Fantasy Writing – Struggles, Strengths, and How We Do It

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Fantasy Writing – Struggles, Strengths, and How We Do It

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Kads
    @scripter-of-kingdoms
      • Total Posts: 765

Hi, everyone! My name is Grace, I’m relatively new to the Kingdom, but am a more experienced writer. I’m writing a fantasy-adventure series (so far with 7 books planned) and am just wanting to get into contact with other fantasy writers! I want to know about what you struggle with in writing fantasy or what you love doing as a fantasy writer, so that we may be able to relate, share with, and help each other. 🙂 I hope that us writers can help each other with what we’re doing here in the Kingdom. 😀

Also, how do you get that message that comes after what you say every time you post? XD

staring at the fields
      if nothing's really real
      i'll make the winter now my home

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer
        • Total Posts: 243

@scripter-of-kingdoms Hi! Welcome to KP! ^-^ I’m a fantasy author, and definitely my favorite part is worldbuilding. In particular, building worlds that explore differing worldviews and that use these different angles to bring the truth into focus. Sort of like one of those places where there are rocks that look like they’re just random shapes, but then when you stand at a certain angle they all come together to form an image. I love the fact that the real world reflects the Truth in unlikely places, how even false mythologies have nuggets of the true Story, and I love weaving that concept into my own fictional settings.

I think if you click on your username it will take you to where you can edit your profile, and there’ll be a field titled “Forum signature.” That’s what shows up underneath all your posts. 🙂

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Katherine
        @mkfairygirl
          • Total Posts: 549

@scripter-of-kingdoms Hi, Grace!!! I love writing fantasy too!!!!! I love creating the worlds and magic and rules for magic in fantasy. The harder thing for me is if I choose to create new mythical creatures.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Katherine.

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
          Fall in love with Jesus

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m
            • Total Posts: 1242

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Hi! Now while I write just about everything, I do love writing fantasy. I agree with @r-m-archer, I love how you can reflect truth through fantasy. The part I have the most fun writing in fantasy is creating currency types and fantasy creatures. Particularly unicorns, kelpies, pegasus, winged unicorns, and centaurs. (I like horses XD ).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Abigail.M..
            Kads
            @scripter-of-kingdoms

@r-m-archer

I love world-building, too, it’s definitely fun. My favourite part of being a fantasy author is scripting the characters and their environment: the things they say, do, use, basically their lives. One thing I struggle with, though, is if I get a great idea and want to write another book! Like, c’mon, great ideas! I already have SEVEN PLANNED! Take it easy, book writing is not like anything else! XD

staring at the fields
              if nothing's really real

Kads
              @scripter-of-kingdoms

@mkfairygirl

I love to create worlds, as well! Even describing them makes me want to be there.

Another hard thing for me is not being overly inspired, I guess you could say. When I first began to write my story, I included some stuff similar to Legend of Zelda in there, and my dad pointed that out when he read it. I didn’t really want to change it; but did anyways. Instead of my MC playing an ocarina, I literally made up an instrument instead for her to play. XD

staring at the fields
                if nothing's really real

R.M. Archer
                @r-m-archer

@scripter-of-kingdoms Heyyyy, my first fantasy world started as LoZ fanfiction! XD I’m trying to rebuild it now so that it’s more of its own thing (which isn’t as difficult as you might imagine, thanks to the fact that I was a very under-descriptive writer XD) but still pays some homage to its initial inspiration. It’s sort of a fun balance, now that I’m a lot older and learning how to strike said balance, lol.

There’s nothing wrong with including an ocarina if it makes sense, though. Maybe if it strays too close to feeling like LoZ in other ways, I suppose. New instruments are cool, though! What is your invented instrument like?

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting
                    • Total Posts: 1700

@scripter-of-kingdoms Hello! I write large amounts of fantasy as well…I think I just like the presence of magic in my stories the most…hardest thing for me is to slow down and plot/worldbuild…I usually make stuff up on the fly.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                    Would you mind letting me know
                    If hours don't turn into days

Kads
                    @scripter-of-kingdoms

@r-m-archer I definitely love Legend of Zelda, and have written fanfiction that nobody else is permitted to read. XD Who’s your fave character from it/fave game in the series?

My instrument is called the faemàtle! It’s similar to a six hole ocarina, but is more compact and has fairy wing-like bumps on the sides. It roughly means “fairy flute” in the languages of my books. 🙂

staring at the fields
                      if nothing's really real

R.M. Archer
                      @r-m-archer

@scripter-of-kingdoms Link’s Crossbow Training is the game that introduced me to the world. After that I played Twilight Princess, which has some of my favorite graphics. But my brother got Skyward Sword for Christmas and I find the worldbuilding in that one fascinating. I guess I’d say Skyward Sword is my favorite? But it’s hard to choose, lol.

Very cool! What led to the fairy-wing design?

Kads
                        @scripter-of-kingdoms

@r-m-archer

I’ve definitely heard good things about those games! I’ve only played Ocarina of Time and a bit of A Link to the Past, myself, but I know people that have played others! 🙂

The fairy-wing design of the faemàtle… I made it rather because its name meant “fairy flute” and I kind of wanted the instrument itself to show that!

staring at the fields
                          if nothing's really real

R.M. Archer
                          @r-m-archer

@scripter-of-kingdoms That’s cool! What inspired the name, then?

Katherine
                            @mkfairygirl
                              • Total Posts: 549

@scripter-of-kingdoms that is so cool that you created your own instrument!!!! And it means “fairy flute”?!?!?!?! THAT’S EVEN COOLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😃😄

Also, I’ve been trying to create the language in my WIP, do you have any tips that could help me with that?

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                              Fall in love with Jesus

Elizabeth
                              @lewilliams
                                • Total Posts: 252

Hello Grace!! I’m Elizabeth, and it’s so very nice to meet you. Here, have some tea. *hands you a mug*

That’s so cool that you like LoZ!! I’m currently looking fondly at my bullet journal, which has not one but two Zelda stickers on the cover. Are there any other video games/game series that you’re into? 😀 Plus, faemàtle is such a cool name for an instrument.

I am primarily a fantasy writer, so this is such a neat topic for me! Honestly, worldbuilding is rather difficult for me, so I’d appreciate y’all’s tips on it. 😛

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Scoutillus Finch
                                @scoutfinch180
                                  • Total Posts: 413

@lewilliams

I’m totally in the same boat about worldbuilding! But one often helpful thing about worldbuilding: a guiding principle or two which is something that makes it different from the ordinary world, like magic rings that give the wearer powers in LOTR.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >