Character Adventure (Formerly Character Party)

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Character Adventure (Formerly Character Party)

Tagged:Ā 

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 377 total)
  • Author
    TheArcaneAxiom
    @thearcaneaxiom
      • Total Posts: 1251

@keilah-h

Well Iā€™m sort of referencing the first character you mentioned, but Iā€™m also speaking broadly. Thereā€™s plenty of stories where people root for the villain, despite them not being redeemable.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Keilah H.
      @keilah-h
        • Total Posts: 3875

@thearcaneaxiom yeah, there are plenty of fandoms where something like that happens.

The first character I referred to was a kind of antihero, so heā€™s not a villain in the truest sense of the word, but I suppose the same rules can apply either way.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

PrincesaChronicle22
        @princesachronicle22
          • Total Posts: 759

@keilah-h @thearcaneaxiom

Half of these references wonā€™t be recognized but I do happen to have a list of villainā€™s I root for

-Jacks from Caraval

-Darth Vadar/Anakin from Star Wars

-Loki from Marvel

-Kylo Ren also Star Wars

-Katherine from Heartless

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails. -1 Corinthians
          And guess what? His is eternal (:

TheArcaneAxiom
          @thearcaneaxiom

@keilah-h

True, anti-heros are separate from villains. The mere fact that he can be considered an anti-hero can push him over to likeable, though not always.

@princesachronicle22

Yeah, some of these villains you can root for for different reasons. Some are sympathetic with sad backgrounds, others and just intriguing.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Keilah H.
            @keilah-h

@princesachronicle22 yep.

Although Vader and Kylo are two halves of the same coin tbh

then thereā€™s Loki, whoā€™s all over the place (technically he was kinda redeemed though? so does he still count?)

and I donā€™t exactly know the others, but I can tell theyā€™re probably something like the ones I do know

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h

@thearcaneaxiom yeah, I think thatā€™s probably why heā€™s in the category of ā€œNot really a good guy, and not a guy Iā€™d go and talk to alone, but not horrible either, and someone I might interact with if I knew I was safe from whatever he might doā€ whereas the other guy I was talking aboutā€¦ā€¦*shudders*

Cloaked Mystery
                @jonas
                  • Total Posts: 2624

@thearcaneaxiom

Yeah, I think itā€™s important to remember that itā€™s never bad for a villain to be non sympathetic, itā€™s just all in the execution.

I would also say that it depends on the villainā€™s role. Sometimes you need a sympathetic villain for the story to work. But yeah, in and of themselves, a non-sympathetic villain isnā€™t a bad thing.

(Iā€™m not sure if your following this Jonas, but you should go watch itšŸ˜‚)

Maybe Iā€™ll have a chance in the coming year, after I graduate high school.

@princesachronicle22

we know what heĀ wantedĀ but did we really knowĀ whyĀ he wanted it?

I would say thatā€™s the mark of an unsympathetic villain. Their reason for wanting something isnā€™t really relevant. If you knowĀ whyĀ a villain wants something, you understand them more and it automatically makes them more sympathetic. (Although they can still be pretty unsympathetic even then.)

Are they evil because of what has been doneĀ too them?Ā Or are they evil because of what theyĀ like to do to other people?

Thatā€™s another mark of sympathetic vs. unsympathetic villains. I would, however, say that the ā€œevil because of what has been done to themā€ can easily lead to saying ā€œsomething was done to them, so itā€™s not their fault that theyā€™re evil.ā€ Thatā€™s never true. A villain always chooses to do evil, even if an outside force pushes them in that direction. I think the best villains are ones where we see that they clearly chose evil, but we also see whyĀ they chose it. Something that happened to them canĀ indirectlyĀ be the cause of their evil, but notĀ directly.

@keilah-h

Although Vader and Kylo are two halves of the same coin tbh

How so? Iā€™ll admit itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve watched Star Wars 7 and 8 (and I probably wonā€™t again) and I never watched 9, but from my memory, Kylo is basically just evil because he thinks heā€™s continuing Vaderā€™s legacy.

This is a very insightful (and off topic) conversation lol. Maybe we should create a new thread. (There probably is one already, actually.)

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                  āœØ Magic System Creator
                  šŸŽ­ Character RPer
                  šŸ“š Appreciator of Books

PrincesaChronicle22
                  @princesachronicle22
                    • Total Posts: 759

@jonas

This is a very insightful (and off topic) conversation lol. Maybe we should create a new thread. (There probably is one already, actually.)

Yeah šŸ˜‚

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails. -1 Corinthians
                    And guess what? His is eternal (:

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

I would also say that it depends on the villainā€™s role. Sometimes you need a sympathetic villain for the story to work. But yeah, in and of themselves, a non-sympathetic villain isnā€™t a bad thing.

True, of course ignoring the fact that a non-sympathetic villain by definition, is badšŸ˜‚ (Someone was bound to do this, so I thought it might as well be me)

Maybe Iā€™ll have a chance in the coming year, after I graduate high school.

I just had an idea! Do you have discord? What if we streamed it on there?

Yeah, thereā€™s a few, I could find one and we can revive it, or we can make a new one.

Cloaked Mystery
                      @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

I just had an idea! Do you have discord? What if we streamed it on there?

Yeah, I do have discord. I donā€™t use it very much but I have it. You can stream things on discord?

Yeah, thereā€™s a few, I could find one and we can revive it, or we can make a new one.

Sure. Probably better to reuse an old one, but it doesnā€™t matter too much.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                        āœØ Magic System Creator
                        šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
                        @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Yeah, I do have discord. I donā€™t use it very much but I have it. You can stream things on discord?

Yeah! I donā€™t know why I havenā€™t thought of it before. Although, the question is whether it will stream well, but Iā€™d say itā€™s worth a shot if youā€™re up for it!

Cloaked Mystery
                          @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

So, how exactly does discordā€™s streaming work? Iā€™m honestly not sure if I would have time at this point. Iā€™ve been pretty busy with school (which is why I havenā€™t been on KP much lately) and on top of that, Iā€™m also training for my karate black belt test, which has been pretty time consuming. Things will probably be changing a lot for me in the coming months, though, so Iā€™ll just have to see how much time I have as I go.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                            āœØ Magic System Creator
                            šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
                            @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

All you do is get on voice chat, then share your screen for the most part. Iā€™ll be busy too. I have work most days now, though only in the first half of the day, and Iā€™ll be serving a mission not long from now. Thatā€™s awesome that your doing karate!

Maybe we could figure something out in the near future, but I donā€™t know. Iā€™ll just say the offer is there then.

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

šŸ‘

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                                āœØ Magic System Creator
                                šŸŽ­ Character RPer

RAE
                                @rae
                                  • Total Posts: 3015

for the sake of refreshing memory, iā€™m reposting this from the Character Part RP (Note: I have italized what I have changed):

Milk-skinned are her people, with pastel eyes that can tell no lies. Sweet are her flowers, that adorn the land all the year round. Tis a tropical place, with winter rainy but ever blooming. Tis a peaceful place, with never the sound of war a-booming. Hearken people! Do you not here the sound of the birds with sweet songs that ripple through their throats like the waters of laughing brooks? Hearken people! Do you not hear the cry of the fawn? New life is born in the forest.

Lillenā€™s cities are made of magic. Her great Queen sees to the land. Her great King sees to the people. Her people gather fruits from the forest, they carve their necessities out of wood. They draw water from streams. They take from nature, but never more than their do share.

But under the sky of fantasy light pink, white blood has now been spilled. Under watch of bright white sun, of pale blue moon, and twinkling star, the forest is torn and scarred. Fire burns. Water dries. Plants die. Creatures flee. Lillennings are murdered. But those pastel eyes, though filled with the opaque blue liquid that flows down their pinked cheeks, can do nothing. How many of the bravest have already perished? They are not trained in war. How long will the Gilgannings and DragonsĀ rampage their land unhindered?

Will pastel colors turn black? Will opaque liquid turn dark? Will fruits of bright color, shaded by those sweet green leaves, strival and die? Will those white tan-spotted deer leave forever? Will the birds never again open their beaks?

The people the Queen calls are their only hope.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 377 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >