@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic It's Just a Little Poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 11 months ago
@writefury— thank you! That helps. I see what you’re saying, definitely.
@Daeus… um… that’s a beautiful poem there, Daeus. 😛 😉 I… think I may see what you’re saying. I’ll take your word for it that it’s easy… it certainly doesn’t sound easy! 🙂
Yes! That’s one of the great things about Middle-earth. There’s poetry everywhere, and it…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic It's Just a Little Poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 11 months ago
Okay Daeus, thanks! Would you mind pointing out exactly where the lines were wrong?
No, I’ve not heard of a sestina. How does it work?
And I certainly know what you mean about working too hard on the rhyme. I used to think the only good poems were ones that rhymed properly, but now I know better. 😀By the way, how are you liking all the poetry…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Introducing The Scratching Quill in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Hm… you might try using a more visually appealing font for the text. Also you might consider designing yourself a logo (maybe just a cute little curly quill pen) that goes with the title.
Another thing that might be good is maybe you could make a light border on the left hand side of the page— very understated, not flashy or even really…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Let's Write A Poem in the forum Poetry 10 years, 11 months ago
That’s good— I like that. Hm… shall we polish it now? 😛
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic It's Just a Little Poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 11 months ago
Okay people. I have a poem I need your opinion on. I just wrote it in the last fifteen minutes, so it’s bound to have some mistakes in it, but here it is anyway.
The Coming Dawn
Long we have stood
In the shadow and mist;
Deep is the darkness
Around us.
Black is the night,
And hard is the road,
And cruel are the foes
That surround us.
Hard is our…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy and
Tatiana are now friends 10 years, 11 months ago -
Kate Flournoy posted an update 10 years, 11 months ago
@writefury I just wanna say congrats on winning the writing prompt again! I loved your submission— I never thought of taking the butterfly’s POV. You did great. I really enjoyed it. Especially that the butterfly’s name was Harold— I have an MC named that. 🙂
-
Thanks! 🙂 I felt a little bad about that actually… I’ve done something like this before (with the weekly prompt, word limit and all…) and I’ve won 2 of the 5 that have been done so far. If I win again I might drop out for a few weeks. 😛
Cool! Yeah, you mentioned that before. Actually, I named him Harold because I had a stuffed blue butterfly…[Read more]-
Awwwww… how SWEET!
No seriously, I used to have a little stuffed beanie baby puppy… sniff sniff… I named him ‘Pettum’ because I liked to pet ‘im. 😛I was a little younger then.
-
Aww… that’s actually not a bad name. 😉
I named my first baby doll “Bill”. It was dressed in pink and had big eyelashes and curly hair. XD-
Oh LOVELY. Poor tyke. 😛
-
-
-
-
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Let's Write A Poem in the forum Poetry 10 years, 11 months ago
‘Upon the things that I have seen; things of beauty, joy, and wonder’
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Love Stories in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
@Emma. That’s certainly a valid concern. I don’t like unrealistic, unhealthy, just peachy love stories either. However— keep in mind that you don’t have to have a ton of personal experience to write about something. Remember, Jane Austen wrote some of the most beautiful and popular love stories ever written, and she never married.
In reading…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Love Stories in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Hmm, first kiss before the wedding day. I don’t think it’s a sin, but at the same time I really like the idea of a first kiss on the wedding day, both in real life and in books I write. In one of my books, I have an engagement and the end and the MC kisses the girl’s hand. 🙂 Perhaps, after I’m married myself, I’ll go further in my own books. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Love Stories in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
@Rosey—yes, I agree. There should probably be in most cases a long prior acquaintance before anything gets serious. We covered this on the unrealistic romance topic, but I’ll say it again— we established that there is no such thing as love at first sight, only love and first acquaintance, and that is rare. It only happens when the two people…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Introducing The Scratching Quill in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
I love the ‘A Poem’ poem. (and I love the name of the blog too.)
Hmm, well, one thing that is just more personal taste…the blog could maybe be spiced up with a few pictures. You could have something cool that jumps out on the home page. And you could have photos with your stories and poems…I like to get pictures from Pinterest. The added…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Let's Write A Poem in the forum Poetry 10 years, 11 months ago
Good idea— you start. 😛
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Love Stories in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
One thing I love seeing in romances is when the brothers are protective…sometimes even over protective and give their sister’s suitor a hard time. 😉 I also like seeing the sacrifices of love, not just the emotional part of it.
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic Love Stories in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Okay, so with our topic about unrealistic romance, we covered a lot of what you shouldn’t do in a love story.
Now what about what we should do? What makes a love story a good love story, in your opinion?
Do you have any examples from literature of a love story done well?
What are some common steroetypes of love stories? Could they be twisted…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Let's Write A Poem in the forum Poetry 10 years, 11 months ago
Oops… I must have missed the ‘only four times’ rule. Sorry about that. Are there even enough poets on here to make that work, anyway?
But moving on.
‘Shall find their way through night and day’
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Introducing The Scratching Quill in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Wow, exciting for you, Daeus! I’ll definitely be keeping up with you. I’ve already glanced over several of the works you have up, and I was impressed.
The one thing I would consider adding to your blog, if it’s possible, is a comments option.
As it is, there are two things I noticed that I wanted to point out to you. My inner spelling Nazi is…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Old-fashion speaking in the forum Characters 10 years, 11 months ago
There you go, Daues. That’s better.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Old-fashion speaking in the forum Characters 10 years, 11 months ago
Talking to herself in first and second person…that doesn’t take 500 years. I do that already. 🙂 But I like the idea about her making up names for other things or mixing formal and informal speech. That could be funny. 😉
As for reversing speech…well, she can’t sound like Yoda. But I have her talk mix up wording a bit awkwardly sometimes…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Let's Write A Poem in the forum Poetry 10 years, 11 months ago
‘Our questions and our empty words’
- Load More
