Apologetics

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 370 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

@seekjustice Ahhh, I have to disagree on “dragons and mermaids and all that stuff aren’t real.”

Many mythical creatures are real to some degree, and many are still alive today.

You just have to go looking hard for them…..and some of them aren’t what you think they are.

Take mermaids! They’re actually not humanoid at all. They’re big, gray, eat grass, and some people say they’re more like elephants than people. They’re manatees, or at least that’s what sailors thought when they saw them in Africa and the Americas.

Or what about werewolves? A man was bitten by a wolf and suddenly starts acting just like it, slowly transforming into it. That could quite possibly be because of rabies or a similar disease, which attacks the nerves and would give the appearance of animalistic behavior.

(Oh, and the most convincing Chinese feathered dinosaur, Archaeoraptor, turned out to be a fake, so I don’t really trust the Chinese fossils much after reading up on it. But I personally think there’s no reason to think God never put feathers on raptors and maybe other dinosaurs. After all, he put a beak and an egg-laying apparatus on the platypus, an obvious mammal. He made some sharks give live birth like mammals, too. I personally think if it were real, it’d only be limited to the raptor kind, not the sauropods/stegosaurs/hadrosaurs/etc.)

@folith-feolin
      Certainly possible too!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Folith-Feolin
      @folith-feolin
        • Total Posts: 310

@whalekeeper

@orangearmadillo

So I’ve thought about predestination a bit after learning about Calvinism / John Calvin in History/AP Euro class. If you would like me to talk about the historical aspects of Calvinism I can. (I like to use history to do apologetics stuff as history and literature are my main areas of study)

Additionally I was toying with predestination and prophecy for a certain WIP idea I had. My Main thoughts are if we go with the predestination argument that as God Knows everything that has happened in the past and in the present he can mostly predict the future then that would theoretically be possible. But I feel like that is not totally predestination as predestination says that people are destined to go to either heaven or hell before they are born correct? If we go with God knows what happens in the future that wouldn’t be predestination as much as it is just God knows the future so he can plan for whatever. If we did go with God has pre picked people then one argument to refute the claim that predestination makes everyone sitting ducks is “the gods know who will win the Super Bowl but you’ve still got to play it” type argument that would say that while God may have destined for things to happen then they must still actually happen in real life. However would that argument not just fit more into one of the first two mentioned?

Anyway those are some random ramblings.

I got to go cause I’m done riding in a car

BTW I’m not a Calvinist

TheArcaneAxiom
        @thearcaneaxiom
          • Total Posts: 1250

@folith-feolin

Great point, and I think there is a lot of truth in that. However I don’t think this poses any argument against the dinosaur idea, because again, what I have already stressed. The variety of species that are anatomically 1 to 1 in perfect preserved detail in these different artworks tells another story. I’m not necessarily saying that it is undeniable that humans and dinosaurs coexisted, but I’m simply not seeing any counterarguments that truly addresses the data. Excellent point regardless though!

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

TheArcaneAxiom
          @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin

That’s an excellent point on Calvinism. Exploring those kinds of ideas for WIPs sounds really fun, there’s so many different views on how reality really works that would make really fun worlds and settings.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12
              • Total Posts: 6645

……….*eats chocolate*

………

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Whaley
              @whalekeeper
                • Total Posts: 2599

@godlyfantasy12

*Steals chocolate, stuffs it into mouth*

Thanks, I needed that

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h
                  • Total Posts: 3875

@godlyfantasy12 @whalekeeper CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!

XD XD

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Folith-Feolin
                  @folith-feolin

@thearcaneaxiom

I feel like the dragons = proof dinosaurs co-exist with humans makes some sense. I have not read the book so I can’t totally debate about it and the dragon and snake thing was more just something I thought of off the top of my head at the moment because if for example we look at Asian interpretations of dragons they are literally just snakes with legs so like maybe one could just say they were snakes just to be like a counter argument if you get what I mean. Also I feel like I remember reading some article were back in like 2016 or 2015 then scientists used some sort of x ray technology to debunk the Utah black dragon cave painting. (I will try to find more information). Obviously these scientists could have been wrong but if we are just throwing out plausible counter arguments to ideologically munch on then might be a nice thing to think about?

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin

Now that is an excellent point. Forgery can be the real thing where it all breaks down. How can we really trust if the art is genuine, vs just someone doing some delicate graffiti. That could be the case, though it is addressed in the book as well, and I might have to read it again, but I believe what he points out is simply the quantity of samples he collected worldwide. You have to debunk every one, or have a good alternative explanation for how they look as they do. Some of the samples he gave, you can point out simply feel like a stretch, and that I can agree with, but you can’t really say that to the majority, but that doesn’t mean there couldn’t be other ways including forgery, it would just have to be a lot of forgery. I also think that snakes defiantly were probably considered dragons just as much as the dinosaurs, if indeed they were. They are referenced as fiery flying serpents in the Bible, so I do find it very likely. (flying snakes are actually real and its freaky, soo…).

Folith-Feolin
                      @folith-feolin

@thearcaneaxiom

(I looked it up)

so the painting was not debunked as a forgery rather that it was misinterpreted.

This is what it looks like currently

dinosaur right?

(note the white line was drawn around the image at a later date when it was originally found (there was this whole thing about drawing a chalk line around cave painting back in the 1800s) )

Folith-Feolin
                        @folith-feolin

well apparently using that xray stuff I mentioned earlier they figured out it actually originally looked like this:

Not a dragon 😭

Also this version would have aligned with the styles of the paintings in the surround area. Interesting right.

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin

That is interesting! Very similar to the first one mentioned in the book, which was a different painting, but might have a similar explanation. He actually showed a similar x-ray technology used in a very different artwork in the Carlisle Cathedral in England, and it showed two very distinct species of sauropods with linked heads:

They are only amongst many different species like bats and pigs, so its odd that they are there amongst them as normal animals. There’s many different things to ponder here, and it is interesting how the Utah cave one was able to be put down without much difficulty, but there is still a lot to go through like this. What the truth is needs to be taken with a lot of both vigor and humility from whatever angle we’re coming from.

Folith-Feolin
                            @folith-feolin

That’s interesting. My one question is if it is a cathedral in England how exactly does that prove the dinosaurs thing. (Cause like if it’s a cathedral in England it would have to be post 596 AD.

TheArcaneAxiom
                              @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin

I never necessarily said it does, it’s just one of many examples that suggest the idea. though I don’t really follow the question. Are you just talking about how 500AD is way too recent to believe that dinosaurs were around that time, and simply got scrubbed from history? If so, that is a valid point, and I honestly don’t know, but it is there regardless, so it has to mean something.

Folith-Feolin
                                @folith-feolin

@thearcaneaxiom

I’m saying 500 ad was considerable to recent to say that dinosaurs existed at the Sam time as humans just because well Jesus was born around 5 AD and the Roman Empire fell in 476 AD and as the Romans did a ridiculous amount of writing down things and were one of the first cultures to have written histories so I think we would know if dinosaurs existed then.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Folith-Feolin.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 370 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >