Fairytale Retellings

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fairytale Retellings

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Lydia S.
    @lydia-s
      • Total Posts: 399

@madelyn

I’m doing The Writer’s Conservatory! (It’s a three-year college alternative program that teaches students how to write well and on a deadline, how to publish independently and traditionally, and helps you start a small business) They count the program as a credit in English and a credit in business. 🙂

You’d think with how smart technology is getting the GPSs would work better underground! XD Ohhhh… Very good point… It’d be uncomfortable to dig your way into the ocean.

I never watched that one! When it came to PBS Kids, I was mainly into Wild Kratts, which is also an animal show and included lemurs (along with half a dozen other shows… XD But Wild Kratts is the only one my little siblings still watch).

Keilah H.
      @keilah-h
        • Total Posts: 3874

@madelyn @lydia-s I think those two shows were made by the same person, actually. I used to watch that sort of thing all the time.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Lydia S.
        @lydia-s
          • Total Posts: 399

@keilah-h

Oh, really??? How cool!!!

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 692

Is there a way to retell a fairytale like Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella without adding magic? I try not to include that because I have my own convictions on that stuff. Has anyone ever written a fairytale retelling without magic? Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast are my 2 favorites, which is why I used them as examples. 😉

Koshka
            @koshka
              • Total Posts: 1424

@sarafini

Yes! There are many ways to retell a fairytale without magic. In fact, one of my favorite Cinderella retellings is based in a non-magical fantasy world. Fairytales aren’t about magic, even the slightly out there ones like Goose girl.

Instead of using fairies or other magical people’s you can use real people. You don’t even have to put it in a different world! My sister has read an author who wrote historical fiction based off fairytales.

Stories told this way can even become more powerful than the originals, if done right. Without that ‘otherworldly’ element, the characters sometimes become much more relatable, and therefore more impactful.

I’ve started one, but as my other WIPs gained precedence it’s been set aside.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Koshka.
              • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Koshka.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
              @elishavet-pidyon
                • Total Posts: 1013

@sarafini

Good question! And I’m thrilled to echo @koshka and say ABSOLUTELY!

For example, Jessilyn Stewart Peaslee wrote retellings for both of those stories titles Ella and Finding Beauty in the Beast , both of which didn’t have magic. In fact, Ella is one of my favorite retellings of all time, and I’ve heard it as a recommendation for all teen girls to read because of its view on love, worth, and forgiveness.

There is no fairy godmother, but rather a dress and slippers that belonged to Ella’s mother. The carriage is one that is borrowed by a friend of hers to take her. (She didn’t know about it till he comes walking in the front door. XD Will is awesome.) Instead of magic, there’s an expression of love.

I get not wanting to include magic. I don’t, even in my most fantastic worlds. (Although, admittedly, some of the things that happen are a bit unexplainable… Like firey swords….)

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 692

Thanks guys!

@elishavet-pidyon

Totally agree with this: Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Yes Lord! Please come soon! Also love that song. It’s one of my absolute favorites.

“Like a bride waiting for her groom, we’ll be a church ready for you! Every heart longing for her king we sing! Even so come! Lord Jesus come!” Repeat

Taken from Even So Come by Chris Tomlin

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >