Introducing The Scratching Quill

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Introducing The Scratching Quill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Hello Everyone,

I’ve told you I wanted to do this, but it was more than just a desire. For the past month or so I’ve been working on a website for my writing, and now it is finally up! The website is entirely dedicated to my poems, short stories, and (to come later) serial novels. I already have five poems up there, two short stories, and I plan to start a serial novel soon. I’ll be posting new things on there regularly, so if you wan’t be kept up to date, you can subscribe to my posts.

I just have a couple requests for you all. First and foremost, tell me what you think. You can do that here or through my contact form. Also, If there’s any of my works you really like, please share them with your friends (I have sharing buttons at the bottom of each post).

All that is to say, check this out. The Scratching Quill

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
      @daeus

I should also mention that the site is responsive (read “changes format for mobile devices so it is easy to use”).

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Wow, exciting for you, Daeus! I’ll definitely be keeping up with you. I’ve already glanced over several of the works you have up, and I was impressed.

The one thing I would consider adding to your blog, if it’s possible, is a comments option.

As it is, there are two things I noticed that I wanted to point out to you. My inner spelling Nazi is killing me.
          It’s not that bad, actually. It’s just that the poem you wrote called ‘Barren Boughs’ (beautiful poetry, by the way) had two misspelled words in it. First, barren was spelled with only one ‘r’, and where I think you meant to say ‘mourn’ you had ‘morn’. That’s all.

I’ll be keeping up with you, Daeus. Best of luck.

Daeus
          @daeus

Barren boughs has been updated. Thank you. I edit everything before it goes up, but my editing skills are – um, not good. I’ll be redoubling my editing vigor now.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
            @hope
              • Total Posts: 1092

I love the ‘A Poem’ poem. (and I love the name of the blog too.)

Hmm, well, one thing that is just more personal taste…the blog could maybe be spiced up with a few pictures. You could have something cool that jumps out on the home page. And you could have photos with your stories and poems…I like to get pictures from Pinterest. The added color is appealing to the eye, even though it might not add anything to the actual writing. And it shows up when you share the post on Google+, so it makes it look more interesting.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
              @daeus

Thanks for the input Hope and I’m glad you liked my poem. I don’t know if I’ll add pictures for the posts. It sounds like a hassle (especially if you are picky which pictures you use and making sure they are public domain). There would certainly be a benefit to that though, so I’ll think about it. Now that you mention it though, I really do need some pictures on my home page at least. I’ll try to get that done.

I’d like to hear more opinions on adding a comments section. I had originally taken them off to avoid clutter, but if you all think it would be better to put that back in, I might just do that.

By the way, I wen’t ahead and added sharing buttons for Pinterest and LinkedIn.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma
                @emma
                  • Total Posts: 40

Lovely. *goes to check out the thing*

Rolena Hatfield
                  @rolena-hatfield
                    • Total Posts: 405

That’s super neat! I liked what I read so far. Can’t wait to see more!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Amanda Fischer
                    @wordfitlyspoken
                      • Total Posts: 79

Seconding what the others said about a little color or something, as it is somewhat of a plain design.

And I like the “A Poem” poem! 🙂

Daeus
                      @daeus

Yeah it is a plain design, but what is there is pleasant. It feels comfortable. Of course, I want to do all I can to make it better. So does anyone have any suggestion for making it more eye grabbing? Pictures would work, but like I said, I’m picky about my pictures and I’m also concerned about copyright. Is there a way I can get around this? Are there other ways of making the site more appealing?

By the way, I’m trying to reactivate the comments section, but I’m having some problems. Hopefully I’ll get things fixed soon.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

Hm… you might try using a more visually appealing font for the text. Also you might consider designing yourself a logo (maybe just a cute little curly quill pen) that goes with the title.

Another thing that might be good is maybe you could make a light border on the left hand side of the page— very understated, not flashy or even really terribly noticeable, but something to give the viewer a visual boundary so it doesn’t look quite so flat and perfectly businesslike. It could just be a blue ribbon of color, if you wanted.

And this is just a matter of personal opinion, but maybe you could spice up the colors a little bit by adding some understated contrasting colors somewhere. Burgundy, or even brown, to offset the blue and make the overall visual more striking and pleasant.

Good luck with the comments— I do not envy you your task of setting it straight. 😛

Daeus
                          @daeus

Thanks Kate, those are good suggestions. I’m not quite sure what you mean by a border on the left side of the page though. Could you explain?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

Just a line of color— a stripe running down the left side, maybe with a few understated feathery looking designs on it, like a picture frame. It probably should be no wider than the width from the left edge of the page to the edge of the white box that says ‘Home: Welcome to the Scratching Quill’.

Does that make sense?

Daeus
                              @daeus

Oh yes, I see. A picture frame, that makes perfect sense. That would make it really nice. It would be hard though. I’d have to find a seamless design and then do some programing (read have my dad do some programing which he has little time for). It might (would) be easier just to run a simple stipe down the side. I might make it gradient for a nicer affect. I like the idea of a burgundy offset. That could work.

I might see if fiver can make me a logo too. We’ll see.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
                                @sarah-h
                                  • Total Posts: 669

@Kate,
                                  “Also you might consider designing yourself a logo (maybe just a cute little curly quill pen) that goes with the title.”
                                  How do you design a logo? My brother and I are creating a website, and we want to have our own emblem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >