, Calisto MT, Candara, Californian FB, Corbel, I’ve been using those a lot recently. Used to use Baskerville Oldface and High Tower Text as well, but I’ve been going for more of a sans serif typeface lately. Somewhat easier to read. Everything 11 point text, 1.5 spacing.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                          Would you mind letting me know
                          If hours don't turn into days

Anatra
                          @anatra23
                            • Total Posts: 211

@joy-caroline

Man, rly getting deep in the topics here.

Ah, I particularly mostly like to use Bell MT, pretty casual, I have been using it to write novels for some years now, and have just kind of stuck with it. I honestly don’t like spacing much between my lines, and I like my writing to be as condensed, while still easy to read, as possible so I use relatively small fonts most of the time, and Bell MT helps with that I guess.

Anonymous

@devastate-lasting

Ooh, I’ll have to try out those fonts!

@anatra23

LOL, we are. 😂

I’m the opposite, lol. I usually prefer quite a bit of spacing between my lines and bigger fonts, mainly because my eyesight isn’t too good.

Thanks for sharing!

Madelyn
                              @madelyn
                                • Total Posts: 115

@joy-caroline

Yep, IM Fell DW Pica is an amazing font! (though I gotta say, its name is a bit of a mouthful XD). I really enjoy its character because it often fits in well with my writing style.

That’s interesting that you’ve never tried that! It’s super fun to find a font for your chapter heading that reflects the character of your novel 🙂 On the other hand, I can attest from personal experience that trying to find the right font can turn into an hour of procrastinating writing XD. Still, I’d definitely recommend it!

@writerlexi1216

Ooh, I like Cinzel Decoritive! I’ll have to try that more often.

FontSpace looks like an awesome tool! Do you get most of your fonts from there?

I really love Aniron! Definitely getting the medieval vibe from it 😀

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Elizabeth
                                @lewilliams
                                  • Total Posts: 252

@joycaroline Lol, I also hate comic sans, but I’m that weird writer who will occasionally use it when I’m writing. There’s just something about it that’s so unassuming and easy to read (especially if I’m trying to proofread something, particularly essays) that it takes the pressure off and helps me get words on the page if I’m stuck. That being said, it’s still just….not my favorite font. 😛

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >