Adding another POV?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Adding another POV?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 110

Hey guys! Long time, no see!

How’s everyone been? This past month I’ve been super busy with graduation, which is why I haven’t been on here much *cough* at all *cough*

Anyway! I come seeking some advice regarding dual POVs. If y’all remember my his-fic WIP, Where Faith Remains, about Russell and Eliza . . . well, here’s the deal. I’m thinking about adding Russell’s POV so that the chapters alternate between his POV and Eliza’s.

This is something I never thought I’d even consider doing. But as I’ve given thought to it, I feel like adding Russell’s POV might make the novel more powerful. He has a lot of internal turmoil and stuff he goes through which would make things even MORE heartrending and emotionally intense than they already are. *cries* Plus there’s a lot I could reveal through his POV without relying on Eliza overhearing stuff to clue the reader in (she’s done that way too many times already lol). PLUS I just love Russell so much, he’s my baby and my favorite character in the entire series . . . but augh, I just don’t know! To be honest, I’d be a tad bit nervous adding his POV because it’s pretty difficult and emotionally draining to write due to his PTSD and depression, plus all the darkness he goes through in the face of cancer and poverty. BUT those things would make the story all the more powerful . . .

Well, to end this rant, what do y’all think? Do you think I should add Russell’s POV or keep it just to Eliza’s? If any of you have written dual POVs before, have you any advice?

I would be most grateful for any and all input!

@keilah-h
      @esther-c @princesachronicle22 @lightoverdarkness6  @euodia-vision @loopylin @whalekeeper @godlyfantasy12 @elishavet-pidyon @freedomwriter76

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 8156

@joy-calle Joy!!! *hugs* 💖💖 I’m so happy to have you here!!! Oh, and congrats on graduating!!! 🎉🥳

Ooooohhh, now, personally, I think it would add so much MORE to Where Faith Remains to add Russell’s POV, since it would play that much more into the story, timeline, and the theme of the novel. In the end, it’s up to you, and it’s completely based on how you want/need your book to be, but I think adding Russell as a POV character would add even more depth to the story. Just my personal opinion on it though 😊

(and if you’re really nervous about it, that’s okay too! If it’s not something you want to handle, you don’t have to feel like you have to! 😊 but if you DO want to handle it, God will help you write Russell’s POV with Grace and Truth ❤️)

And as for advice…

Well, I’m still figuring this out myself, lol, but considering the fact that almost literally every last one of my WIPs has multiple POVs, one of which alternates between five different ones, lol, I probably do have a few things I could say XD

1. Make sure each character has their own Character Arc

The arcs can be similar, but to keep the characters different and each full of their own level of depth, they need to have their own struggle/Arc that plays into the overarching theme of the Novel, which brings me to point 2

2. Make sure each character’s struggle plays into the overarching theme

Their struggles need to be at least slightly different, but also need to play into the overarching theme of the Novel. As an example, the overarching theme of my main WIP Freedom’s Fire/Broken Shackles (it’s separated into two novels now, what can I say? XD) is Forgiveness. The two MCs/POVs, Leon and Riker, both have slightly different struggles/arcs. Leon has to learn to forgive others, whilst Riker has to learn to forgive himself, and both of them learn about God’s forgiveness in the midst of that. Both of their struggles play into the overarching theme of Forgiveness, but their Arcs are also slightly different in that they both have a different way/person they have to learn to forgive.

3. Make sure each character is distinct from the other(s)

It’s important to keep all of your characters unique, and when dealing with multiple POVs, that becomes even more important. You have to try to make sure both characters are different/unique enough to distinguish them from the other POV character(s). (considering one is an adult and the other is a kid in yours, it might be a little easier to make them distinct 😊)

I don’t think I have any other advice as of this moment, but I may think of more later on XD

Again, it’s amazing to see you again, Joy!!! 💖💖 Hope I helped at least a little!❤️

Anonymous

@joy-calle I’ll share a couple examples 💖 You don’t have to feel like you have to read these, lol, XD, but I decided to share a couple snippets from another WIP of mine, Against All Odds, that alternates between 5 Brother’s POVs, showing how I’ve tried to make all of their POVs distinct 😂

I hope there’s a difference between their POVs, at least… XD

LEO

There would be a Schutzstaffel parade and Hitler Youth parade too, and he hoped to avoid both.

But he wasn’t going anywhere.

Not yet at least.

Not until he found his brothers.

He’d lost them in the crowd.

It was the whole reason he hated crowds in the first place…how easy it was to lose people in them.

Leo forced the memory from ten years ago back, but this wasn’t the first time he’d lost his brothers in a crowd.

Just another way he’d failed.

Leo glanced around, still looking, but he didn’t see them anywhere.

He ran his fingers through his dark brown, wavy hair, slightly pulling it, and groaned.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!

It was just like it was ten years ago. Only a little bit less scary, now that his brothers were older.

Wolfgang had been eight then.

JOSHUA

Joshua cut the canvas that would likely later be put on a German truck or used as a parachute, as men around him did the same.

‘So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.’

Found in the book of Colossians.

Though working at the factory wasn’t his choice, he could make the most of it.

‘For God works all things together for good; for those who are called according to his purpose.’

That was from the book of Romans.

He’d read it again just this morning. It was one of his favorite verses.

JAKOB

“Nothing. I’m fine.”

Jakob nodded, knowing that was a lie, as his grip on the shovel’s handle tightened.

Frida’s “lesson” from last week had been more than just a lesson.

Leo’s bruises testified to that fact.

All of her lessons were that way.

Jakob’s knuckles turned white.

She would pay.

One day.

One day she would pay.

They all would.

Eighteen years.

And they would pay for every single day. Every single bruise and scar.

REUBEN

Cleaning the street…what was the point of it?

But if Reuben had learned anything in the twenty years of his existence, it was that it was better to stay silent.

Don’t ask questions.

Don’t attract attention to yourself.

Give them no excuse to hurt you.

Reuben shoved away the memories that threatened to rise, instead focusing his attention on his younger brother, who scrubbed the street beside him, humming a quiet song under his breath.

Reuben couldn’t stop the smile that spread up his face.

Wolfgang was so caring…carefree…hopeful.

And Reuben hoped he stayed that way forever.

WOLFGANG (precious baby boi 🥺)

Wolfgang turned to Reuben with a grin. “I see why you like painting so much!”

Reuben nodded and laughed. “Yeah…now you see how fun it is.”

Wolfgang nodded. He loved the bright green paint.

It was happy and colorful.

Reuben was using a dark green, almost black, but Wolfgang liked the brighter green more.

Jakob leaned back against one of the bunk beds, a sigh escaping his lips.

Wolfgang looked over at him, eyebrow raised. “Jakob, what’s wrong?”

Jakob shook his head. “Ah, it’s nothing, Wolfgang. I’m just thinking.”

Wolfgang went back to his painting.

He could tell Jakob was lying, but if he didn’t want to talk about it, Wolfgang was okay with that.

He wasn’t going to push.

Leo sat on one of the beds, as Joshua, sitting beside him, wiped away blood and applied salve to the injuries on his forehead, cheek, and hands.

Apparently, a guard hadn’t liked Leo and Jakob’s work at the construction site.

Jakob had treated his on his own, as he hadn’t had as many, but Joshua was helping Leo out.

Wolfgang bit the inside of his cheek.

Why were they always being hit?

Sorry that was so long!!! 😅

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h
            • Total Posts: 3875

@joy-calle Hi again!

I think adding another POV is a great idea. It’ll let you show so much more. And you can detail more onto a character if you’re “listening in” on his thoughts.

@freedomwriter76 Those little scenes! are they part of your actual book or just examples?

I have a feeling I’ll love the book about them once you get around to writing it……

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Esther
            @esther-c
              • Total Posts: 3202

@joy-calle

Hey!! Welcome back!!! 😊

Congratulations on graduating!!! 🥳

And yes, I think you should totally go for writing two POVs! I can understand how you would be nervous writing from Russell’s POV because of the reasons you listed, just be sure to pray about it and always leave glimmers of hope despite his darkness along the way. 🙂

To answer your question, I always write in dual POVs. (Idk why, it just ended up that way. XD) I think the only time I’ll stray from that is when I write the sequel to my trilogy. (Which will have like 3-5 POVs. 😬) Anyway, I’ll tell you a few things that I’ve learned.

1. Give each character a distinct voice.

This is kinda piggybacking off of what Freedom said. Make sure that when readers read the different POVs, they’ll be able to see the difference. And this is not always easy. 😅 That’s why knowing your characters really well and fleshing them out is key to writing in multiple POVs. Just like us, characters interpret situations differently and have different thought processes than other people and it’s super important to keep that in mind. (When writing dual POVs and just in general. 😉 ) Like Freedom said, you might have an easier time of doing this because Eliza is a lot younger than Russell.

2. Use vocabulary appropriate for each character.

This one kind of ties into my first point. Just as characters react differently, they’ll describe settings and situations differently. I don’t think you’re writing in first person, so here’s what I mean. If Russell walks into a mansion, he’s going to describe it differently than Eliza, even though they’re looking at the same exact things. Russell may use a more extensive vocabulary or find one part of the mansion more interesting than Eliza would.

I can’t really think of anything else to add right now, so good luck!! I hope some of what I said was helpful. XD Keep on writing! ❤️

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Anonymous

@keilah-h They’re a part of what I have so far of Against All Odds! That WIP is at, like 40+ pages I believe, so nowhere NEAR as long as Leon/Riker’s book, lol. But I HAVE started it 😊

Anonymous

@freedomwriter76

THANK YOU!!! I’ve missed chatting on here with you!!

Thank you for the great advice! Russell’s POV would definitely help add to the theme, so I think I might just add his. . . .

Wow, five POVs??? Girl. 😂 How do you keep track of all of them? If you like books with lots of POVs, I would highly encourage you to check out anything by Amanda Dykes. Yours Is the Night is definitely her best multiple-POV novel in my opinion, though. I think you’d really like it. It’s WWI fiction and has five POVs, all written in first person, and yet they voices are all so distinct! She’s a terrific writer.

Thanks for sharing those snippets! I read thru all of them. *remembers how much I’ve wanted to punch Frida ever since you first shared snippets mentioning her*

Anonymous

@keilah-h

Hi!! *waves*

True! I think I might just do it!

Anonymous

@esther-c

Thanks, Esther!!! 🫶

Ooh, that’s so cool! As I was saying to Freedom, I think you’d really enjoy Amanda Dykes’ books, especially Yours Is the Night. I also just finished reading The Paris Dressmaker by Kristy Cambron, which did the dual-POV thing brilliantly.

Thank you so much for your advice!! Yeah, I don’t think I’ll have too much of a problem making Russell’s voice distinct from Eliza’s, since after all she’s a little girl and Russell is a grown man XD I’ll definitely keep on thinking about adding his POV! Maybe I’ll try writing a chapter to see how it works.

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h

@joy-calle Let me know how it turns out!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@freedomwriter76 cool, cool!

Anonymous

@joy-calle

YOU’RE SO WELCOME, girl! ❤️ *hugs*

Aww, you’re so welcome, hope I helped a little! OOH, if you do, tell me how it goes!! (I love Russell so much 😍)

Hahaha, wellll, if I can keep up with my dozens (lol, not ACTUALLY that many XD) of WIPs, I can keep up with 5 POVs 🤣🤣 They’re all so different and distinct tho, and I love all 5 of them so muchhhhhh, so it makes it easier 💖 Ooh, I’ve heard her books recommended to me multiple times…just never tried any of them yet 😅 I should tho!! I’ll try to remember to check it out!! 😉

You’re welcome!!! Aww, thx for reading all of them…I know it’s a lot 😂

*remembers that I feel the same way about her; then remembers one of the main themes of the novel she’s in the most is forgiveness* 0_o

Anonymous
                              Anonymous

@freedomwriter76

YESSSS YOU DID AND YESSSS I WILL!!! (Awww I’m so glad you love him toooooo)

This begs a completely genuine question: Do you actually know the exact number of WIPs you have? XD

Yes! You definitely should! And idk if you saw my recommendation to Esther, but The Paris Dressmaker by Kristy Cambron is an amazing dual-POV novel as well. And since you seem to be someone who loves swoony heroes (I mean, who doesn’t? 😉 ) I think you’d love the hero in TPD, René Touliard.

Ofc! I always enjoy the snippets you share!! (Joshua is probably my favorite of these characters btw)

oh dear. well, we all need to learn to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us so . . .

Euodia
                                @euodia-vision
                                  • Total Posts: 1306

@joy-calle

HELLO! Congrats on graduating!🎉🎉🎉

I’m a little late to replying, plus I don’t think I have much else to add cuz what everyone said was everything I was thinking!

But yes, I think adding another POV for Russell would add SO much more to the story and give readers a different perspective into both Russell’s and Eliza’s lives!

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >