Any Urban Fantasy clean book recommendations?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Any Urban Fantasy clean book recommendations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Daisy Torres
    @daisy-torres
      • Total Posts: 691

Hey guys!! I’m writing an Urban Fantasy right now (Nanowrimo has me drained T_T) which means it’s time to read up on my genre XD

If you have any clean Urban Fantasy book recommendations, I’d love to hear them!!

(In case you’re not sure what Urban Fantasy is, it’s basically a fantasy story that has a foot in a modern setting, usually the city.)

Thanks guys!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Trahia the Minstrel
      @trahia-the-minstrel
        • Total Posts: 193

@daisy-torres

I’m not sure if this counts, but The Keeper of the Lost Cities series has some modern stuff tied in, because the main character was raised in our world. Even if it doesn’t count, it’s one of the best fantasies I’ve read since Harry Potter and Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive.

(It probably doesn’t count. But it’s a great series and I’m really enjoying it so far.😅😁)

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
        That’s my wish to create.

Daisy Torres
        @daisy-torres

@trahia-the-minstrel YES I  l o v e  that series!!! It’s literally one of the best out there. and so well-thought!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Issabelle Perry
          @issawriter7
            • Total Posts: 976

@daisy-torres

I’ve just recently been introduced to urban fantasy, so I haven’t ever read any books, as knowledge serves, that are in that genre. (I believe I heard someone say @e-k-seaver novella The House That Didn’t End was urban fantasy. I *sniffs* sadly haven’t gotten my copy yet, but I think it’ll be REALLY epic!!!)

Anyway, urban fantasy’s a genre I’ve been really wanting to read more of, so I am SUUPER EXCITED to hear you’re working on one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have any plans to publish it in the future?

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
            TeenWritersNook.com

Daisy Torres
            @daisy-torres

@issawriter7 Tbh, I haven’t read a ton in that genre either XD I love the creativity the genre has to offer though! (Oo really? I definitely need to get a copy of it. It sounds amazing!!)

Eeek that makes me really happy!! I absolutely have plans to publish! I am only 12 chapters in at the moment, but this story holds such a warm place in my heart, so I’ll definitely be finishing it, even if it takes a while XD I’m not sure how long it will be, And I tend to plot as I write, so who knows where it’s going right now XD

(A while back I uploaded a few chapters on here! This book is Smoke and Mirrors, if you ever had the chance to read any of it?)

Elizabeth
              @lewilliams
                • Total Posts: 252

@daisy-torres It’s been forever since I’ve read any of these, but the Dreamtreaders series by Wayne Thomas Batson (the main character who is very much from our world is one of three-ish people who can enter the dream world) and The Hundred Cupboards by N.D. Wilson (a portal fantasy set partially in Kansas) might fit the bill. Both authors are Christian, though  The Hundred Cupboards is a pretty spooky in places, so that’s something to be aware of. (I think N.D. Wilson has another series set more fully in the real world, but I definitely didn’t like that one as much.) Also, Lloyd Alexander’s works tend to be based off some mythos, culture, or historical society from our world, so that might also work? I’ll have to go stare at my bookshelf to see if I can think of any more.

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Elizabeth
                @lewilliams
                  • Total Posts: 252

Also I hope NaNo is going well! My sincerest admiration goes out to all those attempting that intrepid feat. 😀

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Issabelle Perry
                  @issawriter7
                    • Total Posts: 976

@daisy-torres

Wait, this is Smoke and Mirrors??? *totally just got a thousand times more excited* YESSS!!!!! I did read a few of the chapters you had posted and was so IN LOVE with it!!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha, I feel you, sista. I’m a die-hard panster who writes a bunch of first draft-filled-rambling nonsense like there’s no tomorrow. 😂 But you keep on writing because I plan to get a copy of this book when it releases!!!!!!! I’ve already got the perfect spot on my shelf to place it right beside my copy of Ignitethat shelf is literally one of these days going to become the Kingdom Pen shelf where I stick copies of all of y’all’s fantabulous books!!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                    TeenWritersNook.com

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting
                      • Total Posts: 1700

@daisy-torres *distant coughing* My stuff.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                      Would you mind letting me know
                      If hours don't turn into days

Daisy Torres
                      @daisy-torres

@lewilliams Ooo those sound fantastic!! I will totally look into them, thank you so much!!! And yes, NaNo is going fantastic!!! This is my first year to dive in and fully commit, but I’m loving it. I really hit a slump after finishing one of my books, and then things got busy so I never tried pulling myself out. Nano realllyy helped me get better about getting back into my writing habits!

Daisy Torres
                        @daisy-torres

@issawriter7 Awwweeee you totally just made my week!!! That makes me supperrr excited to hear! Thank youuuu <3 And girllll sameee about the pantsing T_T I am baddd at it, but also I love doing it because not only is it an adventure to read, even I have no clue what’s going on XDD Eeekk I totally will!! And a KP bookshelf sounds fantabulous XD I need me one of those!!!!

Daisy Torres
                          @daisy-torres

@devastate-lasting Haha!! Sure thing, can you name some things?

Linyang Zhang
                            @devastate-lasting

@daisy-torres Ay, I have an urban fantasy series on Tapas called Those Who Were Given Another Yesterday! Feel free to read with the link below.

https://tapas.io/series/Those-Who-Were-Given-Another-Yesterday/info

Daisy Torres
                              @daisy-torres

@devastate-lasting Starting chapter one now!! I LOVE your cover!

Also, (outside of you) I’ve never heard of Tapas before. Do you recommend it for building an audience/getting attention for your books?

Linyang Zhang
                                @devastate-lasting

@daisy-torres Ah thank you so much! Unfortunately, no, I wouldn’t recommend it. The readerbase is very small already and without signing a contract it is hard to garner any attention for your work. Plus, the site caters much more to genres like LGBT.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >