Where do you live?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Where do you live?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

Oh, and we get to hear wild dogs at night. Or coyotes; I’m still not sure what they are. We don’t normally hear them, only a few times a year, after dark, and then for only a few minutes (we live in the country). But they are one the creepiest things you’ll ever here. They almost sound human, but not quite. High, chilling, a mixture of a wild sound I can only compare to laughter and something completely animal. I’ve tried to describe them to myself when I do hear them, but even then it is hard.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Rosey Mucklestone
      @writefury
        • Total Posts: 467

The main problem in Oklahoma has less to do with the wind and more to do with the wind ferrets that come with it. They’re a serious problem.

*laughs until I can’t breathe* *catches breath* Yep. Wind ferrets. Gospel truth, @bluejay. XP
        Various breeds plague different areas of the US. Up here in Washington, the rain weasels get pretty bad. Though I did manage to tame one once by feeding it wheat thins.

@sarah-h
        Yeah, quite a few times. You?

Anna Brie
        @anna-brie
          • Total Posts: 312

Okay, things about Australia. We can have thunder storms in summer, which on the odd occasion make the power go out and on very rare occasions it doesn’t get fixed until 21 hours later. Hence me not saying any thing for a couple of days.

About our history, Captain Cook was the first to claim the territory and do much mapping. There were a few others who stumbled upon it but they didn’t do anything of significance. The first Colony was started in Sydney in January 1788. (When they lost the american colonies.) Most of the settlement were penal colonies(meaning convict who had done anything from stealing an loaf of bread to murder), not all of them were though. The English only just beat the French here but there wasn’t any battles that I recall. In 1901, we became a federation with the Queen of England as our head of state. (though she died with the month and we had kings for 50+ years) She is represent my the Governor-General of a federal level and Governors on the state level.

I’ve visited Victoria a lot, Tasmania once and few bits of Queensland on occasion. And I visit the ACT or drive though it about once a week.

Rolena Hatfield
          @rolena-hatfield
            • Total Posts: 405

@bluejay Did someone say Sight and Sound? That’s the best theater in all of the USA! My family and I have seen two shows together and I have seen three in total. I LOVE Sight and Sound! I actually auditioned for their theater in Branson this past fall, but sadly wasn’t accepted on for this show. They are a very competitive theater, meaning that hundreds audition for their shows each year. Have you heard about their conservatory in Pennsylvania? I’ve considered applying for the conservatory, but the Lord hasn’t led in that direction. 🙂 If you ever do act in one of those shows, let me know, I’ll come watch!

Soooo… after getting that out of my system. I live in Iowa. (Yay Iowans!!!) And yes I do live in the middle of a corn field. Literally. But every other year the farmers grow soybeans… so it gives us a different view. Though I will say, on my side of Iowa, we have some very lovely bluffs that style some very pretty views. Other than that, driving through the rest of Iowa is like… corn, corn, corn, corn… oh hey look, a tree. :p
            Facts about Iowa
            1) We own the largest gnome statue in the world
            2) During our fairs we crown “hog queens” (I know one of them personally)
            3) We’re home of the world’s largest Strawberry
            4) I’ve seen our Iowan “castle”
            5) Our capital is often mispronounced. (Des Moines)
            6) We hold tulip festivals in a place called Orange City
            7) Iowa is the home to the national hobo convention
            8) And John Wayne was born in Iowa

Well it may not be much, but it’s something. :p I was born in the tippy-top mountainous land of Idaho and lived there for two years. It’s the state with the most amazing waterfalls ever, but Iowa has become very dear to me. 🙂

https://rolenahatfield.com/

BlueJay
            @bluejay
              • Total Posts: 1622

@rolena-hatfield Wow! Which shows have you been to see? I have seen Joseph via DVD. (In fact I just watched it today! So awesome.) Which show did you audition for and who were you trying to get? I love to do Ruth of Joseph. Haha. If I ever do get in I will definitely let you know.
              Thanks for the facts about Iowa. They’re great. The largest gnome statue in the world??? I’d love to see that. And can I eat the largest strawberry? I looooove strawberries. You made my mouth water.

Rolena Hatfield
              @rolena-hatfield
                • Total Posts: 405

@bluejay The first I saw was Noah and then Joseph and lastly Jonah! Joseph is my all tops favorite so far because of the music and the actors were amazing! We own all the dvds available 🙂 And I’m very excited to see how Samson turns out!

I auditioned for Moses and for any role I could land! But I auditioned fairly late in the season, so I didn’t really think I’d have much of a shot, but the experience was definitely worth it. The most professional audition I’d had to put together so far. 🙂 Miriam is the best girl role in the show, she has a very beautiful musical piece.
                Have you been in any dramas? At church or a community theater? Sounds like you love to act! 🙂

https://rolenahatfield.com/

MarkMcGuire
                @markmcguire
                  • Total Posts: 22

Welp, I’m from Indiana too.
                  We have a lot of Amish half an hour away and awful roads.

BlueJay
                  @bluejay

@rolena-hatfield Did you see the Joseph in 2011 (or around then)?
                    I have been in three theatricals, getting the roles of Peter Pan (Peter Pan), a pirate (pirates of Penzance) and Aladdin (Aladdin). I have six siblings so we have put on some great home shows for Mum and Dad. And we did a talent show fundraiser which had acting too. That was a lot of fun. (So in case you haven’t figured out…Yes I love to act!!!) 😀
                    I really want to act in The Sound of Music one day, and naturally a Sight and Sound show. 😉

BlueJay
                    @bluejay

Come on guys! Don’t let this topic die now!!! 😮

Rosey Mucklestone
                      @writefury

*swoops in, swishing my cape* I shall save you, topic!
                        *stops and squints* Umm…
                        Okay! Any USA specific questions from you Aussies?

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

Also a question for the Aussies (@bluejay, @anna-brie) any of you care to explain what a drop bear is? 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

BlueJay
                          @bluejay

@writefury *Gasp* Oh boy! *Tehehehe* Tries to catch breath. *My knight in shining armour* Well done.
                            Um…Well for the recorded we have covered 12 states in the USA. *Gives yourselves a pat on the back*
                            As for questions…
                            Has anyone heard of Zach Hunter?
                            Has anyone been to see Mount Rushmore?
                            Do you have lots of writing competitions over there? I know of two here in Australia.

@hope
                            A drop bear is not a real creature. (according to google) I haven’t really explored it cause it doesn’t look that great. So I guess if you wanted more info you could just google drop bear. It kinda looks like a koala but fantasized.
                            We do NOT have creatures like that here in Australia. We have cute animals. Koalas, kangaroo. echidnas, Tasmanian Devils, lots of bird wildlife. Ok and a couple of not so cute. Snakes, foxes, (I know, not really Aussie) But Tasmania was home to the thylacine. (Tasmanian Tiger) Unfortunately it is now extinct. At least most people believe that. One person has said that they have seen one in the recent year or so. We also have the Callignee panther. (Callignee is the township where I live) I have never seen it. Although we might have seen it once. It was too fast for us to be certain. Thankfully it wasn’t near our home. (And just in case you’re interested, it is actually just a normal black panther)

Rosey Mucklestone
                            @writefury

@bluejay *stands and nods heroically while my cape flutters in the wind*
                              Okay, let’s see to the questions.
                              Zach Hunter…. um… he sounds vaguely familiar… *consults my good friend Google* Ah, I see. I’ve heard of him before, but he’s not really a huge thing around our area.
                              Mount Rushmore. MY GOSH THE MOST FRUSTRATING STORY EVER.
                              Have I been to Mount Rushmore? Yes. Have I actually seen Mount Rushmore? No.
                              We were on a road trip and reached our destination later at night. Mom looked up when the Mt. Rushmore park closed and it closed at 11:00pm. So we were like “Sweet, it’s only 9:15, let’s go.” We drive the half hour it takes to get there, park and get out. It’s empty, but hey, still open. We come up the dramatic walk with all of the lit up state flags, reach the end lookout point and stare majestically out at…
                              Darkness.
                              They turned the stupid lights off at 8:00.
                              We were able to get a vague view of Washington’s nose due to Dad’s flashlight, but that was about it.
                              God bless America.

Okay, and writing contests. Well, lots of online ones at least. Nothing you wouldn’t have access to. 😛 How big scale are you talking?

BlueJay
                              @bluejay

@write-fury Zach Hunter inspired me to run a fundraiser to help free slave children. The night was a great success and we raised $2,120. (Not sure what that is in American dollars)
                                Oh wow! That is so frustrating!!! I’ll make sure that if I ever make it to America (I’ve just got to one day, so I can meet you all 😀 ) I’ll go before 8:00
                                I’m trying to branch out with writing comps. And I only write short stories so I can’t compete against novelists. I guess the hardest part is the swapping Aussie dollars to USA money if it’s a pay to enter competition. It is a really weird change when it comes to that.
                                So I guess I’m willing/ready to look at anything and go from there.

BlueJay
                                @bluejay

@writefury Try again! 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 249 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >