@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Okay, so we have a lot of material to work with. Please, anyone feel free to join in.
Unless you don’t like these kind of exercises, in which case feel free to sit on the sidelines and laugh up your sleeves while I and whoever else so chooses make fools of ourselves. 😛
So. Walter. What do we mean by charming and mesmerizing? Is it his smile?…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Snakes and spiders! Yikes… I know one person that would be harmed by that! Permanently. Me. 😉
But in all seriousness, you have good points, Rolena. I agree. I have no scenes where the ‘good guys’ are torturing anybody… well, one kinda good guy that you don’t really like until later and who definitely still has some problems.
But you’re…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Hmm, that’s a good point. And no, I don’t have any interrogation scenes; well, I have one where a bad guy is running the interrogation, but the scene doesn’t go into details.
As to mental manipulation I’m thinking along the lines of keeping a prisoner on bread and water with the promise of food and riches if they give information (though that’s…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Hmm, that’s a good point. And no, I don’t have any interrogation scenes; well, I have one where a bad guy is running the interrogation, but the scene doesn’t go into details.
As to mental manipulation I’m thinking along the lines of keeping a prisoner on bread and water with the promise of food and riches if they give information (that’s not…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Words: need. my. words. back. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
The Ezra Wilkinson System instead.
Write.
It’s highly simple, but it works wonders.I think I’ll stick with this method…with the addition of self-imposed deadlines that keep me working even when I hate every word. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy posted an update 10 years, 10 months ago
@writefury congrats again! I really enjoyed your prompt. ‘Repeated shoplifting of Skittles…’ so fun. We got a really cool prompt for this week, didn’t we? It made me think of Hornblower. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Words: need. my. words. back. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Ahem. *Pushes reading-glasses up bridge of nose, presses lips together primly.* How may I be of service?
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Sickly Characters? in the forum Characters 10 years, 11 months ago
You could also show how she deals with the pain; she might have developed some interesting quirks…things she’ll do or not do that health people wouldn’t think twice about. Maybe she doesn’t like leaving home or going more than a certain distance outside. Maybe she has an imaginary friend she talks to and plays with since she can’t always play…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
@writefury Billions…yes, I do believe you’re right. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Okay. Good plan.
Are we outlining a full fledged story, or just as far as it pertains to Walter’s development? I’m cool with either one.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Oooh— what kind of magic tricks?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Amen!
Everybody.There are a lot of ideas on this topic, some of which may or may not be correct. I’m glad that we can all work together, even with our minorly opposing viewpoints, and try to find a solution for all this. It’s so refreshing that even though a lot of us disagree, we can still carry on a polite conversation.
And I agree that the…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Despite tentatively agreeing with my own proposition above, that doesn’t mean I think it’s the final answer. Or that I’d support or use torture. But that’s the only case where I might let a good character use it.
I do agree that the ends do not justify the mean, however, which brings us back to the original question…would inflicting pain in…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Yes, it’s very grey in some areas isn’t it?
That’s a good quote, by the way.In regards to the ‘treating your neighbor as yourself’, what if your neighbor is a criminal? Obviously you should turn him in— obviously you should see that he comes to justice, even if that’s not what you would want someone else to do to you. How does that qualify as…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
That makes sense. I agree. I can’t find any flaws in the logic… that may just be me though.
@Ezra-Wilkinson? Logic Master? We need you.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
millions of blue blistering barnacles!
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
millions of blue blistering barnacles!
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Proposition: It would be fine for a good guy to use torture on a bad guy who was breaking laws of combat/morality to find out information to stop such breaking of laws. Let me explain. In battle, generals on both sides might interrogate prisoners to discover what the enemy is doing. But in simple combat, I don’t think it would be right for a good…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Scene Critique -Transition in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 11 months ago
The little part in brackets towards the end is what you are asking about, right? Well, here’s my opinion for whatever it’s worth.
That part does sound a little clique. From what I see of Mairi’s character, I think her permission should be a little more reluctant. You wrote Your mother made me promise not to tell anyone, including you. I am…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Yes! tell us how it goes. 😉
- Load More

Thanks, Kate! 😀 I got the idea because the guy on the left looked like he was wearing a mask. Though asking my siblings, apparently I was the only one who saw it. 😛
Yeah, this next one’s going to be fun! Interesting, the details… did you notice that the guy is wearing a suit and tie? But yet that’s the hull of a wooden boat and his hands are…[Read more]
Ooh… I didn’t notice the suit and tie. I noticed the wooden boat and the ropes, though…
I’m going to have fun with this one.
I mean I always do, but some more than others. 😀