Character development/character discussions

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Character development/character discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TheShadow
    @theshadow
      • Total Posts: 36

Hello!! (This topic technically already exists but another one couldn’t hurt right?)

This is really to discuss our characters, their general personalities, and how they develop (if any of you want to, of course). Umm, yeah, sorry that this isn’t completely original 😅

TheShadow
      @theshadow

@anyone really

Ok, my WIP’s main villain is the leader of a cult, but I don’t think his plan really makes any sense.

The main villain, Lord Damian, is the leader of the Cult of Typhon, which is a cult his father created and he’s carrying on that legacy. And his plan is to use this cult as a means of power and to take over Terre, the country that has been fairly recently established.

This is where I think it gets kind of weird. His plan is to take his army of cultists to the nobles of Terre, and give them two options: either join him to revolt against the king, or have to fight his army (and most likely be destroyed). And the whole main plot of the book is the main characters going across Terre to the king to tell him of the treachery.
        So this feels like a bit of a stretch that the king isn’t already made aware of the treason, but the reason for that is because Terre is largely uninhabited besides villages/castles here and there. It just feels strange though, because even then wouldn’t the king have already heard about it? And also wouldn’t that not be much of a country if most of it has yet to be explored?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Trailblazer
        @trailblazer
          • Total Posts: 604

@theshadow

Hmm, this isn’t really down my lane. I would tag someone to help answer your question, but I can’t think of who would be the best option right now….

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

The Ducktator
          @theducktator
            • Total Posts: 242

@theshadow

Well, I doubt any of the cultists would have told him. If he had already been to the nobles, then yes, the king would probably know. If he hadn’t, and the group is in the far reaches of unexplored kingdom, then he would likely know that some sort of rebel group existed, but might just dismiss it as rumors, especially if he has no idea how many cultists there are. Another possibility would be if one of the cultists was close to the king, and convinced him the others weren’t a threat, though then you’d have to figure out why he didn’t just assassinate him. Probably a lot of the country would have been explored, but there might be parts at the edge that haven’t, for whatever reason. Or the king might have recently purchased/conquered new land, (think, Lewis and Clark), that hasn’t been explored yet. Those are all my random ideas, hopefully they help!

Ubi est mea anaticula cumminosa?

TheShadow
            @theshadow

@trailblazer

Alright, thanks!

TheShadow
              @theshadow

@theducktator

Those are all really good ideas, I do have a character mention the rumor about a cult, so maybe I’ll go with that idea. Thank you so much!

Whaley
                @whalekeeper
                  • Total Posts: 2635

@theshadow

I really like what Ducky said (can I use that nickname @ducktator ? XD) about having a cultist influence the king within his closer circles. Another idea – since you want to preserve the concept of the land being rich and probably settled and populated – is to create a special communications system, then cut it off somehow before the central royal area hears of it. A far-fetched example would be if the kingdom uses crows to carry messages, but the cultist group has a powerful animal whisperer who cancels any messages within a certain radius. Of course that could seem suspicious, but the source of the problem is still vague, and the cultist advisor idea could buy Damian some time.

Side note: I’m watching a show with a character named Lord Damian… who is a grumpy six-year-old XD Nevertheless, his father is a villain!

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

TheShadow
                  @theshadow

@whalekeeper

I really like what Ducky said (can I use that nickname @ducktator ? XD) about having a cultist influence the king within his closer circles. Another idea – since you want to preserve the concept of the land being rich and probably settled and populated – is to create a special communications system, then cut it off somehow before the central royal area hears of it. A far-fetched example would be if the kingdom uses crows to carry messages, but the cultist group has a powerful animal whisperer who cancels any messages within a certain radius. Of course that could seem suspicious, but the source of the problem is still vague, and the cultist advisor idea could buy Damian some time.

Oh, that communication idea sounds really interesting. Regarding what Ducktator said, maybe the advisor could be a close childhood friend. But maybe he was enticed by the power he would gain by getting rid of the king, and was told to wait until the cult had grown strong enough to defeat the king’s army? Does that make sense? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

Side note: I’m watching a show with a character named Lord Damian… who is a grumpy six-year-old XD Nevertheless, his father is a villain!

Weird coincidence lol!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >