Character names, personalities etc !

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Character names, personalities etc !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Allison
    @acancello
      • Total Posts: 838

I was just wondering if anyone else struggles with creating character names and trying to make them life like? I sure do :). I’m going to use this group chat thing (sorry if that’s wrong :D) to share some of my characters and welcome you to share some also!  The we can critique each others and if you have any tips feel free to share them also! So here are some of my favorite characters that I made up…

#1- Shauna Sarah Smith. Shauna is 13 years old with blonde hair blue eyes and loves to read. She can be shy and cautious. She cares deeply for people and is a pretty good leader. When the world is falling apart, she turns so much more bold and brave and friendly.

#2- Jean Walton. Jean is 13 years old and is Shauna’s best friend. Jean is a whirlwind of laughter and love. She has silvery blonde hair and green eyes and loves to talk so much. Shes not afraid to talk to anyone and is very kind to everyone and gets very sad when sad things happen.

#3- Eddie Cooper. Eddie is also 13, but from a different book i’m writing. He has red hair, brown eyes and loves to act tougher than he is. He has a big heart and hates it when people tease him or anyone else. Hes a daredevil and is not afraid to do anything.

Those are it for now, let me know your thoughts and i’m excited to see your characters and tips!

Gwyndalf the Wise
      @gwyndalf-the-wise
        • Total Posts: 404

@acancello

…*guiltily raises hand*….

XD I’m really bad with names. However…since I’m writing fantasy, it doesn’t necessarily have to be realistic…

So, my characters’ names:

Teilo (pronounced like Taylor but without the r) O’Muirynn (insert adoptive last name) (he doesn’t have a middle name for worldbuilding reasons)
        He’s an ex-prince who gets framed. The only way to prove himself innocent is by confronting his fears (with the help of God)…and betraying a friend.

Derek (Insert full, ridiculously long name that I haven’t come up with yet) Derek is his nickname, and the only name he goes by.
        He’s a snarky thief/unwilling gang member with conflicted interests. He’s trying to find a way to help prove his new friend’s innocence…until his boss(es) isn’t happy with that and holds his famous cousin hostage…then threatens to blame the entire operation (framing the friend, plus kidnapping charges) on him.

Evander (insert middle name) (insert same last name as Teilo)
        He’s an apprenticing detective who feels overlooked. He likes to take the lead, is impatient, and doesn’t like to be stepped on (both figuratively and literally XD).

Luca (it’s customary to only have one name in his culture)
        He’s a mischievous child with insatiable curiosity. I’ve been told he resembles a frog… *shrugs* He’s very literal, collects a ridiculous amount of mushrooms, and hates to be alone.

Ingrid (insert middle name) (insert same last name as Evander and Teilo)
        Is character I haven’t figured out entirely. Sooooo…yeah. She’s Evander’s younger sister. She does her best to keep the guys from…doing anything rash.

Zules (Insert full, ridiculously long name that I haven’t come up with)
        She’s Derek’s cousin. Generally, she’s pretty upbeat and tries her best to put on a happy face for others. After being rescued from her kidnappers, she can’t go back to life as normal. She’s angry at her cousin for lying to her and breaking her trust.

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
        (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Esther
        @esther-c
          • Total Posts: 3205

@acancello

Ok!! Here we go! These are the MCs in the Endoxos Trilogy.

Amidala Nadir:

Name meaning: beautiful flower

Amidala is the quietest of the Nadir family. She enjoys being alone and finds joy in expressing herself through art, whether it be painting, sketching, or doodling. She is typically shy, and unlike her older brother, is a complete introvert who tries to avoid crowds of people. Despite that, she is kind and patient with those she meets and sees daily. She claims she’s not brave or courageous, but her best friend Everton tries to tell her otherwise. As she grew up with Everton, she began to like him as more than a friend, but is too scared to tell him. She loves her family and the Lord dearly. She strives to be a good Christian but feels like she’ll never get it right.

(Actually, her struggle has actually changed throughout the story. Right now, she struggles with worry and trusting God when she can’t see His hand working.)

Everton Barlowe: (y’all… he’s kind of awesome. But I can’t tell him that cuz then he’ll get a bigger head than he already has. XDXD)

Name meaning: hardy, brave; boar town

Just like Asher, Everton plans to leave home when he turns eighteen. It takes everything in him not to defy his father. He has a fiery spirit and hates seeing wrongs not getting righted. He can be fiercely loyal and clings onto the things he believes. The one person that convinces him to look for the silver lining in the clouds is Amidala, his best friend and the most beautiful girl he’s ever met. He wants to tell her his feelings about her, but that’s the one and only thing that he’s afraid of doing. He is impulsive and it takes a lot to restrain him from what he’s already determined to do. He tries to cover up his emotions, but Amidala always sees through that. Everton feels like he’s missing something in his life, but doesn’t know what.

If I get the chance, I’ll share more charries later!

And here is what Ami and Ev look like…

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
          @esther-c

Esther
            @esther-c

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12
                • Total Posts: 6645

OOF….

umm if I started speaking of my characters it would take a whole page for one….but if y’all want me to I will??? XD but umm most of y’all know about them. But I know their personality types, names, (except maybe middle names I may add later and parents’ names) and…yea…

if y’all wanna hear all that then….u can? XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                @godlyfantasy12

@esther-c November has that same neon quote (in the top left corner) on his Mood/Aesthetics board!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                  #ProtectMarcel
                  #ProtectSeb

Esther
                  @esther-c

@godlyfantasy12

Since most of us know a lot about your charries already, maybe you can tell us about their character arcs. 🤷🏻‍♀️ XD

November has that same neon quote (in the top left corner) on his Mood/Aesthetics board!!

Cool!!

Whaley
                    @whalekeeper
                      • Total Posts: 2599

Cool! I like how Shauna and Jean are similar in some ways, and yet super different in others.

Some of characters on my mind right now are:

#1 – Anna. A small, delicate girl of eleven years. Her face is encircled by neat brown curls – petals around a chrysanthemum. She wears a thick coat made out of faded squares of cloth. She is quiet and fearful, but can be quite stubborn when it comes to following the rules.

#2 – Clara. The girl on whom a protagonist has a crush on, Clara is a confident girl, dark, with a charming grace and twirl in every step. Her parents are aviators, and she knows how to fix an engine in a pinch.

#3 – Quentinwick. He is a scholarly child (he’s barely ever seen the light of day), and is quiet creative, but doesn’t understand people. After he’s given the gift of candle-seeing, his impulsive emotions come into play.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Whaley.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Whaley
                      @whalekeeper

Oh, I need a name! Anyone have suggestions??

I’m not certain if this character will end up in the story (they might just be canon in my mind XD), but I have a fictional family that might need an addition. Meaning, a baby. Not even sure if I want a boy or a girl, but I feel like if I got the right name, the rest would fall into place. Here are the family members’ names. (Sorry, just first names. Still figuring out the last name.)

Max (father), Lucy (mother), Alfonso, Christopher, Sadie

GodlyFantasy12
                        @godlyfantasy12

@whalekeeper

*cough* BABY BOY *cough*

sorry, sorry, I’m a sucker for boys….particularly baby boys….okay most any boys….

XD XD XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                          #ProtectMarcel
                          #ProtectSeb

Whaley
                          @whalekeeper

@godlyfantasy12

Yeeaaaahh… My thoughts exactly XD

Allison
                            @acancello
                              • Total Posts: 838

@whalekeeper

I struggle a lot with names to! I find what helps is either skimming through books and finding names until I find the perfect one (Thats how I found Shauna, she was from the name of an author of one of my moms books. And after that I found her last name and then I had Shauna!) Another way I find names is to look up baby boy or girl names online because there are hundreds!  I hope these help! Also some boy names could be like, Ryan, Owen, Ocean, Caleb, John, Dave, Peter, Paul, David…

Esther
                              @esther-c

@whalekeeper

Girl name ideas:

Liliana(h), Bethany, Georgia, Ginny, Christiana, Ginger, Sofia, Leanna, Tiffany, Irena (or instead of a)

Boy name ideas:

Roger, Nathaniel, Aiden, Daniel, Wailen (Or it could be spelled Waylen. I’m not entirely sure on the actual spelling. XD), Camden, Kempton (not sure on the spelling of this one either XD), Jacob, Maverick (did not know this was an actual name until I saw someone in my video class with that name. It’s really cool actually. XD)

And I agree with @acancello. You can never go wrong with looking up names or baby name websites. Plus, if you want their name to have a meaning, you can looks up names with that meaning.

Whaley
                                @whalekeeper

@acancello @esther-c

Thank you for the ideas! I like Ocean, Caleb, and Maverick.

Most writers probably don’t give more than a few days’ thought about names… I’ve always been super picky XD I think it’s because I have grapheme-color synesthesia, so whenever I create a character, the name has to be juuuuuust the right colors… or I don’t like it. Writer problems…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >