Classic book Suggestions

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Classic book Suggestions

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@emma-flournoy I’ve never read the Screwtape Letters but I’ve always enjoyed C.S. Lewis’ other works, so I’ll give it a go!
      @Emily I’ve never heard of G.A. Henty, but it sounds interesting. Oh, I like Joan of Arc, (not read that book though)
      @jane-maree I’ll definitely have a look at The Three Musketeers

@daughteroftheking
      I’ve read some of H.G. Wells but I definitely need to look into his other stories. I’ve also read not all, but a lot of the Sherlock Holmes stories. I love them 😀
      @catwing I haven’t read the Jungle Book in ages! I’ll have to put that on for a reread.
      Thank you all for your suggestions, I have 35 new books on my list of things to read!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1330

@seekjustice You should look into them. They’re some of my faves.

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 859

@seekjustice. If you like What Katy Did, you really should look up the rest of the series. There are four other books, and they are all so good! If you thought Little Women was good, then maybe you should read Little Men. It is a story following Jo’s life further, when she starts a school for boys. It’s really good.

Catwing
          @catwing
            • Total Posts: 2557

Glad to aid you @seekjustice

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@daeus, I just got the Count of Monte Cristo out from the library and almost fainted at its tremendous size.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

@seekjustice 😛 If you like it as much as I did, you’ll be glad that it lasts so long.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah
                @salome01w4g
                  • Total Posts: 991

@seekjustice with out reading anyone else replies, I’m listing my favorite classic;

a)(this is the best classical on the planet, just sayin’)
                  The Counte Of Monte Cristo <If you read this one be ready to laugh,cry,scream, and be on the edge of your seat the whole time.>

b)David Copperfield

c)Pride and Prejudice

and right now were reading The Three Musketeers and it’s quite enjoyable and humerous

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@emma-flournoy and @Christi-eaton thank you for suggesting Les Miserables. I just finished reading it and I absolutely adored it. It was fantastic. thank you, 😀

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by SeekJustice.

Christine Eaton
                    @christi-eaton
                      • Total Posts: 306

@seekjustice I’m so glad you liked it. It is such a fantastic read. 🙂

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 1352

@SeekJustice YAYYYY! Unabridged? That was a pretty fast read! It took me about three months or more. I’m notoriously slow though. 😛 It’s really a brilliant page-turner though, even with all the historical and social interludes. Which were interesting in their own right as well, even though they kept you from the story longer.
                        SO glad you absolutely adored it. That’s good. That’s how I like it.
                        Did you have a favorite?

( @Ethryndal Observe. A convert. Proof against it being a dictionary.)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                        SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@emma-flournoy I’m pretty sure it was unabridged, and I think it was Julie Rose’s annotated version. It didn’t feel abridged anyway. It felt like it took forever (over three weeks, I think), but I’m a fairly fast reader.
                          Some of the historical or social infodumps were actually quite interesting, like reading about the way the convents were run and the Bastille elephant, some of them I mostly skipped over (like the layout of the Paris sewers).
                          It was very good, so worth my time. I am now officially obsessed with it, and the movie and the musical (though neither of those are quite as good).
                          (@ethryndal , in fairness, it probably has more words than the dictionary. But it is *slightly* more interesting)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by SeekJustice.

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy
                            • Total Posts: 1352

@Seekjustice I haven’t read that particular version, but if it had those info dumps you mentioned, it probably wasn’t abridged. 😉
                            Officially obsessed, I know what that’s like. And the musical yes. I haven’t seen it, but I love lots of the songs.
                            And which movie is that? The 2012 one of the musical? Haven’t seen that either, but know about it. There are lots of regular Les Mis movies too, just based on the book not the musical, and I’ve only seen one but my general impression from reading about others is that none are very great. :/

Do you have a favorite character?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >