Apologetics

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 370 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

@thearcaneaxiom @folith-feolin There’s no reason to believe dinosaurs went extinct before humans were aware enough of them to make depictions of them.

Certainly the ones like that cave painting or the dead “plesiosaur” the Japanese caught which turned out to be a decayed shark were misinterpreted, but there are others which are too obviously dinosaur-like, or even if they aren’t dinosaurs, they are some other animal which supposedly went extinct before humans knew of it.

Remember the coelacanth. Animals have extraordinary ways of hiding themselves, and they might have lived in places that humans weren’t living in.

Also, the word “dinosaur” was invented in the 1800’s, so there’s no real way to tell if an animal called “dragon” or “salamander” (yes, they used that word for reptiles once) or “serpent” was a dinosaur, a simple lizard, or something we don’t know.

This is kinda my area of interest cause I’ve always loved dinosaurs AND dragons, so……Pardon me for the rant!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 8156

@whalekeeper Girl, I just wanted to say that I admire you for speaking up for and about your beliefs, even while knowing that many of the people here on this specific forum will probably disagree. You have my respect, girl 💜

Keilah H.
        @keilah-h

I’ve read that the last dragon depiction that looks like a dinosaur and that we know isn’t a forgery (still could be misinterpreted, but that’s another discussion) actually comes from the 1500’s or 1600’s (don’t remember which). So 500 AD actually isn’t a stretch for me.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

TheArcaneAxiom
          @thearcaneaxiom
            • Total Posts: 1253

@folith-feolin @keilah-h

It’s very true, and like I said, that’s a very valid point, there are many artworks long before the roman empire as well, but these newer ones are simply there, and they haven’t been shown to be forgery yet, so say we do take it as valid, then what does it mean? Perhaps the romans did talk about them, but we didn’t realize, or there could be many other theories to explain it. Once again, I’m not saying it’s true, I’m just seeing the data, and there has to be some complete explanation that favors or disfavors the theory.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom

@freedomwriter76 @whalekeeper

That is a really good thing to stress Freedom, and I’m really glad you did. Whale, your awesome, and I hope you know that none of us are trying to shoot you down. I have an immense respect for whoever will say what they believe, knowing full well that they may be attacked. What I’ve been trying to strike home in all of my responses is that through asking questions, we can better learn and understand one another, and lift one another up. We are all on our own separate journeys, but the cool thing is the Christ is beside all of us on those journeys, every step of the way, and we can support one another despite our differences.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Folith-Feolin
              @folith-feolin
                • Total Posts: 310

@keilah-h

The first dinosaur bones were found in 1647 and to give you a reference as to when 1500 and 1600 are based upon commonly known historical events:

1096 – The first Crusade

1337-1453  – Hundred Years War

1400s-1500s  – Italian Renaissance

1618-1648 – 30 years war

I really don’t think it likely there were dinosaurs in the 14th or 15th centuries

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h

@folith-feolin Maybe not giant populations of living dinosaurs in civilized countries. Especially if they were finding bones by then and didn’t know what they were. But why might the animals not be in remote areas, slowly dying out? And this would be at the lower end of the dinosaurs-as-dragons spectrum, assuming that they went extinct in the 1000’s or so.

The majority of dragon legends come from medieval times. Not that all of them are true, and in fact many of them probably aren’t, but there are so many consistent portrayals of the creatures indicates, at least to me, that

1. something, dinosaur or not, existed that doesn’t live in that area now.
                  2. there were several, but they were rare.
                  3. they were reptilian (ruling out such things as encounters with bears or similar animals).
                  4. they were usually killed by the knights or whatever was sent to fight them, thus decreasing the population further.

So even if they weren’t dinosaurs, there was some creature that they called “dragons” (be it dinosaurs, giant snakes, crocodile-type creatures or other reptile) that was killed off or greatly reduced from the area by people or environmental changes, or a combination of both.

Folith-Feolin
                  @folith-feolin

You have a good point especially considering we basically have no records from the middle ages

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin

Oh, btw, are you still working on a response for our earlier discussion?

Folith-Feolin
                      @folith-feolin

@thearcaneaxiom

Yup although a lot of my original response has already been answered by the things later discussed in the forum

TheArcaneAxiom
                        @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin

Ahh, yeah, that makes sense. I’m excited to hear your thoughts though!

Ava Blue
                          @ava-blue
                            • Total Posts: 216

Oops I got very behind, there’s 2 whole new pages

@thearcaneaxiom
                            Sure thing, and I apologize! I haven’t met a lot of members of the LDS and I was unaware. I’ll refer to it as that in the future. Thanks for the heads-up 🙂👍

I’m looking into it now and doing a bit of research. Might you have any recommendations for larger/popular LDS churches that I might look into? I find that google is not very helpful in providing the inside scoop when it comes to religion 😐

that a northern wind
                            would cool my skin
                            and fill my lungs again

Anonymous

@thearcaneaxiom I have my own, different convictions and beliefs, but I do find the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints very interesting, and I admire you for understanding and defending what you believe so well ❤️

I guess I don’t truly have “set beliefs”, being a non-denominational Christian, and I’m always looking to God’s word for truth, not set doctrine.

But of course, that is my own personal preference, and I’m still in awe of how you can understand/explain your own beliefs in a very honest yet kind way. 😊

Anonymous

There’s actually a local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the city close to where I live, and I never really noticed it before talking to you, @thearcaneaxiom!

OrangeArmadillo
                                @orangearmadillo
                                  • Total Posts: 95

@freedomwriter76 @thearcaneaxiom

My beliefs are non-denominational, so I don’t have Calvinist or LDS views, but discussing them is interesting to me. I hope these conversations can help bring to light the truth.

@everyone

also, and this is open to everyone, my church is doing a VBS about apologetics and I thought it would be a good time to share a related story. It was a conversation I was having with a close atheistic friend.

We were talking about the afterlife (he didn’t know much of my beliefs yet) and I said, “Well when you die, you go to heaven if you’ve asked Jesus to save you, and if you haven’t, you go to hell.”

He gave an odd look and then said, “Well that’s just your opinion. We can’t really know if anything is true, it could all be an illusion really.”

We’d had discussions about stuff like this before, but never bluntly put like this. After a few secs of thinking, I said, “Is that true?”

He laughed, said “good point” and then we continued the conversation.

I hope this helps bring to light how easy and simple it is to dissuade false beliefs sometimes. Sure, there are moments of difficulty, but the bogus stuff is rather simple.

Thanks to everyone on here for being so kind and loving to each other while discussing and debating conflicting beliefs. That’s what shows how set apart we are from the broken world around us. Sure, we fall short and need His grace, but we respect each other like family and love each other. I pray that this friendliness and brotherhood continues 🙂

The measure of a man is how much bacon he eats.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 370 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >