@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
I like the Dragon’s Claw. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Oh good! I’m glad to hear it was well done. Something like that done ill would be very destructive. I applaud anyone who can tackle such a job and come out on top. 😛
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
A week or two ago I finally got Eli by Bill Myers. I wasn’t sure about the idea (a parallel universe with Jesus coming in modern day instead of 2000 years ago, but the book was wonderful. It was well written, very powerful, and dealt with the retelling of Jesus’s life masterfully. If you have a chance to read the book, I’d highly recommend it.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Scene Critique— Please in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 10 months ago
Don’t worry— it doesn’t really hurt Harold. He’s gotten used to it.
And used to being called that. 😉
And I’m glad you like it— I actually went to a fair bit of trouble to come up with a dramatic nickname for him that didn’t sound… well… comic-bookish. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Scene Critique— Please in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 10 months ago
Thank you @writefury! I did sort of do that on purpose— Dallan can’t resist rubbing Harold’s nickname in his face every chance he gets, but maybe I should have made that more obvious or taken it out altogether. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Scene Critique— Please in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 10 months ago
Thank you Daeus. 🙂
I didn’t realize until I posted how long the scene was— sorry to give you such a substantial chunk all at once. 😛The one thing you need to know about Dallan is that he only worships Dallan. If Dallan can further his own interests by saying anything and doing anything, he will, no matter what it is he has to do. He does…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic Scene Critique— Please in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 10 months ago
I have a scene I would like feedback on. Specifically, if either of the characters seems inconsistent. There’s a lot of backstory here, so a few statements may seem rather vague, but all in all I think it pretty well explains itself.
It’s the middle of the night in an army encampment.Here it is.
“Harold? Harold, is that you?”
Harold jumped and… -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic HELP!!! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
What do you guys think of ‘Children of Memory’ or ‘Generations of Remembrance’? Nothing’s final— I’m still working, but I want your opinion.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Haha!
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Inter-genre Island in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Arianwen: *follows with hand on hilt of hidden knife*
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Hahaha! My siblings are tough ones. They found literally every jump-rope in the house and wrapped them all ’round and around me until I looked like some sort of… mummy or something. It took me about seven minutes to wriggle free. I’m afraid I fail as Samson. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Yes! I may have to write that someday… notice I’m pointedly vague about when ‘someday’ will happen. 😛
The story could have a co-MC in an aspiring police inspector whose assignment it is to find this terrifying hobby monster and bring him to justice. -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Introducing The Scratching Quill in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Yes! Definitely. I love the logo. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
You know you’re a writer when you let your little siblings tie you hand and foot to a dining chair ‘just so you can know what it feels like’.
Seriously. Do this. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
I just had this incredibly random thought I had to share.
What if we have a protagonist with a tragic background that has made him distrustful of people, so he turns to things for companionship— specifically, art. What if we have a shy, tragic art collector whose mission it is to go around saving great pieces of art from those who don’t value…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy posted an update 10 years, 10 months ago
@daeus love the logo you have now on http://www.thescratchingquill.com/ ! It’s very casually professional. 🙂
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Inter-genre Island in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Anna: “I don’t prefer any thought of dying, but we don’t actually know if anyone is in the house. If someone is, it’s as likely to be a monster as a person in this place, but if we’re going to look, let’s get it over with. And please keep your weapons ready.” *looks over shoulder as she starts for house* “I just have a dagger.”
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Inter-genre Island in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Arianwen: *furrows brow in troubled frown* “And risk his wrath?” *glances at Quinn uncertainly* “If such is your wish, my lord. But I have only my knife remaining to me— how if he should attack us? And what of the legions of thralls my Lord Rameaux suspects him to command? If he is an enemy, we might as well walk into a wolf-lair armed only with…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
🙂
I think a good thing to use as a driving force for a messed up protagonist would be peer pressure. Yeah, okay— preach, Kate, but really. You guys think peer pressure only exists today? No— people were still people back then, you know. 😛
Imagine a count or countess succumbing to peer pressure— all their influence would be thrown into…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Inter-genre Island in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Arianwen: *sets mouth grimly* “A sorcerer? I have heard of these men of power. They are wholly and utterly evil. I have no strength against them— they have long disappeared out of my land, and are now only an evil rumor of memory. Have we stepped into the past?”
- Load More

Thanks. It’s all Fiverr.