Classic book Suggestions

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Classic book Suggestions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

Hey all! I’m in need of some new reading material and I’m wanting to delve deeper into some old classics. So, basically what I’m asking is: what are your favourite classics? What would you suggest I look for?
      I’ll tag a couple of people, but feel free to add your suggestions. @daeus, @that_writer_girl_99 @Kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @jane-maree @dragon-snapper @catwing @Shannon @Emily @daughteroftheking @anyone else!

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by SeekJustice.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by SeekJustice.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@seekjustice

1. The Count of Monte Cristo
        2. A Tale of Two Cities
        3. Ben-Hur, Cry the beloved country, anything by G.K.Chesterton.

If you’ve read the lord of the rings, you should read the Silmarillion too.

Oh, and definitely read crime and punishment! You may like The death of Ivan Ilych as well.

There are more, but those are enough to start with.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Josiah DeGraaf
        @aratrea
          • Total Posts: 717

@seekjustice

Divine Comedy is in a tier unto itself in my book, but be aware that it takes a couple readings to fully get the book. I recommend Anthony Esolen’s translation of the work. After that, my Romantic/Realist triad of novels I like to recommend are Crime & Punishment, Pride & Prejudice, and Frankenstein.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Elizabeth
          @that_writer_girl_99
            • Total Posts: 1819

Um. Here’s the thing. I’m not really into reading classic books–in fact I’m pretty picky about the books I read. I get bored easily, and sitting down to read for long periods of time makes me antsy.

That being said. You’ve probably already read this series, but if you haven’t, the Chronicles of Narnia deserves a look. And I mean the whole series–all seven books. Each book is packed with a new adventure. I grew up reading them, and I love them to death.

I didn’t finish the Count of Monte Cristo (sorry @daeus) but what I did read does warrant a recommendation. It’s a great book. Truly.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Christine Eaton
            @christi-eaton
              • Total Posts: 306

@seekjustice My four favorite classic works are Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables, Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women, Dicken’s Great Expectations, and Jane Austen’s Emma.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@SeekJustice Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, Little Dorrit, and Nicholas Nickleby (though that one is creepy on the villain side even for Dickens). Also Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451, which though not technically a classic, should be one. 😛

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 859

@seekjustice. In my opinion, all of Louisa May Alcotts books are great. There are 4 books in the Little Women Series (a lot of times books 1 and 2 are combined), and I personally like the 2nd and 3rd best. Of her other works, I especially like Eight Cousins. I am of the opinion that Eight Cousins is as good or better than Little Women, even though it isn’t as well known. A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens is really good too. Also, I don’t know if the “What Katy Did” series by Susan Coolidge would be considered great classics, but they were written about the same time as Little Women. I really enjoy them, but depending on what you are used to reading, you might not like them. Just some thoughts. : )

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@SeekJustice Les Miserables by V. Hugo, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, Great Expectations by Dickens, The Ball and the Cross by Chesterton, The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, and several others mentioned already too. You’re going to be drowning in classics. 😀

NC Stokes
                    @daughteroftheking
                      • Total Posts: 1156

*rubs hands together expectantly* Ah, classic books. My favorite. 😀 Let’s see, there’s The Time Machine, The Invisible man, and any other works by H.G. Wells. Seriously fantastic sci-fi. Then there’s the original Sherlock Holmes stories, And Then There Were None (this one is a bit dark, but it’s so great.), the ever-disturbing Animal Farm, any Shakespeare plays, and The Secret garden, which I have not read in a while but remember loving very much.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

NC Stokes
                      @daughteroftheking
                        • Total Posts: 1156

In my enthusiasm, I forgot to tag you @seekjustice

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 1330

@seekjustice I am kind of like Elizabeth in the fact that I don’t read many classics, but some of my favorite ones that I’ve read are Winning His Spurs by G.A. Henty, definitely the Chronicles of Narnia, and I am in the process of reading through a long book called Joan of Arc by Mark Twain. It is long, but so far I am really enjoying it. Hope this helps

Jane Maree
                          @jane-maree
                            • Total Posts: 909

@SeekJustice The Three Musketeers is one that I absolutely loved when I read it several years ago. Other than that, Daeus and Josiah have great lists there.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 3976

@SeekJustice also Mark Twain’s The Prince and the Pauper. Great story. Surprisingly heartwarming for Twain. 😉

Catwing
                              @catwing
                                • Total Posts: 2557

@seekjustice The Cat of Bubastes G.A. Henty (though he does lecture some it is educational if that’s one thing you want.) The Witch of Blackbird Pond was pretty good. The Jungle Book. (On my reading list).
                                My mom said, Where the Red Fern Grows, Call of the Wild, Rin Tin Tin, !0,000 leagues under the sea.
                                Then you go! Now you have as many books as these feathers. *drops feathers on you*

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice
                                  • Total Posts: 3365

@daeus, I currently have the Silmarillion out from my library at the moment, I’m planning to read it soon.
                                  @that_writer_girl_99 No worries, not every is into classics! I have read The Chronicles of Narnia and they are some of my favourite books!

@aratrea
                                  , thanks!

@Christi-eaton
                                  , my mum actually suggested I listen to Les Mis today, so I might get the book out and listen to the musical as well.

@kate-flournoy
                                  I read Fahrenheit 451 last year and it was really good, I liked it a lot!
                                  @Shannon I’ve read Little Women and I think Good wives too, they were together in the same book as part 1 and 2. I read What Katy Did when I was really young, maybe it’s due for a reread!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >