Did any book influence your current WIP?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Did any book influence your current WIP?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Koshka
    @koshka
      • Total Posts: 1427

@folith-feolin

Interesting. I have always loved Narnia because of it’s allegories.

But then, If there’s no point to the madness, or book no matter the genre but especially fantasy, I don’t want to read it.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2803

@whalekeeper

My favorite fantasy books are Chronicles of Narnia, Wingfeather Saga, 100 Cupboards, Dawn of Wonder, and an assortment of other stand-alones. I really enjoy that element of family in most of them, and that’s what I want in my stories. As well as the fantastic worlds. And that sense of yearning you get from wondering, is there more out there?

I love the Chronicals of Narnia and the Wingfeather saga! (no spoilers pls, only on book 3) Haven’t heard of the others. I agree! I really like the element of family. I think it is often left out of fiction, especially YA fiction. It’s either bad parents, parents died, or teenager off on there own doing great things. There’s some exceptions, but that’s what i have heard mostly.

Wonderfic is basically a story set in the normal world, but with quirky elements mixed in, so it feels as if anything is possible. I’m thinking Mysterious Benedict Society, The Candymakers, and anything that feels dipped in pastel watercolors, but buttery yellow inside…

Ooh that’s interesting! I didn’t know wonderfic was a thing, but now that you mention it, I think I’ve known of books with that vibe. “Dipped in pastel watercolors but buttery yellow inside” That’s such a mood 😂 I know exactly what you mean.

Does that make sense? XD Like, fantasy is the same, but gold, with dark pink, dark green, and all the darks? *Silently questions my sanity*

Don’t question your sanity! XD Yes, books have colors!

Do you have a favorite Narnia book?

へびは かっこいい です!

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings

@folith-feolin

That’s great that history influenced your writings, there’s so much good stuff to learn about in history. I kinda agree with the Narnia thing, but I have to say, each book was so different from the last. The silver chair was probably the most serious out of all of the ones I read (Also the darkest out of all of the ones I’ve read), It might be my favorite. I really liked “the horse and his boy” But I felt the very ending took away from the excitement and other events of the book. It felt really silly and I would have done a different ending. That being said, I really liked the main plot points of the end (I’m not being specific because idk if you’ve read it).

へびは かっこいい です!

MineralizedWritings
          @mineralizedwritings

@Koshka

Oh no I’ve totally forgotten what the west wilds were 😂 Everything from each book gets so jumbled in my head lol.

へびは かっこいい です!

Elishavet Pidyon
            @elishavet-pidyon
              • Total Posts: 1014

@mineralizedwritings

You should absolutely read it! And yes, EXACTLY. If there isn’t hope for afterward, it makes it feel like the whole plot just isn’t worth it. (Then again, I did enjoy Resistance by Jennifer A. Neilson, but even then, it was a story of a girl learning to hope, not the other way around, even though there were times when she made it clear that no one expected to see a tomorrow.)

If you ever have any questions on Green Ember, I’ll be glad to talk your ear off! 😉

Yes I love that idea! The whole first born being the throne-warden was really interesting to me when I started the series. Having the king take on that role is great, kinda like he has the people’s best interest in mind (unlike a ruthless dictator of sorts 🤣)

Oh, I’m glad you like it, and yes, unlike a ruthless dictator. XD In fact, the king is often called a Shepherd in place of any other title. (And yes, the whole Thronewarden thing captured me too. It’s just so good!)

That’s so cool! Testimonies are great, everyone has been through so many different things. I can imagine that adds a lot of life to any story.

They sure are, and I hope it does. It definitely helps me get inspiration to keep writing!

That’s really interesting. I struggle with finding out how to include a spiritual side to my story. It lacks the depth I want, but I never know exactly how to include it. If I included God or a spiritual layer of sorts, I think I could make my story quite a lot darker without it being depressing. I really like your take on that, that you don’t need to over emphasize it because it speaks for itself.

There are so many different ways to include God in a story! And yes, incorporating a spiritual side, can definitely make things darker, but not necessarily depressing. It is faith in Jesus that gives us any hope at all! From what I understand about your WIP, there are are so many ways you could go, even simply using the mere understanding that your characters will need to rely on God to get through some parts of their life. Whatever you do with it, I’m sure it’ll be amazing, and I can’t wait to see where you take it!

And yes, God is so good. Much of what He does is beyond our understanding, but that’s okay. The closer we draw to Him, the closer He will draw to us, and the more we will understand. The bottom line is that what God does is right. It’s more than natural, it’s good. And yes, it’s profound in itself.

And there I go again expounding on my own words. XD I’m sorry, I repeat myself a lot.

I will stop. XD

No! You made perfect sense

Oh, good. XD

Your WIP sounds really interesting! What’s it about?

Ah, thank you! Ok, so first, which one are you asking about? I have two.

But, since I like to talk, here’s a quick rundown of both. (Although I’m guessing you were asking after KoS)

Heir of Ashes is about three children, Viktor the eldest and only boy, Alyona the middle and oldest girl, and Nadían the youngest. They know they are orphaned refugees from the neighboring country of Eirtan, but of what significance is that? The two countries used to be one, so it’s not like there’s any difference between them and the children around them, right? And anyway, even if there was, who would want to belong to a vanquished land?

But supposing the Lord of all the Earth made you to be more than just a farm boy? What if, to fulfill your purpose you must face your worst fears? And what if, after all these years, The Lord still remembers His promises?

Could there still be hope in the ashes?

And I just wrote that on the spot, but I dare that premise sounds a LOT like WS. XD I’d better be careful with that.

The second, Kingdom of Shadows, is about four young people and their King. It’s a five book series. The main characters are Alwin, Winifrith, William, and Aethelthryth. It’s a story of battles and victories, trials and glories, all in the War of the Ages. From the dark streets of the Serf estates to the blessed house of a faithful knight, the King is reaching for His people. Calling them to walk a little closer. Step a little farther. To find victory beyond hope, and light in the evening time.

And I would say more, but every time I try to sum up this series I end up giving someone a novelette instead of a blurb.

It’s basically a retelling of many testimonies I’ve heard in a fantasy/allegorical world. The thing is, there are so many testimonies out there, and I get so many ideas for my characters, but I only have four MCs! It’s a constant struggle between character development, inspiration, and the story structure. XD

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Koshka
              @koshka

@mineralizedwritings

That’s so sad! But understandable, especially as they don’t have much of an influence on any of the plots, unlike Charn.

Oh, yeah. That happens to me a lot.

MineralizedWritings
                @mineralizedwritings

@elishavet-pidyon

You should absolutely read it!

I’ll consider it for later! I’m so burnt out after reading North! Or be eaten, I don’t think I can pick up another book lol, it just twisted my emotions in so many ways 🤣

If you ever have any questions on Green Ember, I’ll be glad to talk your ear off!

Lol ok! Just out of curiosity, what grade level would you rate it? I’m pretty sensitive, but I can handle some stuff. One of my friends tried the series with her 5-6 year old son and it was too much for him 😂 but tbh, that’s pretty young.

There are so many different ways to include God in a story! And yes, incorporating a spiritual side, can definitely make things darker, but not necessarily depressing.

Actually what I meant about it being darker is that if I include God, I as a author have more liberty to make it dark and horrible for my characters 😂🤣, because there’s hope. With the way my current story is, I question anything dark I add pretty heavily because they don’t have a god to relay on. So something kinda dark become depressing.

Whatever you do with it, I’m sure it’ll be amazing, and I can’t wait to see where you take it!

Aww thanks!

The bottom line is that what God does is right. It’s more than natural, it’s good. And yes, it’s profound in itself.

Couldn’t agree more! 🙂

I will stop. XD

No seriously, I love hearing it. I need more of that in my life lol. Honestly I never hear other teenagers ranting passionately about including God into their stories, I think it’s great!

But supposing the Lord of all the Earth made you to be more than just a farm boy? What if, to fulfill your purpose you must face your worst fears? And what if, after all these years, The Lord still remembers His promises?

I love that! I think it’s great how you gave me a blurb that makes me wonder about your story, lol when people ask about my story I literally barf the entire plot, the major plot twist, and all the spoilers on them 😂. Lol, I need to stop or I won’t have any surprises left. Great blurb tho.

Ohh KoS sounds really good… I love your choice of names too! You mentioned battles and glories… what exactly are they fighting for? If that’s something you can’t share I get it lol.

It’s a constant struggle between character development, inspiration, and the story structure. XD

I’m sure you’ll figure it out! XD it sounds great!

へびは かっこいい です!

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@Koshka

Ok (Yes, it’s a little sad) but tbf I haven’t read the last battle, so if it is from there I wouldn’t know it. I only vaguely remember the order of the dawn treader, because I own it 😂 so I read it more frequently. And of course I remember the order of the lion, the witch and the wardrobe… the rest? Don’t even ask lol.

へびは かっこいい です!

Folith-Feolin
                    @folith-feolin
                      • Total Posts: 310

@freedomwriter76
                      I you want some historical book suggestions

Both The Notorious Benedict, Most dangerous, and Bomb all of which are by Steve Sheinkin  they are all really good books although Most dangerous is the only one to really have a happy ending.

Whaley
                      @whalekeeper
                        • Total Posts: 2635

@mineralizedwritings

I knooow, there are so many protagonists who don’t have good family situations, and it’s just thought of as “normal.” It’s really disappointing, because it’s lazy in both the moral and storytelling departments. NOT that having orphan characters is a bad thing; many of my characters don’t even know their parents. You just need to consider what your story’s theme is, and what’s best.

I’m glad I’m not crazy… 😂 (BuT ArE aNy oF Us ReAlLy sAnE???)

Oh, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, definitely. I had that book virtually memorized at the age of nine. I think The Horse and His Boy is a close second, though.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

MineralizedWritings
                        @mineralizedwritings

@whalekeeper

Yes, I guess me being a writer I am not qualified to judge anyone’s sanity. 😂🤣

へびは かっこいい です!

E. M. Trepke
                          @e-m-trepke
                            • Total Posts: 145

Have any books influenced my WIP? Short answer: yes.

Now for the long answer. I am still in the worldbuilding stage of my WIP (currently writing a collection of legends and history), but it is starting to seem that most fantasy books I have read are now inspiring it. I gain inspiration from history, mythology, obscure books, my subconscious mind (ie. weird dreams that I have), and the Master Story. Also, I’ve been reading more about how Tolkien made Middle Earth, and it has completely inspired me.

Narnia… how can I pick? I loved the adventure of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I loved The Silver Chair (especially Puddleglum), The Horse and His Boy, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Magician’s Nephew… I just get really mad at Shift in the Last Battle. My dreams of going to Narnia were crushed.

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
                            -The Doctor

MineralizedWritings
                            @mineralizedwritings

@e-m-trepke

Now for the long answer. I am still in the worldbuilding stage of my WIP (currently writing a collection of legends and history), but it is starting to seem that most fantasy books I have read are now inspiring it. I gain inspiration from history, mythology, obscure books, my subconscious mind (ie. weird dreams that I have), and the Master Story. Also, I’ve been reading more about how Tolkien made Middle Earth, and it has completely inspired me.

That’s cool! World-building is great 🙂 have you read the Silmarilian? I haven’t, but my sister has. I remember her trying to explain all the elf species and their lore, lol I barely remember all of it it was so complex XD. It was really interesting though.

Narnia… how can I pick? I loved the adventure of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I loved The Silver Chair (especially Puddleglum), The Horse and His Boy, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Magician’s Nephew… I just get really mad at Shift in the Last Battle. My dreams of going to Narnia were crushed.

Yup, those are some of my favorites too. Puddleglum is the best!!

idk who shift is 😳, I haven’t read the last battle. I’m a little scared now… 😅 is this some series-changing character?

へびは かっこいい です!

Koshka
                              @koshka

@e-m-trepke

UGH. Shift is the reason why I only like the second half of The Last Battle, although that is my favorite book of the series.

“The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.”

And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.

To be fair, I did not like that book as a kid, but now… I can’t decide between that one and Horse and His Boy to be my favorite. (I adore strong allegory)

E. M. Trepke
                                @e-m-trepke
                                  • Total Posts: 145

@ mineralizedwriting

I have read about the first half of the Silmarillion, and then had to stop to read books for school. I plan on reading it all through to the end soon.

@koshka

I do really like the Last Battle after, well, the last battle happens. One phrase I remember always is: “Further up and further in.” It’s a little sad about Susan though; I hope she found her way back.

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
                                  -The Doctor

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >