Book Topic Updates

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Book Topic Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Queen_of_Alvastia
    @queen_of_alvastia
      • Total Posts: 612

@freedomwriter76

Okie dokie! Hereā€™s the writing topic which I have finally added.

Where are you in your WIP?

Iā€™m about halfway in my story. I canā€™t remember how much I told you about what is going onā€¦.

šŸ„°#TorrynVelgardProtectionSquadšŸ„°

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 8156

@queen_of_alvastia. Uhā€¦lemme look. Only 20 pages in. šŸ˜‚ Ohā€¦this story is so far from being finished. šŸ˜”

Queen_of_Alvastia
        @queen_of_alvastia

@freedomwriter76 Hey that is still a good start!! šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ˜Š

Anonymous

@queen_of_alvastia. True. šŸ˜‚ Thank you, girl! šŸ™‚Ā You are so sweet. šŸ’–

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12
              • Total Posts: 6645

@queen-of-alvastia

Iā€™m 5,460 words in šŸ˜­ @freedomwriter76 ur waaaay farther then meeee

Iā€™ve scrapped sooo many drafts itā€™s not even funny but Ik Iā€™m growing each time soā€¦but Iā€™m determined to finish this one.

Ā 

still I just canā€™t find the motivation to write rnā€¦ā€¦idk if itā€™s a bit of writers block or just lack of motivationā€¦.

I mean Iā€™ve got a bit of a ā€œtimeline outlineā€ itā€™s kinda vague but I at least know sorta where the story goes but Iā€™m also pantsing itā€™s so its a bit of a struggle and idk what to doā€¦.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Anonymous

@godlyfantasy12. Iā€™ve scrapped so many drafts too. I get you, girl. ā¤ļø

Writingā€™s hard. Itā€™s not the easy, sit at your desk and just have all the words come to you and calmly sip tea job everyone seems to think it is. Itā€™s a struggle every day. I know, girl, trust me, I know. šŸ™‚

But if you really donā€™t have motivation or you have writerā€™s block right now, donā€™t push yourself too hard. I did that, and I pushed myself to writer burnout. I literally cried over it. I hated all my writing, I was angry that my book wasnā€™t coming along, I was looking at my writing and asking myself: ā€œWho in the world would ever read thisĀ TRASH!?ā€ Soā€¦I took a step back. I stopped writing for a little while, and now, when I write, I remind myself that this is only the first draft. I still have plenty of time. And, most important, I remind myself that the story Iā€™m trying to tell truly isnā€™t mine. Itā€™s Godā€™s. šŸ˜Š

If you need to, take a break. We canā€™t go 100% all the time, as one of my favorite streamers posted a reminder video this morning said, because we are not robots. šŸ˜Š If you need a break, take one. If you need to step back, Step. Back.Ā Pray about your book, too, when you really donā€™t know what to do with it. Let God have it. He knows everything way better than we do. šŸ™‚

Keep going, Girl. You are doing wonderfully. šŸ„° I love your characters, I love your story, I love your plot twists(you certainly threw me for a spin!), and most of all, I love how passionate you are aboutĀ your story and characters. Keep going, girl, and donā€™t you ever give up. šŸ‘ā¤ļø

Queen_of_Alvastia
                @queen_of_alvastia

@godlyfantasy12 šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ˜ŠšŸ„° What is your WIP about? Iā€™d love to hear if you wanted to share!

@freedomwriter76 That advice is SO SPOT-ON! Love it!! šŸ™‚

Anonymous

@queen_of_alvastia. Thank you! I try! šŸ™‚

Ava Blue
                    @ava-blue
                      • Total Posts: 216

One paragraph along, over here! Here is the paragraph:

Thereā€™s Old Gimp. Heā€™s straddling the skyline, bony antlers scraping winter-worn sod. A small harem of cows meander on the hillside below him, feeding on straggly grass. I just need him to come down from that saddle. The fallen leaves on which Iā€™ve been lying prone for the last half hour are beginning to soak into my pants, and my thighs and feet are numb from cold. My legs will probably be buzzing when I get up again. Musings of a cozy nap by the fireplace have occupied my head since I woke up to a wet tent at four this morning. Miseryā€™s half the fun, I remind myself. And itā€™ll all be worth it when I take this bull. If I take this bull. If I only I could get a backdrop behind der verflixte Elche. Heā€™s still browsing, his furry back dark against an overcast sky. He ambles forward to nose a tuft of grass. Just a little closer. Limp on down the hill. Thereā€™s plenty of appetizing forbs down here. I pull my gloves away and blow on my cold fingers, not letting my eyes leave Old Gimp. Tedious minutes elapse as I bide my time in the bush, nursing frozen hands and waiting for a good shot. Then, like an answered prayer, he mosies my way with that signature limp. He lifts his head towards me and my breath catches in my throat. I snatch my rifle and pull the stock to my shoulder without letting my eyes leave the stag.

The end šŸ’€

Sad, I know. My writing process is 75% daydreaming, 23% planning and 2% actually writing. Also, Bronwen is bilingual because her dad is a second-generation German immigrant so thatā€™s why thereā€™s that little snip in German (literally ā€˜the dang elkā€™). If you want her life story, just ask and I can go on for days. If you read it, do let me know if there are any typos/repetitive words šŸ˜‰

that a northern wind
                      would cool my skin
                      and fill my lungs again

Koshka
                      @koshka
                        • Total Posts: 1427

@ava-blue

Iā€™m randomly jumping in, but I didĀ read it soā€¦

For one, thatā€™s a looong paragraph.

For two, thereā€™s a typo in ā€œIf I only I could get a backdrop behind der verflixte Elche.ā€

Anyway, it sounds interesting! Is there more to the story?

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Queen_of_Alvastia
                        @queen_of_alvastia

@ava-blue

I think you have an interesting start hereā€¦.I could see exactly the scene you were describing. And yes, I would like to hear more of Bronwenā€™s life story šŸ˜Š

Queen_of_Alvastia
                          @queen_of_alvastia

Little question for you guys:

Would this scenario make sense if you read it:

A man (ok ok itā€™s my MC ā€“ poor guy šŸ™„) is trapped in a burning barn b/c he went in there to get a horse out. Heā€™s also a bit claustrophobic (which I didnā€™t realize until I stuck him in there). Anyway the horse spooks, he falls toward a wall and outs out his hands to stop himself. Realizes the wall is burning, tries to stop himself but he canā€™tā€¦.

Someone else comes in and drags him out. After he recovers consciousness, he realizes he has gone blind.

(Donā€™t worry itā€™s temporary. He gets his sight back @ the end.)

Now there is an actual medical condition called Conversion Disorder where you can go blind from trauma temporarily. It just lasts a couple weeks. But Iā€™d never heard of it until yesterdayā€¦ Would it make sense to put this in a middle-age ish story without going into detail on the condition/naming it?

Anonymous

@queen_of_alvastia. I believe it would make total sense!

But, for the historical part of it, make sure your character doesnā€™t understand that the trauma is what causedĀ it. He probably will just think his injury caused the blindness. But, since Medicine, Science, etc, wasnā€™t well known, researched, or anything like that, he wouldnā€™t know that his trauma caused his blindness. Does that make any sense? XD

Okay, so, hereā€™s a small example. In one of my favorite books,Ā ChainsĀ by Laurie Halse Anderson, the MCā€™s younger sister, Ruth, has ā€œthe falling sicknessā€. The book took place during the American Revolution. So, the MC and everyone called what Ruth had, which is actually Epilepsy, ā€œthe falling sicknessā€. šŸ˜‰

Whaley
                              @whalekeeper
                                • Total Posts: 2635

You guys are so relatable on so many levels šŸ˜‚šŸ˜­

Iā€™m at 17k with my current project, but trust me this is the fastest Iā€™ve ever written, and Iā€™m reduced to a mere trickle. All my other WIPs are either in my head or were tediously written for fourteen seconds before being dropped into the abyss, never to be seen again. XD

@ava-blue
                                Also, I really like the vibe of that paragraph, good job!

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Ava Blue
                                @ava-blue
                                  • Total Posts: 216

@koshka thank you! Not even Grammarly caught that. There is more to the story, that snippet isnā€™t actually supposed to be the first scene. Bronwen is hunting rocky mountain elk in late autumn when she realizes she made a mistake whil navigating and she canā€™t find her way back; then the rest of the story is just an excuse to write about life-threatening injuries and how great trees are (jk jk I swear thereā€™s a plot). Oh, and Iā€™m working on writing reasonably sized paragraphs XD

@queen_of_alvastia
                                  thank you šŸ˜€ I think Iā€™ll start a character chain on here, because I would looove to hear about yā€™alls charries and rant about my own šŸ¤© Also, your story sounds really neat! I donā€™t read enough books set during medieval times and Iā€™d love to hear more about yours.

@whalekeeper
                                  thank you! šŸ˜ It can be a bit tricky to write Bronwen from her POV because sheā€™s so different from me, so I kind of have to alter my whole writing style to write her lol. Iā€™m glad it didnā€™t turn out too weird.

that a northern wind
                                  would cool my skin
                                  and fill my lungs again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >