Fantasy/Modern School AU RP

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Fantasy/Modern School AU RP

Viewing 15 posts - 6,136 through 6,150 (of 6,298 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 4721

This RP just moves so fast, and we have so many people.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ellette Giselle
      @ellette-giselle
        • Total Posts: 1080

@keilah-h

They are literally standing outside the elevator.

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

RAE
        @rae
          • Total Posts: 3559

@whalekeeper

Nar

But space is so beautiful! Once you see your first nebulae, you’ll agree with me! Nar exclaimed inwardly. She would figure out how to get Hugo to space one day, but if he was happy as he was, why argue with him?

Nar’s eyes followed where Hugo indicated. She shrugged. “Why not?” As the store’s door swung open, a waft of air, carrying the faint smell of pencil wood and a new notebook, met them. Nar smiled, “Smells nice at least…oh! Sparkly!” Her attention was caught by a pink notebook, with glitter across the front.

I’m sorry, I’m tired. My brain won’t let me continue.

“Gargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

whaley
          @whalekeeper
            • Total Posts: 3143

@rae

Hugo

It truly smelled like a nice place. The stationary supplies had a warm glow to them. Racks and bookshelves filled the room to the brim, rich as a glass of sparkling alcohol. A large golden-font poster hung over the front window, advertising a bookbinding guild. This was only one of the many themed shops.

Hugo picked up and hefted a leather journal, and the pages rustled beautifully. It thumped against his palm. “I’ll have to remember this place.”

Nar wandered farther into the shop. She found the printing press in the back, where a middle-aged man was slotting letter blocks. On the other side was a metal typesetter machine.

Hugo grinned when he saw the machine. “Now that is like home.”

The man noticed them and waved a hand. “You here for school supplies?”

“Yessir.”

“Half off everything for Destina Tasin. Same everywhere else until the weekend.”

“Everything is a mountain”

RAE
            @rae

@whalekeeper

Nar

Nar resembled a little child, with wide, curious eyes. She lightly poked things with one finger, as if she thought they would break, wondering at the strange textures of the place. She opened a brand new notebook, hearing a crack from it’s spine. She held it away from her in surprise, looking at Hugo and whispering worriedly, “Did I break it?” she looked at the lined, white cheddar cheese yellow pages. “Oh, dear  I did! It isn’t glowing! And the pages feel weird. Uh…how do you fix it?”

whaley
              @whalekeeper

@rae

Hugo

Hugo gasped, whispering, “You killed it.”

“I’m so sorry!” Nar said.

“I’m joking, you just broke its spine.”

How had the girl gone for a few days without using paper? Had she attended any of the classes?

“Oh, good, it still works.” Nar held it at an arm’s length. “It’s glowing now.”

Before Hugo could grab it, the book glowed a brilliant blue. A form burst out of the pages and cackled in Nar’s face. She stumbled back into Hugo, and the two students fell into a wax display.

“Octavion!” The owner shouted. “Darn poltergeist, leave those kids alone!”

A ghost floated over their heads and crouched on a bookshelf. His stringy hair swayed and twitched like tentacles, and his topaz eyes glittered with pleasure.

“You don’t know what books are, stupid?” he said.

“She knows.” Hugo stood protectively in front of Nar. He hesitated. “You know what they are, right, Nar?”

RAE
                @rae

@whalekeeper

This is very amusing rn

Nar

“Books are the things you read. Notebooks you write in. But I’ve never broken a notebooks spine before.” She shivered. “Do notebooks in this world feel?” She asked, horrified.

RAE
                  @rae

While paper books do still exist, they can be very rare in my galaxy. Most books are either like e-books as we know them or high-tech books that the pages are immediately filled with whatever book you want. You still get the page-flipping expierance, but it’s not the exact same. Notebooks for Nar are basically like Word docs put inside a blank book like the ones you download books into. You can choose to use a holographic keyboard, voice command or a stylus.

Holograms and tablets are ofc an option as well.

So, that’s where all this comes from. She used her notebooks and books from home doing her classes, and assumed everyone else had something similar. Now that she’s actually holding a notebook, she’s a little surprised.

whaley
                    @whalekeeper

@rae

Got it

Hugo

“Not that I know of,” Hugo said.

Octavion hung upside down from the printing press. He pulled the lever, seemingly smashing his head with the platen. It went straight through him like mist. “Everything feels, except me. Don’t kill the books, little lady. They won’t take it kindly… They’ll bury you on land, they will… Icky land.”

The two students grimaced at the ghost’s mutters, and returned to their shelf browsing. Hugo passed Nar the books she needed, and encouraged her to pick out a pen. Some of their classes required physically written homework, as some kids did not know how to use technology, and the school wanted to be fair.

At the counter, the owner checked everything out. He looked down his glasses at Nar. “You can use physical books for a lot of things.”

“Like what?”

“Are you interested in flowers or plants?”

RAE
                      @rae

@whalekeeper

Nar

She shrugged. “I little I guess, but I don’t like them as much as Da. I’m more into nursing. Besides, I do use physical books, all my notes are in one, but not ones like these. Do all people here use these?”

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by RAE.

whaley
                        @whalekeeper

@rae

Hugo

“Very often, they do. Medicines include herbs, yes?” The man held out a flower press. “This works just like printing. You let the medicines dry in this, label ‘em, and put ‘em in your journal for a guide. It’s always good to have the real texture under your fingertips, so you know how to find them even better than you did before.”

whaley
                          @whalekeeper

I don’t know exactly what Nar uses for her nursing, I’m just spitballing here XD

RAE
                            @rae

@whalekeeper

Nar

Nar smiled. “Okay, thank you. A bookmark, is that what you cal it too?”

RAE
                              @rae

What are the thoughts rushing through Hugo’s and the storekeeper’s heads rn? XD

whaley
                                @whalekeeper

@rae

asdfghjkl, that’s what

Hugo

The shopkeeper blinked, and handed Nar the press. “…Uh, I suppose you can use them for that too.”

“Come one, let’s go,” Hugo said. He grabbed her hand before she could be even more confused.

They rushed out into the autumn air, and as the doorbell rang shut behind them, their coats billowed in the breeze.

“You want to return to the school now?” Hugo asked.

Viewing 15 posts - 6,136 through 6,150 (of 6,298 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >