Character Arc chat

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Character Arc chat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Hey, so I was recently inspired by Allison’s recent article delving into Iron Man’s character arc, and it made me curious if any of you have writing positive character arcs before.

And if so, why you did it, how it went, etc. You know, just a chat about character arcs and maybe some tips you’ve learned from your own personal experience.

So anyway, the story I’m writing with my siblings at the moment, we actually were debating on whether or not we should have a positive character arc for our character or negative. Our protagonist is a criminal so either would have worked. Either he’d end up in prison, or dead. But after a bit of talking, we landed on a happy ending, meaning prison.

One of my favorite things about character arcs is having multiple character representing the different competing sides of the character. Showing the dark realities of the life the character is living, and also showing the hopeful reality the character could have if he overcame is greatest weakness or fear.

Honestly there are so many interesting layers and nuances to character arcs that I could rant about for ages, but I’d rather hear your thoughts and opinions.

So have you ever wrote or tried writing character arcs before? How did it go? Are there certain elements or details you like to add to them, or lessons you’ve learned from writing or reading them?

Also if you have any questions about character arcs, or just some random thoughts about character arcs floating around in your head, go ahead reply with them too!

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1379

@kathleenramm

All of my MC character arcs have been positive, hehe. I’m the type of writer who can’t bear to write a negative arc for a MC unless it’s a series and he will get a positive arc by the final installment. I’m more than happy to write negative arcs for any other characters, though. I mean, not happy, but ya know what I mean. 😉

The reason I far prefer writing positive MC arcs is because through my stories, I really want to help people see that no one is too far gone for God’s grace and there is hope and light and redemption in our fallen world. I know that reading negative character arcs definitely doesn’t help to give me that feeling. I don’t know, perhaps there are negative arcs with hope and redemption in the story, but I really have no idea how even the most talented writer could bring that about.

For The Apostle’s Sister, the novel I’m planning out, my MC Temira has a positive character arc that basically goes like this –

Beginning: Temira is a young widowed mother dealing with trauma and loneliness, and she’s very immature. She seems more like a girl than a woman, really. She doesn’t have any compassion or empathy for others, and she has a hard and cold exterior. She’s not exactly likeable in the first several scenes, lol, but I do convince readers to stay with her by revealing the cruelty that has made her that way, the betrayals she’s suffered, and her fierce devotion to her son.

Midpoint: When Paul comes, Temira is unkind to him (though understandably so). However, she still has a soft place in her heart towards him, which I subtly show the reader mostly through her thoughts. (One of her personality traits is that she continues to have a longing love and loyalty for those who have hurt her, even if she pretends not to care for them.) When he shows her through sacrificial action that he’s changed, she softens even further and he’s able to reach her. Finally, she lets the walls come down, forgives him, and we have a conversion! Yay! But she’s far from completely transformed.

Climax: Temira’s stubbornness, lack of compassion/empathy, and tendency to put up walls are all waging intense war on her at this point. She accepted Christ as Savior, but the initial joy is sadly short-lived since she’s all too quickly thrown into the reality of being an apostle’s sister and what it means for her life. She intensely hates Paul’s enemies and the enemies of Christianity, and she fails to understand that beneath unbelief and cruelty is a world of pain (just like it once was for her), and everyone has a story. She starts to see people as merely mindless oppressors, and so gets the idea that the world is all cruelty, especially for God’s children. And that’s not all – she and Paul begin to come apart. That’s because she didn’t realize he would be the one to hurt her most of all, not those she’s labeled enemies. She lives in denial and pretty much flatly refuses to empathize with Paul over his painful past of persecuting the church. As more about his past is revealed, she almost starts to have a revulsion for him and begins to question everything about who she believed him to be and about their faith. Yeah, it’s a huge mess. XD Maybe even a bigger one than we started her story with.

Resolution: When someone very close to them renounces the faith, Temira and Paul come to a climax with their arguments about his past and Christianity’s oppression, and their relationship almost completely splits. Temira can’t reconcile Jesus’ love and mercy with the oppression Paul receives and with the trauma he suffers, so she faces even deeper questions about the faith. There is a serious of catastrophic events in the climax (spoiler: there’s some death here), and it’s up to Temira to be strong and hold things up before they all collapse. Since she’s forced to take action, she comes to critical realizations, and she is able to come to her peace and help Paul find his own. Bang. (Sorry I was so vague with this part lol, but spoilers, ya know.)

This was a rather long answer, but great questions deserve long answers. 😉 Congrats if ya reached all the way down here!

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Positive character arc…what’s that…

I used to not think about character arcs but hey, now I kind of do.

I know I have some planned but the only one I can think off of the top of my head that I’ve actually written is Rainan Streamgate’s negative character arc. Which, honestly, turned into a farmer/shepherd story more than I thought it was gonna be at the beginning.

But positive characters arcs… Hmmm…

Yes, for The Mafia of Heather Flights I’m planning on having positive character arcs for both of my brothers, with one turning himself in and the other accepting grace and forgiveness. Which, I now realise, is a pretty good parallel. Huzzah, subconscious pantser brain. Intertwined with those are going to be two negative character arcs of two other characters, one consumed by jealousy and the other by hate and resentment. It’s going to be a fun book. Now if only my words could stop feeling so awkward. (Maybe I should practice first person peripheral a bit more before diving further in…)

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Elfwing
          @elfwing
            • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

I have unwittingly written many XD. I admit I automatically do that with characters. Maybe too much. I have two favorites.

The main antagonist, who I mentioned in the topic of the week, is the one I’m currently doing. I debating a few endings… but I decided on a positive character arc instead of him staying locked up in the far country away from everyone and remaining the Hand of the Black Terror. After a few decades, he comes back and asks for forgiveness. While he’s greeted with hostility, he’s determined to help as much as he can. The woman he loved still loves him and she’s been waiting for over two hundred years, hoping for his redemption. When he returns, she’s among the first to forgive him, even though she doesn’t completely trust him.

I found that even though I wanted everyone to forgive him, it’s a bad idea. But having one person who will always stick up for the person going through the character arc is really good; someone who supports them, even if they fail, and will push them on and encourage or criticize when needed. They snap them out of their pity-party or rejoices with their victories. Make sure this character doesn’t baby them too much and cosset them with every mistake, though, especially if it’s a male villain with a female friend. That will make him seem to be dependant on her and he’ll look weak.

My other character arc (hehehe personal top favorite) is a dragon-morpher prince who has lived isolated in a fortress for all 19 years of his life. He’s petulant, bratty, has frequent rages where he almost destroys his home on a weekly basis. his servant puts up with it very patiently. He loves his master to the point of blind devotion. Then this sarcastic, sassy, and militant-minded 16 yr old girl shows up out of the blue, along with a very sick young man who is in enough pain that he’s half-mad.

After a month of the prince keeping hidden, the girl gets fed up and calls him a coward because he hides and won’t let her see his face. (not my preferred tactic, but she’s not me, soooo) He gets angry and when she goes to walk away he follows her and finally she sees his face. She’s blunt and tells him he’s got a bad temper, but that he’s not an ugly monster, and he’s rather shocked by that. She doesn’t put up with his nonsense when he’s being unreasonable, but she is rather stubborn and unreasonable herself so they both learn together how to be more patient and understanding. They prejudge each other, but as the year passes they become less volatile and learn how to enjoy each other’s company as friends and equals. By the time they leave the castle, he is willing to be helpful, even though he’s a little clueless on practical things like cooking or cleaning, he’s got his heart in the right place. My mental outline is for his arc to continue and by the end of the story (*cough, series) he is willing to sacrifice his life to save the girl, who is about to die in a very painful way because of an injury he holds himself responsible for. he becomes a good king of his people.

The girl’s fate— well, if I ever get the book published you’ll find out… hehehehe

Aaaanyways. that’s me attempting a summary. Hope it makes sense lol

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm
              • Total Posts: 635

@joy-caroline

That sounds like a beautiful story! I love stories that explore themes and struggles but always have a light of hope from God. Those are the most impactful and memorable stories for me.

How did you get the idea for the story?

@devastate-lasting

Those parallels inThe Mafia of Heather Flights sound so interesting. I watched one show that did reflective character arcs really well with two friends. The main character starting evil then becoming the hero, and his best friend who was kind in the beginning, turned into the villain.

Ever since I’ve wanted to write reflective character arcs in a story.

Oh, and how does a story accidently become more of a farmer/shepherd story? I’ve had stories accidently end up as a mystery or arguably horror, but never a farmer/shepherd, haha.

@elfwing

Your villain’s character arc sounds really interesting. I also really like when there is a character that is like a pillar of hope that helps the character climb out of the darkness.

Like the character that sort of represents the angel on your shoulder. XD

Are those two characters, the prince and the villain with the arcs, in the same story?

Elfwing
              @elfwing

@kathleenramm

thank you!

i do like those kinds of characters as well. After all, no one is perfect.

In this case it’s the villain’s fiancé/soon-to-be wife who  defends him and yet criticize him. She loves him fiercely and the two are rather a funny pair, but it works XD. She’s got a quick temper and trust issues but once you have her trust, woe betide any who confront you. She cares deeply for people but struggles with showing gentle love that the orphans she cares for need. She’s a healer but emotional needs are hard for her to understand.

He is  steady and quiet and a great confidant, and loves children, especially little girls. But when he’s angered it can quickly turn to blind rage, and in that case he’s terrifying and cruel, but still won’t hurt the people he loves. Anyone else is not to be concerned with and so he seems heartless at times.

To answer the question. Yes. The main antagonist/villain shows up in the first book of my first series, then he’s  locked up in a far country, still bitter and evil. Then about two decades later he shows up again later in the sequel series, no longer wanting to be evil. He is in the story at the same time as the prince at this time, and they actually cross paths at one point and journey together for a little.

Hope that makes sense

sorry, I’m not good at short answers XD

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting

@kathleenramm Ah, farmer/shepherd meaning Cain and Abel, haha… I didn’t realise I was writing a retelling of the first murder until I was almost done. So…

Yes, reflective character arcs are so good with foils and things… Those always strengthen themes the best, I think.

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h
                    • Total Posts: 3875

I’m pretty sure almost all my arcs are positive ones. (I’m the person who writes a redemption arc, albeit a pretty badly done one, for the villain of my favorite movie.) Most of my stories aren’t meant to be published (they’re mostly fanfictions anyway) but I try to give most of my characters a chance to either have a happy ending if they’re good guys or see the light if they’re bad.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h

@devastate-lasting It’s okay to retell Biblical stories in a different way, like fantasy or sci-fi or in a different historical time period. I’ve never done it, but I’ve inserted characters as “eyewitnesses” for biblical events such as the Flood, the Crucifixion/Resurrection, multiple events in the book of Acts, and that kind of thing.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting

@keilah-h Of course! One of my favorite books, East of Eden, is a retelling of Cain and Abel, and I love it to pieces. Your methods sound so cool! What stories do you usually choose?

Elfwing
                        @elfwing

@keilah-h

sounds cool! Good for you! I have never succeeded at fan fics, but everyone is different and I appreciate writers who can take a character and make their own fan fic and it turn out really cool. From what you’ve described here and other topics, I’d say you must have lots of fun doing them! Keep it up! 🙂

I must admit… I love doing positive arcs, but happy endings… not for all. Grief and happiness mixed. Wars have always fascinated me (and saddened, don’t get me wrong). Subsequently, all of my stories (all fantasy, btw) are centered on wars and the destruction that comes through evil and selfishness, but then seeing the future given by the brave who died for their land and the hope and positive character arcs that can happen by characters seeing what others were willing to give to keep their people safe.

Keilah H.
                          @keilah-h

@elfwing I’ve done war stories too, sometimes. But about fanfictions, I actually find them easier than regular stories because I have readymade characters, and if I want to add more I have “templates.”

Elfwing
                            @elfwing

@keilah-h

Ahh ok. that sounds fun! what movies/books have you done fan fics on?

You know… the ready-made part is probably what makes it hard for me; I love making new things, and trying to replicate artistic works (except accents and voices) really doesn’t work for me, be it characters or drawings and paintings.

Elfwing
                              @elfwing

@keilah-h

don’t get me wrong, I think it’s really cool you do those!

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h

@elfwing Star Wars, Tron, Marvel, the Warriors and Wings of Fire book series….and more I don’t remember. Often I combine two different fandoms.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >