Campfire Write (and other writing resources)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Campfire Write (and other writing resources)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Folith-Feolin
    @folith-feolin
      • Total Posts: 310

@theloonyone @godlyfantasy12 @mineralizedwritings

I sadly have not had a lot of time but happen to have a short break right now. I would suggest fantasy calendars. I basically lets you create a fantasy calendar with events it can be helpful for tracking when events happen over a period of time or if you want to make you world not use the Gregorian Calendar.

TheLoonyOne
      @theloonyone
        • Total Posts: 404

@folith-feolin I’ll have to try that one out! It won’t be helpful right now because what I’m writing has our same calendar but it’ll be fun to use once I’m finished and move on to a different project. Or I could just mess around on it for fun! 🤣

TheLoonyOne
        @theloonyone

@folith-feolin @loopylin @mineralizedwritings @godlyfantasy12

Oh, I remembered another one that I haven’t used in a long time. It’s called Inkarnate and you can create fantasy maps with it. You can do a lot on the free version, too.

Also just realized that fantasy calendars can be used as a timeline too, so I might try it out sooner.

Folith-Feolin
          @folith-feolin
            • Total Posts: 310

I love Inkarnate

TheLoonyOne
            @theloonyone

@loopylin @folith-feolin @mineralizedwritings @godlyfantasy12

I’ve got two more! Both, however, are paid, so they’re probably best only if you’re really serious. I haven’t actually used either of these, I just like to share them with my fellow writers in case they want to try it for the extra help.

The first is One Stop For Writers. It has a thesaurus, world-building surveys, character builders, and story and scene maps. This one also has a two-week free trial to try it out.

The second is Plottr. It’s in the name, it helps with plotting. It has timelines, outlines, notes, characters, and places. It’s pretty similar to Campfire write.

Both of these have some similarities with Campfire (which I prefer) and Notion (I remembered my friend recommended this to me as a scheduling app 🤣) but aren’t free or mostly free, so I’m not sure if they’re the best choices, but I’m putting them out there.

MineralizedWritings
              @mineralizedwritings
                • Total Posts: 2803

@theloonyone @folith-feolin @loopylin @anyone!

Cool! I used campfire write for awhile, and might use it more later, but in-putting all the character info I already had (semi) organized in my writing book was a lot of work and I figured I already had it all in one place to begin with.

If you don’t mind, I’m going to put here what I’m currently doing to organize, it’s working okay so far!

So I have a writing folder on my laptop, it has a folder for my current WIP, and then three folders, labels phase 1, 2, and 3. Because well, I have really early writing with a totally different plot before it changed, and I wanted to keep it separate from the current stuff.

Then I have my sketchbook (it’s a big one with fairly cheap paper) It’s not totally organized, but I have a page for the MC’s, and whenever I get a idea related to them, I put it down even if I don’t think it’s amazing.

I also put quotes for the character’s on those pages if I come up with one.

While I was still figuring out the beginning I had a page with, “What kicks of the plot?” at the top, and I put complicating incident ideas here. I have a page for themes if I ever feel like my story isn’t portraying the message I want, I can come back for a reminder.

I also have a page to brainstorm ideas for an ending.

I have a page kinda like a map, with a short timeline and a map of Layson’s journey. It’s not finished and as things change I will need to revise it.

I had a outline for chapter one with a description of the scenes I wanted, but lol I’m not going to do that all the time. I just was unsure how to get started and that really helped. I also have a page where I put names I like.

I also have a book a friend gave to me called ,”The imaginary world of —–(your name here)” by Keri Smith. It’s for general worldbuilding for fun, nothing too complicated. I really like it, but my story is growing out of it a bit so I don’t write in it a lot. However it has some great prompts. My story wouldn’t have ended up with it’s own currency if not for the prompt of making up a currency.

I really like keeping all my ideas on paper like this because you never lose it, and later you can look back and see how much the story has changed, and also sample some old ideas if you run out of inspiration.

Also, not all the pages are neat 😂 any organization method starts to look messy if it’s used frequently.

I also have a page at the end with vague ideas for a future WIP, but I don’t work on any of them at the moment. Like it’s literally an idea, a title, and just that 😂 I’m trying not to get sidetracked because I would hate to not finish my current WIP.

へびは かっこいい です!

TheLoonyOne
                @theloonyone

@mineralizedwritings

I really like keeping all my ideas on paper like this because you never lose it, and later you can look back and see how much the story has changed, and also sample some old ideas if you run out of inspiration.

Oh yeah, that is always fun! I’ve also kept most of my many many unfinished writing projects from years ago. Those are fun to look at! 😅

Seems like you’ve got a pretty good organization setup for your WIP, though.

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings
                    • Total Posts: 2803

@theloonyone

Yeah!

Old writing 😳 oh dear.

One of my oldest writings is a cinderella retelling which I believe was just me taking the opportunity to write myself being better than my sister… I mean it isn’t like I named a stepsister after her… but it had some kind of mental connection 🤣

Not my proudest moment

へびは かっこいい です!

TheLoonyOne
                    @theloonyone

@mineralizedwritings

One of my oldest writings is a cinderella retelling which I believe was just me taking the opportunity to write myself being better than my sister… I mean it isn’t like I named a stepsister after her… but it had some kind of mental connection 🤣

Lol, yeah, I’ve done things like that 😂🤣

I’ve written some very strange things in my life

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >