Fantasy Writing – Struggles, Strengths, and How We Do It

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Fantasy Writing – Struggles, Strengths, and How We Do It

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Scoutillus Finch
    @scoutfinch180
      • Total Posts: 413

I do also have a couple questions :).

I have a map that I’ve been working on for YEARS and I don’t even think it’s very geographically accurate, (it’s not in an identifiable shape, but it’s very crowded because I went crazy on the hills and mountains and such) any suggestions? It’s a current one of many side-things that I do instead of worldbuilding a sci-fi I have on the front-burner.

(I’m a little stumped because I want to find a way to map out a galaxy and figure out where there are places with human inhabitants) but I want some basis in ancient Greek and Roman culture.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Scoutillus Finch
      @scoutfinch180
        • Total Posts: 413

I just realized i didn’t have a couple questions so I’ll add one more:

What’s your opinion on a prince that can turn into a dragon? Just as a random question for a later WIP.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer
          • Total Posts: 243

@lewilliams I have a bunch of posts about worldbuilding, if you want to give those a look and see if any of them are helpful. The blog Unusual Things also has some great worldbuilding posts. And Scout’s advice was good, too! Having a focusing point can be super helpful. (KP doesn’t like links, so I’ll link to my blog in a second post. :P)

@scoutfinch180
          A prince who turns into a dragon sounds awesome!

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

R.M. Archer
          @r-m-archer
            • Total Posts: 243

@lewilliams Link to my blog

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Kads
            @scripter-of-kingdoms
              • Total Posts: 765

@mkfairygirl

Thanks! Making a language is certainly fun to come up with.

A tip for building a language would be to base it from multiple languages/existing words (mine kind of reflects parts of Spanish, French, and maybe a little Polish and Japanese) but to also make things up.

For example, the word faemàtle:

‘Fae’ roughly means ‘fairy’ in various languages, so I adopted that into my own.

But ‘màtle’? That’s entirely made up. Plus I just wanted something that sounds cool. XD

Hope that helped! 😀

staring at the fields
              if nothing's really real
              i'll make the winter now my home

Kads
              @scripter-of-kingdoms

@l-e-williams

First, thank you for the tea! I love tea! 😀

That’s so cool. LoZ is the best!!

I also like ‘Secret of Mana’, which kind of has the same kind of LoZ vibe, but there’s a lot more connection to nature in it and it really draws you in. It’s underappreciated! 🙂

Thanks! I really enjoyed designing the faemàtle! 😀

For worldbuilding, honestly, I think about the world itself, the landscape. What the characters might think if they were adventuring in it. I think about the things that might have happened over the years to that land. I think about its history, what the people have done to it, and that helps me a lot. 🙂

– Grace

staring at the fields
                if nothing's really real

Kads
                @scripter-of-kingdoms

@scoutfinch180

For your map, this is just what I would do:

I’d start the entire map over. And then I would think of what the land is like. If your land is very snowy mountainous, then add mountains and dense forests, perhaps. If it’s humid there, add lots of lakes/bodies of water. (More water around = more humidity!) Think about how the land might have changed over time.

And a prince that turns into a dragon is awesome! Not cliche at all. It kind of reminds me of Mal, from Descendants, if you’ve ever seen that. 🙂

– Grace

staring at the fields
                  if nothing's really real

Katherine
                  @mkfairygirl
                    • Total Posts: 549

@scripter-of-kingdoms Thank you so much!!! 🙂 Your tips were very helpful! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Oooh, I love Descendants!!!!

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                    Fall in love with Jesus

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12
                      • Total Posts: 6645

@scriptor-of-kingdoms

AHHHHHHH!!!!

MY FANTASY SERIES IS 7 BOOKS LONG TOO!!!! WHAAAAAAAT!!!!

ahem XD!

So….honestly I struggle with a lot of stuff cuz I’m not a super technical person so I feel I’m not always supa smart when it comes to certain aspects of writing. Lol. So I’ve started doing my own thing.

worldbuilding for me is a bit hard lol, because I don’t sometimes care for describing stuff 🤣

As for languages. I’m hoping to learn some Latin (and later in years) some Hebrew, so I can take them and mold them into my own language for my characters!

(latin for my Faeries/Pixies/Mer and Hebrew for my elves.)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

Kads
                      @scripter-of-kingdoms

@godlyfantasy12

That’s amazing that your series is also 7 books!! I love writing so much. <3

Well, for writing, I kind of watch what my characters do and say in my head, like a movie. And if I like it, I write it down!! That might help you, I hope. 🙂

Yeah, me too, but I always try to make sure to stop and describe at least something if there’s a lack of atmosphere xD

That’s really cool that you’re doing that with the languages!

(Also, I love elves!!! XD)

staring at the fields
                        if nothing's really real

GodlyFantasy12
                        @godlyfantasy12
                          • Total Posts: 6645

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Honestly I think my fav part of everything is coming up with the ideas and story. I love when stuff is coming together and you’re creating an epic story in your head!

I also really love characters and races (but worldbuilding is….tough 🤣 and while I like some things I don’t like actually writing them out. I prefer creating them in my head)

I think I’m starting to like races more because I’ve done something I think/hope is pretty unique with my Elves and my Faeries/Mer and such. And that makes me excited lol.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                          #ProtectMarcel
                          #ProtectSeb

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >