Characteristic Lines

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Characteristic Lines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Lydia S.
    @lydia-s
      • Total Posts: 399

So, I thought it’d be fun to share three of a character’s lines (or however many characters you want to do) that are distinctive to their personalities and could, by themselves, be used to describe your character. Here’s mine:

Character: Catherine Miranda Davis

“The day you come to court me, Rudy Newark, is the day I learn how to use Uncle Joel’s rifle.”

“Twenty one… I’ve already planned what I’d do. The minute he’d drive up in that buggy of his, his ugly face would get a tad uglier, either from what spits out of the end of Uncle’s rifle or from the verbal lashing I’d give him. Thirty…”

“Clara…” She was practically swooning. “How are you still breathing? He’s—”

Ahem… So, those likely don’t make much sense out of context, but I hope they were entertaining. 🙂

I’m going to tag a bunch of people, and, though I might take ages to respond, I promise I will read every single post. 😉

@elfwing
      @joelle-stone @akbaer @nanisnook @faith-q @abigail-m @mkfairygirl @issawriter7 @morgan @gracie-j @nova21 @sparksaraabbott11 @elanor @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @maryg3 @joy-caroline @kathleenramm @iluvhim18 @keilah-h @lewilliams @writerlexi1216 @ariel-f @anyone-who-wants-to @yes-you-reading-this-now

Lydia S.
      @lydia-s
        • Total Posts: 399
        Joelle Stone
        @joelle-stone
          • Total Posts: 57

Ooh, good idea, Lydia!! Uh… *thinks*

Character: Asor, an Arthro of the Lycos clan

“I have a spider’s body, not its brains!”

*is trying to come up with more without letting myself touch my manuscript (I’m avoiding it like COVID masks for a few months XD)*

“What do I do when you all die and I’m left with a crazy assassin? She’ll probably get loose and kill me!”

“No – you don’t understand. I’m too dangerous for any of you – too dangerous for myself.”

Great idea, Lydia!

"Courage is found in unlikely places." -Gildor Inglorion

Anatra
          @anatra23
            • Total Posts: 211

@lydia-s

*rubs hands together evilly* This could be fun…

Also I love those lines XD very funny and very intriguing.

“Ladies, Ladies, please. We all know it’s past your bedtime, and we’re all getting temperamental. We need a leader…”

“Leave me out of this. Your problem”

“Kiara. That’s my name. They’d take you and kill me, and you wanted to know.”

I love Kiara. She’s very straight forward and occasionally sarcastic.

@joelle-stone

I like that. Very dramatic. And hilariously out of context.

Joelle Stone
            @joelle-stone
              • Total Posts: 57

@anatra23,

Ooh, I like her!!!! Kiara sounds like the perfect name… 😉

I like that. Very dramatic. And hilariously out of context

He’s quite the fellow. Poor guy. XD

"Courage is found in unlikely places." -Gildor Inglorion

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h
                • Total Posts: 3875

@Lydia-s Great idea! And I love your character’s lines. I’ll pick Rinzler (a character I made with my brother):

“How fun is that. Bring it on!”

“Hey! You guys there?”

“Nah, they’re occupied.”

Rinzler (also known as Terabyte) is a stubborn, headstrong, wild character. He’s 17, and enjoys racing motorcycles he built himself, as well as listening to techno music and whipping the bad guys’ butts.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Power
                @power
                  • Total Posts: 292

From Braxton Redoak, a red fox.

“Well slap me across the face, and call me a pickle!”

“When in doubt, scream for all your worth.”

“Wouldn’t I make such a handsome corpse?”

From the Black Mongoose a.k.a. Charles Wettoe II

“Sadly I must flee. All the little animals really hate me.”

“I hate Romance! I’d prefer to bite someone.”

“Life is a very perilous journey, many have completed it, but none have lived to tell the tale.”

You will love what you spend time with.

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h
                    • Total Posts: 3875

@power Ha! I love those lines!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Morgan
                    @morgan
                      • Total Posts: 51

From Jem, the oldest of the triplets in my story.

“After all, we’re not snooping if this stuff almost belongs to us.”

“Sneak down the back way.”

“Let’s not jump to conclusions, sis, but we do need to figure out what this is all about.”

Some people fail; others learn what not to try.

GodlyFantasy12
                      @godlyfantasy12
                        • Total Posts: 6645

AGH I LOVE LOVE LOVE ALL OF THESE LINES and honestly they make me envious…I hope I can reach this place someday can share my writings but…alas…rn I don’t have much great dialogue to share because I’ve only got a very very rough first draft on my hands, despite being 19. I feel so far behind compared to some ppl but the outline for draft 2 is going pretty well, tho I’m still at the beginning of Act 2 rn.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                        #ProtectMarcel
                        #ProtectSeb

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 1379

@lydia-s

Such a cool idea!

Character: Arianelli DeVere

“And I’ll forever curse myself that I failed the one that should have been my eleventh.”

“We have to find her, Stacy, at all costs.”

“I sacrifice myself. The blood stains my hands so that it never has to stain yours.”

Arianelli is the leader of the Uprising, the crime ring in Moonlyte Uprising (a fantasy crime novella I’m working on). She’s a wanted criminal and has escaped prison. She isn’t a typical criminal in that she has very complex motivations for what she does.

Scoutillus Finch
                          @scoutfinch180
                            • Total Posts: 413

@joy-caroline Fascinating first lines, this character sounds really interesting!

Jake laughed, his voice hollow, If you can call playing around the galaxy a life, then I have one.

Fabian disappeared behind the wall, “Why d-o you laugh?”

Jake pulled on his metal leg, bending the knee and foot joints. “You talk nonsense. Like my—” Jake cleared his throat, “a-a friend of mine.”

I know that Jake’s actions are a little out of context, so I’ll explain a little:

Jake’s laughing in response to the question, “Don’t you have a life?” and he’s putting a prosthetic leg on. He also is avoiding mentioning his brother because he recently lost him.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Elishavet Pidyon
                            @elishavet-pidyon
                              • Total Posts: 1013

Oh, these are great! What good idea.

@godlyfantasy12
                              I completely understand, most of my best characters don’t have a single word written yet.

From Ruben

“Welcome home, brother. I know it’s not pretty, and you have no idea who I am, but welcome all the same.”

“I’m glad I’m not you. I mean, sometimes I don’t want to be me either, but at least I’m not a king. And don’t you dare die, I don’t want to know what Alyona would do to me.”

For this next quote I’ll add the context. Rubin was just told not to lose hope(only he knows he’s dying).

“I didn’t. You’re still alive, and the Creator is our Shepard. I have hope.”

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Koshka
                              @koshka
                                • Total Posts: 1424

@godlyfantasy12

I don’t even have a first draft written out, so you’re a lot farther than me!

Here are a few lines from Otto Wiskar and Miles Chaser(an old story of mine I’ve been rewriting;

“Vat are zay trying to do? Git us keeled?” Otto spat at trench floor.

“Actually, yes, I believe that is their intention.”

Otto sighed and nestled his rifle tighter under his arm. “Zay just shot zrough my water bucket. Ze sniveling scoundrels. I hate patching vat zing.”

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Koshka
                                @koshka
                                  • Total Posts: 1424

Ugh, attocorect messed with Otto’s accent. Water was vater originally. And those are two characters in the book, not the book itself. Oh well… *Sigh*

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >