A Writing Game

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Hoven
    @sarah-h
      • Total Posts: 669

They surveyed the mess in dismay. There was paint everywhere- splashed on the walls, swirling on the floor, running in sluggish rivulets down the marble steps. Nobody leaned over the railing of the balcony and spotted the paint bucket lying in the corner far below. “Somebody should clean that up.”
      Somebody stiffened. “Everybody should help! I can’t clean that up all by myself.”
      “Nobody can,” Everybody protested. “It’s too big.”
      “If Everybody works together, you could do it,” encouraged Nobody.
      Everybody shook his head. “Somebody else should do it.”
      “I told you I can’t!” Somebody insisted.
      And so Nobody cleaned it up.

That was fun to write! I should do that again, sometime.

Writing Prompt: Write about a British sea captain on a camel caravan in the Sahara.

Rosey Mucklestone
      @writefury
        • Total Posts: 467

@kate-flournoy and @sarah-h Loved that idea! XD We actually have a running joke in our family that I’m “Somebody” and my brother is “Everybody”. 😛

“I say… er… good sir?” I squinted against the bright sunlight to the guide loading the camels ahead. He looked up at me, his white teeth contrasting sharply against his nut brown face.

“Yes, Effendi?”

“How would one go about…” I twisted my mouth to one side and gestured slightly to the camel I was supposed to ride, “… boarding… this beast?”

“Mounting, Effendi?” He kept his smile and walked over next to me, his sandals making soft noises on the sand underfoot, “I will help.” he made a few adjustments to the stirrups and saddle as he spoke.

I took off my hat and rubbed a sleeve across my forehead. The sun seemed to be burning me by the second. How on earth is this man staying cool? I don’t even see any sign of sweat on him.

Finally he stepped back and swept an arm towards the camel. “Is much easier now.”

I frowned, unable to see any difference from before. “Well… I… thank you.” I gave him a slight bow. I could figure it out on my own. After all, it couldn’t be too much harder than rigging.

After a few only minorly humiliating attempts, I was finally able to get one leg on each side of the awkwardly shaped back of the beast. I tell you, it did not do a lot to cool me down.

“Ready to go, Effendi?” The guide called back to me from his place he’d resumed at the head of the caravan.

I gave him a wave and a nod. And with that we started off over the rolling waves of sand.

Goodness, that was fun. ^_^ (@kate-flournoy, I sort of was imagining Lieutenant Buckland in that position. 😛 )

Prompt: Write about working out a book scene with the characters as if on a movie set.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

I can totally see Buckland in that, @writefury! 😛 Ugh… there are no words to describe my loathing of that character.

‘I glanced up from the clipboard in my hand and squinted my eyes against the bright lights of the set, fixing them on the two men who stood waiting for me to speak. “Okay, guys,” I said. “You both got your lines down?”
          The younger of the two grinned and nodded, rolling his eyes and leaning back against the desk set in the middle of the stage. I must say it looked rather incongruous— eighteen hundreds furniture in the midst of a tangle of cameras and lights. “Glad to hear it, Leon,” I said crisply. “What about you, Harrison?” I swiveled my eyes to the older man, and was met with another nod and an amused smile. “What?” I demanded. “It’s a routine question!”
          “Oh, yes,” Leon replied, pushing his hair up off of his forehead with the palm of his hand. “It’s just that’s like the tenth time you’ve asked us.”
          I pressed my lips together primly. “I think I may be excused, given your record at least, Mr. Lampitt,” I said drily. “Now you come in by the door there, and you’re supposed to be surprised at all the papers and stuff lying on the library floor.”
          Leon moved off towards the doorway erected to the left of the desk, picking his way carefully amongst the books and papers strewn over the carpet. “Right— got it,” he said. “Only what I don’t understand is why Harrison decided to pack up in such a messy manner, being like he is and all.”
          Harrison laughed, but I ignored it. “Your first line, Leon,” I said in a loud voice, “Is ‘Are you going somewhere sir? Or are you making a donation to the library?’And you must say it with just the right inflection of amused bewilderment in your voice.”
          “Yes,” Leon replied from the other side of the door frame. “I know.”
          “All right,” I said, stepping back out of the shot. “Harrison, you’re sitting there at the desk and doing something with those papers.”
          He moved to take the chair before the desk, and stared at the papers with a little smile twitching about his lips.
          “What is it now?” I demanded.
          “What am I to be doing with the papers?” he asked, and glancing up met my exasperated brown eyes with swift laughter in his blue ones. “I don’t know!” I cried. “Just— fiddle with them; make yourself look busy— anything convincing.”
          He obligingly began fiddling. “Action,” I said, and held my breath expectantly. It was going well— we got several good shots of Harrison fiddling convincingly with his papers. He wasn’t a bad actor, I admitted grudgingly. Okay— now Leon’s cue. He could be pretty good when he wanted, too… the question was, did he want?
          He stepped through the doorway with the perfect expression of interested surprise on his face, hesitating for just the right amount of time and staring at the mess that was the floor. “Are you going somewhere, sir?” he asked, and I breathed a small sigh of relief, the death-grip I had on my clip-board loosening somewhat. “Or would you mind picking me up some lunch on the way to the library?”
          Yeah. I guess he didn’t want.’

Write about a dragon who’s afraid of the dark. 🙂

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

Smigly and I took a second swoop on the palace. This was the part I liked most. I let my wings fold as I dropped to the ground. Smigly flew over. “Sorry Bif,” he said, “Forgot the barbeque sauce. Be back in a moment.” Smigly was the most forgetful dragon I knew. Right now, that was a benefit because that meant I got to eat more of the knights, and dukes, and whatever other fancy people were in there.

With a breath of flame, I consumed the wall in front of me and stormed into the palace. Screams abounded and the people ran in so many directions I had a hard time chasing down anyone of them. At last, I thought I had a plump lord.

Of course, I didn’t. Just then, I knocked over the main structural pillars of the palace and the whole thing came tumbling down on top of me. A deep darkness prevailed. “Hheeeeeeellp!” I screamed.

Overhead, I heard the swooping of Smigly’s wings. “What happened?” he asked. “Did you try any of the Barons yet? I brought some frank’s sauce. Oh, wait! I was supposed to get -”

“Smigly,” I interrupted, “It’s dark in here. How am I supposed to catch a Baron? I can’t even see.”

“- Oh”

“Smigly?”

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“Do you believe in ghosts?”

“No. Why?”

“Cause I think there’s one in here.”

“Oh, come on. You’re just afraid of the dark.”

“No really!”

“Look, you take up over half the space in that rubble heap. That means if there is a ghost in there, you’re bigger than him.”

“But Smigly … it’s a ghoooooost.”

Write a story with this line in it. “Her hair reminded me a lot of turtle soup”

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

Barbecued Baron. Delish. 😛

Hannah C
              @hannah-c
                • Total Posts: 362

Lol love the story @daeus! Just one question though,

“Her hair reminded me a lot of turtle soup”

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!?!?!?

HC

Daeus
                @daeus

@hannah-c

That’s for me not to know and for you to find out. Could be a horror story. Could be a romance. Could be a satire. Who knows? Could even be a poem.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
                  @bluejay
                    • Total Posts: 1622

Her hair reminded me a lot of turtle soup. Now it could be because I was eating that soup, that made me think of it, but I really don’t know. I have to say I’ve thought of some weird things in the time that I’ve sat here watching people. The plaza is a great place to just sit and watch. Nobody takes any notice of me. I’m dull and quite. The only unusual thing about me was my twisted leg. But this girl with turtle soup hair wasn’t made to blend in. She was a whirl of colour. “A butterfly,” I thought. Flitting here and there. Her high-heeled shoes tapped on the floor. Oh, and one other thing you should know about me, is that I have to use a walking stick to help me. And as this little butterfly flew past me, her shoe caught on my stick and she tripped and fell. I’m absolutely positive I’ll never seen the like of that again. Down the butterfly went in a flurry of colours and a small, bewildered squeal. And did the bags go flying! Shopping was everywhere, tins were rolling about in the plastic bags and packets of frozen chips and veggies lying limp and cold. The clothes the girl had chosen were scattered around too, splashes of colour on the dull floor.
                    Almost before I could gather my scattered wits the poor thing was apologizing, scrabbling about on her knees for her things, making excuses and almost crying from embarrassment. I hid my grin and began to help her, inwardly shaking my head mockingly.
                    Then I saw a large clear tear plop onto the floor. It smudged as she pulled a plastic bag toward her over it.
                    I reached out a hand and placed it on her shoulder. “I’m sorry. I should have been more careful with my stick. Come and sit down and take a breather. You know, it’s alright to slow down.”
                    She smiled and accepted my offer.

Prompt: Write about a flock of birds. Each one thinks that they are the best and prettiest.
                    Sorry, not a very good prompt. I’ll try to better next time. 😛

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by BlueJay.
                    Daeus
                    @daeus

“There is no doubt that I am by far the prettiest.”

Others glare at me.

“Come on! Just look at my beak!”

Forty other beaks are flaunted in outlandish poses.

“Hmph!” I tilt my head back contemptuously and fall off the branch. At first I’m afraid, then I just decide to fall fashionably. Then I remember my wings.

Write a story about a fantasy villain who goes to sleep and wakes up in an American coffee shop.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rosey Mucklestone
                      @writefury
                        • Total Posts: 467

Nice work, @bluejay. I would have probably gone with some alien story. 😛

Chattering noises fill the air, jolting me uncomfortably into wakefulness. I frown, but don’t open my eyes. It was a truly exhausting day yesterday. I toppled two whole kingdoms and killed about five heroes and it really took it out of me. My minions should know better than to wake me. I only hope for their sakes that I’m able to get back to sleep.

“Hey, buddy,” I feel a nudge against my shoulder.

Buddy? A far, far cry from ‘your lordship’. I mentally file away the voice as another minion yet to die.

“Dude, you can’t just conk out anywhere. Get up.”

I’m prodded with what feels like a broomstick. Scowling, I open my eyes to see a young man with a strange, front-brimmed hat and non-ruffled pinafore squinting down at me. I’m surprised to note that I’m leaning back in a large chair in a building I’ve never seen before. The air is filled with a strange, toasty, bitter smell.

I snap my gaze over to the young man, “Where am I, peasant scum?”

He looks taken aback and insulted, “Somewhere that doesn’t accept rude customers in black death cloaks,” he retorts.

“Customers?” I stand, smoothing my clothes, “Then you’re a shop.” I look around at the other people in the shop. They’re all lined up to get some sort of dark liquid. It seems to be bringing them back to life as they sit back to take it in the stiff wooden chairs around the rest of the room.

“Begone, knave,” I give the boy a shove and march up to the counter, shoving past the strangely dressed people in line. I set my gloved hand down on the counter and look menacingly down on the girl behind the counter. “How many garlins for your black potion?”

“Um…” she looks at me with wide eyes, “For just a plain drip coffee, it’s three dollars…”

I gave her one garlin and it seemed to be enough. She hands me a steaming cup filled to the brim with the dark, burn-y smelling liquid and looks at me like she hopes I’d go away. I look at her like I never fulfill the requests of peasants and take a long drink out of the cup.

I hold it in my mouth and close my eyes, letting the magic work. Strength and energy fill my veins and I smile evilly down at the girl again. “Your magic is strong. I demand the potion recipe for my troops.”

A few more garlins buy me a large bag of magic, roasted beans.
                        Now just to find the portal back and my troops shall rule the globe.

Prompt: Write a story including this word:
                        defenestration

Daeus
                        @daeus

“Defenestration. There’re only two ways to do it. There is the right way and the wrong way. The wrong way is the sign of a political greenhorn. The wrong way is blue eggs and beef. That is what my opponents do. The right way is what I practice and will continue to practice.”

A rich but cheesy male voice boomed from the television, “This advertisement paid for by Dr. Seuss for president. Vote Seuss.”

I turned off the tv. This was starting to get scary. I had just checked on his polls too and he had 60% of the vote.

A crash came from my left and I looked over to see a small furry lime-green creature with a long furry trunk standing next to a broken window. He was brushing glass shards from his fur. “What happened?” I half screamed.

“Dr. Seuss just through me out the window,” the creature stated nonchalantly.

“But this is in!”

“In to you but out to me,” the creature replied making a last few brushes at his fur. He looked around rather innocently. “When’s breakfast?”

Write a story about someone facing their biggest fear.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                          @hope
                            • Total Posts: 1092

@Daeus Too funny! 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Hope Ann
                            @hope
                              • Total Posts: 1092

I swallowed hard and closed my eyes. “I can’t…I can’t go in there.”

I could feel Daren’s stare. “What’s that supposed to mean? We’re getting through this cave.”

“But…” I motioned helplessly towards the creatures covering the ground between me and the opposite exit.

“Fluffy night bunnies?” Daren’s stare turned into a smirk. “A grown knight afraid of a rabbit.”

“The have fangs!” I protested. Though he was right, it did sound ridiculous.

“Fangs?” Daren snorted, shaking his head. “Baby fangs?”

Right, he’d not been there last year. He’d never seen them. Well then…

I took a deep breath and unsheathed my sword. Let sleeping night bunnies, and anything else with fangs, lie well alone was my motto. Unfortunately we did need to get through the cave.

“You first then.” I motioned Daren forward. He chuckled, shaking his head. I held my sword at the ready. There were very few things which would make me face these creatures again. Seeing Daren learn the truth was one of them.

He’d barely stepped foot into the shadows when the nearest bunny paused, fixing its eyes on him. A flicker of uncertainty crossed Daren’s face for the first time.

Then the bunny jumped, its fangs gleaming in the torchlight. Daren’s shout of surprise as he stumbled backwards lifted a smile to my lips as I swung my blade. The bunny fell to the ground and I met Daren’s gaze. “Just night bunnies.”

He swallowed hard and glanced back at the cave. When his eyes met mine again, they were firm. And his words were the ones I’d been waiting for. “I know another way in.”

Write a story about an actor who is playing a villain…and falls into the movie they are making.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

BlueJay
                              @bluejay
                                • Total Posts: 1622

Daniel felt the ground rumble beneath his feet. Whoa! He hadn’t been told that this would be happening. He glanced up to ask the director what was going on and saw…no one.
                                “Help,” he yelled out. The sky began to darken. Just cause he was a bad guy in the movie didn’t mean they had to treat him like one. “Hello! Where is everyone?” He tried to move, but found his feet, seemingly stuck to the ground.
                                “Whoa…whoa…arggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…………………..Hmphhhhh.
                                He landed with a thump on the ground. Daniel lay there with his eyes closed. That had been crazy. He had agreed to act, but that…earthquake had not been part of the deal.
                                Suddenly he heard a low growl. He slowly opened one eye and saw a bear standing only a few feet away. ‘Great, he thought. ‘Now the bear that we are working with is loose.’
                                As Daniel made to rise up, a feminine voice stopped him.
                                “Stay right where you are. And don’t try any funny business.”
                                Daniel glanced over his shoulder. “Paige,” he called. “What are you doing? Did you feel the earthquake or was it just me?”
                                “I don’t know what you are talking about, and my name is not Paige.”
                                “Right, Elz, if you’d prefer. Where is everyone?”
                                The lass tilted her head. “How do you know my name?”
                                “Paige, er, Elz, we are acting in a movie. Remember? You’re the main female. You work with a guy called Travis or Sagon. I’m Daniel and I play Abanza the bad guy.”
                                “Bad guy is right. You’ve done more harm than anyone that I can remember. Villages burnt, houses plundered. But enough talk. Stand up, slowly. Any wrong move and the bear will rip you to shreds. Understand?”
                                “Got it. You are playing on set. Unbelievable. I must have hit my head harder than I thought.”

Prompt – Write about…a mouse who is part of a secret society. Humans are to be avoided at all costs!

Anna Brie
                                @anna-brie
                                  • Total Posts: 312

The ground shook slightly with footsteps. Tit squeaked and yanked Mango’s tail hard with her teeth.
                                  “Look out! Can’t you hear them coming?”
                                  He gave her a long look, then slowly crawled into the tiny, dark hole after her.
                                  “I thought,” he said slowly, “that we were going the other direction.”
                                  “Yes, but we can’t be seen. It would be dire, would ruin everything. I’m already beginning to think we oughtn’t have told you. If you don’t move quickly you’ll get caught.”
                                  “Fine, I’ll move quicker next time. Are you satisfied now?”
                                  “Quite,” Tit said, “Only, don’t squeak so much.”
                                  The footsteps faded away and she peeked out slightly. Clear now.
                                  “Follow me.”
                                  She scampered out across the ground and into another hole, looking behind her once to make sure Mango followed.Once he had got inside she led the way down a narrow, cozy tunnel. A little way along the scent of cucumber mixed in with the earthy smell. Mmm, someone had got something good. She sped up her pace.
                                  Finally she saw a tiny bit of light ahead and a tiny voice squeaked, “Password please.”

Prompt- Write a story about using paprika to save the world. (I almost had something about baking cookies in that prompt too)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >