Did any book influence your current WIP?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Did any book influence your current WIP?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ava Blue
    @ava-blue
      • Total Posts: 216

@mineralizedwritings

Oh definitely, and it shows. I have one story that has almost the EXACT same plot as The Hatchet by complete coincidence. I read the book about 6 months after I figured out the plot of my own story and I was just like dangit.. got there a few years late lol

My writing style itself is heavily influenced by a few of my favorite authors. I try to write first-person like Edgar Allan Poe, worldbuild like Jack London, and write dialogue like Oscar Wilde and Lucy Maud Montgomery (odd combo, I know). If I’m feeling energetic I might throw in some Roald Dahl-ish elements ;D

that a northern wind
      would cool my skin
      and fill my lungs again

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2803

@ava-blue

Ah YES!! I love Hatchet!

My teacher read that one to our class in 4th grade. I thought it was amazing at the time (I haven’t read it sense) First person is a great POV to write too!

へびは かっこいい です!

Elishavet Pidyon
        @elishavet-pidyon
          • Total Posts: 1014

@mineralizedwritings

Oh no! I never responded! (A quick warning: if I drop off in the midst of a conversation, I probably thought out a whole reply, and since it was written in my head, I thought I’d written it on here. I usually realize I didn’t, but it may take a while.)

I’ll consider it for later! I’m so burnt out after reading North! Or be eaten, I don’t think I can pick up another book lol, it just twisted my emotions in so many ways 🤣

I totally understand! When we finished with that series we were so full of it that we went on a reading fast for our own sanity. It’s a wonderful series, though, and it’s helped me a lot with my writing.

Lol ok! Just out of curiosity, what grade level would you rate it? I’m pretty sensitive, but I can handle some stuff. One of my friends tried the series with her 5-6 year old son and it was too much for him 😂 but tbh, that’s pretty young.

I’m fairly sensitive too, so I get where you’re coming from. The books are aiming for middle-grade, so like eight to twelve, if I’m not mistaken. Five-six could be rather young.

There are some very dark parts, but nothing graphic. One of the worst parts for us is honestly when Picket sees children being carried away to their doom, and he can’t stop it. (That’s in Ember Rising, in a city of slaves) then there are battles and blood thirsty villains, and even some antagonists that do not care what the “means” is if they get their desired “end”.

They aren’t intended to be “safe”, because the world isn’t safe. There are real dangers and real darkness in it. The point of the books is to illustrate that the darkness can be fought, that evil won’t win in the end, that there is hope. And we can be dangerous to the darkness.

(Of course there are little themes like forgiveness, sacrificial love, loyalty, and all that good stuff. 🙂 )

I think if you had no problem with the intensety of The Chronicles of Narnia, than this shouldn’t be too much worse, but that’s just me.

Actually what I meant about it being darker is that if I include God, I as a author have more liberty to make it dark and horrible for my characters 😂🤣, because there is hope

Ok! That makes sense, and it’s true! XD

With the way my current story is, I question anything dark I add pretty heavily because they don’t have a god to relay on. So something kinda dark become depressing.

I understand, and yeah, without God, things get dark quick. I’d totally include Him! (That sounds really weird, but anyway…)

And just because I’m curious, how would you do that? I mean, in what way does this spiritual layer work into your setting and story? I’m just curious, so if it’s a dreadful spoiler or something don’t worry about answering.

No seriously, I love hearing it. I need more of that in my life lol. Honestly I never hear other teenagers ranting passionately about including God into their stories, I think it’s great!

Good, I’m glad I wasn’t being annoying. 😉 I love hearing it too! If we don’t write for Him, I see no good reason to write at all.

I love that! I think it’s great how you gave me a blurb that makes me wonder about your story, lol when people ask about my story I literally barf the entire plot, the major plot twist, and all the spoilers on them 😂. Lol, I need to stop or I won’t have any surprises left. Great blurb tho.

First off, THANK YOU!

I do the exact same thing. XD especially when I first got on here. Within a few weeks I had practically spilled my three biggest spoilers. (Don’t look too far back into may activity. 😉 ) I’m trying to get better.

It’s really hard for KoS, because it doesn’t seem to follow any normal structure, so the plot is hard to explain without telling everything.

(I really do need to work on beating out the plot. That may will help.)

Ohh KoS sounds really good… I love your choice of names too!

Thank you!!!!

You mentioned battles and glories… what exactly are they fighting for? If that’s something you can’t share I get it lol.

So…. Like I said, the plot is different. They’re fighting against the attacks from the Adversary, as well as initiating war to free people under his control. And fighting against those who obey him… Although they probably don’t think they do obey him.

Basically, ever since the Kingdom was divided by the Rebellion, there’s been constant war… Even if nobody realizes it.

Does that make sense? It’s part of the allegory.

I’m sure you’ll figure it out! XD it sounds great!

Once more, thank you! It’s really encouraging to hear that.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

MineralizedWritings
          @mineralizedwritings

@elishavet-pidyon

And just because I’m curious, how would you do that? I mean, in what way does this spiritual layer work into your setting and story? I’m just curious, so if it’s a dreadful spoiler or something don’t worry about answering.

Ok so… I really don’t know. I want the beauty of nature as God’s creation to play a important role. Tauren has a pet bird, and I think it brings him a lot of joy. If I end up adding a spiritual layer to my story, then I think the MC’s would start of just being kinda lost in their faith. But they generally follow christian values. There is a older character that Tauren really looks up too, but this person basically believes that if there was a God, they wouldn’t be in their current situation. Tauren considers it with caution and understands where he is coming from. Then I think there’s a mailman who runs mail between the entire west who has really been through a lot. However, he’s really strong in his faith. Other people really don’t get it because if he’s been through so much more then they have, why should he believe? Anyways, see what I mean by I tell too much? 🤣

Idk if I’m going to include a lot of this. The biggest theme that I want to come through in my story is friendship, but forgiveness is kinda a second one. Idk what I’m trying to do with the partially non-existent plot, lol I’ll just have to keep praying about it XD

Basically, ever since the Kingdom was divided by the Rebellion, there’s been constant war… Even if nobody realizes it.

Ahh I want to know more!! How does nobody realize it?! If I’m asking for spoilers, just ignore me.

へびは かっこいい です!

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 1379

@mineralizedwritings

I’m quite late but I spotted this topic and found it super interesting, so here I am! 😀 It’s always cool to see how other works of literature influence our own writing.

My current WIP, Where Faith Remains, was influenced in several ways by both To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Les Misérables by Victor Hugo, two of my favorite classics. Both books have influenced my own book in terms of theme, such as how one of the biggest themes in Les Mis, as well as WFR, is love & compassion. Also, redemption, and light vs. dark. Like Mockingbird, WFR deals heavily with the issue of racism, and I took a lot of inspiration from Mockingbird as I strove to tackle this serious issue in a Christian light (since that’s sadly pretty rare in literature today). There are a couple scenes in WFR that are influenced by scenes in Mockingbird, and my book also shares several common themes with that one. And like you, both books – Les Mis especially – taught me to let my story be “dark” when it has to be so things can turn out even brighter and more beautiful in the end!

MineralizedWritings
              @mineralizedwritings

@joy-caroline

Don’t worry about being late!

Sounds like a interesting WIP! I love To kill a mockingbird! I own the book, and used it for a school project. Compassion, Light vs. Dark, love, and redemption? Great themes and I’m sure your WIP will turn out great! 🙂

へびは かっこいい です!

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 1379

@mineralizedwritings

Thank you so much! (To Kill a Mockingbird is amazing, isn’t it?)

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12
                    • Total Posts: 6645

@mineralizedwritings

sooooooo I never got back to ur question on how Keeper Of the Lost Cities inspired me XD XD XD

and honestly it was cuz I didn’t really know the answer tbh….which is kinda crazy….

but I was just like “I just LOVE IT XD” (I started and binged the series this year. Can’t wait till the ninth book this November!!!!!!)

BTW YALL….TOTALLY RECOMMEND UGGGHHH I AM IN LOVE WIT THIS SERIES 😍

Okay anyway, I’m cleaning rn and realized some of how it inspired me lol.

I already mentioned that just reading in general Kinda inspires me, just especially series that I love and adore where I’m just like “Ugh I want to write like this…I want to read my books and others to read them!! I WANT MY CHARACTERS TO BE LIKE THIS!!!” XD XD XD!!

so ya…

That being said…

I must also forewarn my favorite characters are Keefe and Dex…

oh my gosh y’all…..

uuugggghhhhh

KEEFE IS A DREAMBOAT AND MY HEART JUST GOES FOR HIM LIKE….idk if I ever had a book crush like this…like. I’ve had crushed from books and movies but this was like yall XD….and he’s like 16 Ik but still yall….

it was bad…

I still love him and will probs go back to obsessing after I read the next book agai  (I’ve had time to calm down)

After totally binging the series (and it ending on a cliffhanger AGH) I realized just how much Keefe and November have in common….like y’all….

The difference is their personalities. Keefe hides his pain behind like jokes and flirts and such, and November hides his behind sweet smiles and just overall adorableness (so he’s the cinnamon roll…btw Dex in the series is considered the cinnamon roll….and he’s my other favorite so I just have a type yall XD, because I’ve got one character in my second series idea whose just like Keefe and I love him… okay moving on)

Anyway, Keefe (my love) and November (my other love) share so much in common.

Verbally/mentally abusive father, the girl they love is…oh my gosh totally oblivious….they’re totally head over heels for her and she’s just…AGGHH…

difference is in KOTLC she “thinks” she likes another guy uuuggghhhhhh (be glad I didn’t do that to y’all guys XD)

WARNING- UP AHEAD ARE MAAAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE KOTLC SERIES. I am serious, if u plan to read or are reading the series DO NOT READ THIS PART. It will be italicized. And I’ll tell u when it’s done. It will ruin the series. And also spoilers for my series here some too XD but that don’t matter as much XD!

They also both have horrible mothers. though November’s doesn’t make an actual appearance, except through flashbacks, and he doesn’t remember her.

And they both receive a power they DO NOT WANT!!

Both feel like mistakes, that all they do is mess up and will get everyone in a mess. And both run away at the end. (I actually decided to have November run off because of this series)

YOU’RE SAFE NOW XD!!

so ya! Idk if it counts and inspiration but there were some crazy similarities between characters.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12

OH and I loooved the worldbuilding. It could be hard to follow definitely at times, but all the naaaames I was just like HOOW XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

MineralizedWritings
                      @mineralizedwritings

@godlyfantasy12

but I was just like “I just LOVE IT XD” (I started and binged the series this year. Can’t wait till the ninth book this November!!!!!!)

That’s great! It feels awesome to find that series you just can’t put down!

I already mentioned that just reading in general Kinda inspires me, just especially series that I love and adore where I’m just like “Ugh I want to write like this…I want to read my books and others to read them!! I WANT MY CHARACTERS TO BE LIKE THIS!!!” XD XD XD!!

I really get that! I wanted to write a story that was clean, had high emotion with actual weight, and good art! (We’ll see how the ‘good art’ part goes, I’m finding graphic novels have a lot of angles I’ve never drawn before 😑)

oh my gosh y’all…..

uuugggghhhhh

KEEFE IS A DREAMBOAT AND MY HEART JUST GOES FOR HIM LIKE….idk if I ever had a book crush like this…like. I’ve had crushed from books and movies but this was like yall XD….and he’s like 16 Ik but still yall….

it was bad…

Ok, I know how that feels 😂. I have had crushes on book character’s before, and I got so weirded out by It I would take a break from the series until it went away. Lol I thought I was so weird and was mildly concerned about myself. Ig it happens 🤣.

After totally binging the series (and it ending on a cliffhanger AGH) I realized just how much Keefe and November have in common….like y’all….

Yup, same thing happened to me. I was like how did my mc’s become so similar to the mc’s from that book…

The difference is their personalities. Keefe hides his pain behind like jokes and flirts and such, and November hides his behind sweet smiles and just overall adorableness (so he’s the cinnamon roll…btw Dex in the series is considered the cinnamon roll…

Oh that’s so sad and sweet 😭 poor boi!!

.and he’s my other favorite so I just have a type yall XD,

I get you XD

Anyway, Keefe (my love) and November (my other love) share so much in common.

Verbally/mentally abusive father, the girl they love is…oh my gosh totally oblivious….they’re totally head over heels for her and she’s just…AGGHH…

AWWW!! 🥺🥺

difference is in KOTLC she “thinks” she likes another guy uuuggghhhhhh (be glad I didn’t do that to y’all guys XD)

Yes I’m very glad you didn’t do that lol. There’s nothing wrong with it… but it seems very unsatisfying and messy too write.

I read the spoiler section XD I actually like spoilers, I get really stressed reading books, and spoilers help me just sit back and enjoy it without worrying about the character’s I’ve gotten so attached to too much. Is it just me? 🤣 Lol maybe that’s a bit weird. That’s really interesting!

I have a entire plot thing (Yes, correct terminology 🤣) based off of a short story I read (It’s from wingfeather tales. Highly recommend if you want some extra wing-feather stuff. Each short in the book is written by a different author, but they seemed pretty canon.) , which basically had a really emotionally and mentally worn out man who adopts a little girl who really helps him. The guy in my story isn’t as worn out, but yeah he ends up unexpectedly adopting a little girl. She’s kinda the hope for part of the story 🙂

Spoilers from your story aren’t too much of a problem for me… I mean I read some of your spoiler forum out of curiosity XD Your plot is really intriguing, and November seems like such a sweet boi.

OH and I loooved the worldbuilding. It could be hard to follow definitely at times, but all the naaaames I was just like HOOW XD

IKR!! Worldbuilding and names make all the difference. I’m pretty meticulous about names, that’s why some of my Mc’s have no last names… I have to find the perfect one. I love picking names soooo much 😂 here’s my current Mc name list: Tauren Faulker, Lesli Mintz, Keiryn, Maylee (May), and Layson Pembrik. Keiryn still needs a last name.

And November is such a cute name 😆

へびは かっこいい です!

GodlyFantasy12
                        @godlyfantasy12

@mineralizedwriting

AHH thank u so much for ur compliments!!!!!

I was also a bit concerned with how obsessed over Keefe I was

but I was also having waaay to much fun sooooo yea.

(I HAVE A CUP WITH HIS FACE ON IT 😍🤩 XD XD XD)

thx!!! I luv the name November!! I found it while searching names and was just like GASP. Cute, save for later.

and then later came not too long after cuz I knew I wanted it to be a boy who was named November cuz that’s even cuter.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                          #ProtectMarcel
                          #ProtectSeb

MineralizedWritings
                          @mineralizedwritings

@godlyfantasy

AHH thank u so much for ur compliments!!!!!

Yeah!!

(I HAVE A CUP WITH HIS FACE ON IT 😍🤩 XD XD XD)

LOL I would hardly have to confidence to buy something like that and explain it to my parents. I put off buying a manga volume I wanted for soooo long because the cover was PURE CRINGE but I wanted it sooo bad because it had one of my fav backstories in it.

へびは かっこいい です!

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >