@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Basically, in the middle of the book, Anna needs to discover more about Enigma, and she’s also involved in intelligence work with the Christians and to help the rebels. I just need to figure how she does these various things. And how/why her father should die.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
The theme of the story is trusting in God; that God is enough even if you lose everything. As for the climax…still working on it. Though I think it has to do with her father dying (it’s at this point, probably, that part of her internal conflict is resolved). Then the climax will probably be with Anna and a small group having to hold off the…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann started the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
I’m having a hard time figuring out the middle of the second book of my trilogy. The first book has to do with Anna regaining her true memories and a rebellion starting against the oppressive government (this is set in America 200 years in the future). In the second book, Anna and others both take part in the rebellion (which spans the rest of…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Giving characters contrasting qualities can be humorous. A bad guy who corrects everyone’s grammar. Or a hero who is terrified of mice. Or a judge who likes puns but can’t laugh at them in public because he needs to keep a dignified picture of himself.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Caricature’s the word then, hm? Caricature and exaggeration. 😉
So in the case of comedy (correct me if I’m wrong) every rule of serious, emotional writing is completely irrelevant.
Let me give an example.
Let’s say we have a male protagonist who’s afraid of the dark. If he gets shut in a dark cellar in a serious, realistic novel, he’ll be…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Thanks guys! I haven’t glanced over those links yet, Amanda, but I will when I find time. I’m a little short of that… 😛
Those are some great tips, Daeus! I’d not thought of it like that before… situation mattering as much as character… hm…
What about exaggerating characters? How far can you (should you) go? Are there rules, or does…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Okay, so I’m putting this in the novel ideas forum because I have a novel idea that happens to be a comedy. 😉
Up until now, I’ve only written very serious, intense, realistic stuff, but I want to try something different.
So I was wondering if anyone here has any tips on writing comedy.I’m generally a pretty comedic person, but when it comes to…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy and
Ivy Rose are now friends 10 years, 9 months ago -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Oh my goodness @Rolena! So tragic! 😉
All of those sound pretty creative to me, @Ivy-Rose. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Protagonists:
Ethaniel
Anna WestSecondary Characters:
Levi Hawthorne
Nathan Flint Key
Sean Lindstrom
Jether
Jagger
SilvaraVillians:
Jasper Cornelius Wyss
Kagan Trent -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Why would you kidnap a little girl? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
That would be great about the guy being part of the gang, @Joy-Schmidt! I would totally read that.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Why would you kidnap a little girl? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Well there are several options here, and some of them may not apply, but a few things that came immediately to mind are:
(1) To hold her hostage— I am assuming the older sister is in some way important, so they might want to manipulate her into doing something for them by holding her little sister against her.
(2) Are they a thief organization?…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Haha that’s funny, I had a villain named Mr. Burton too! He was a land agent…
I have so many characters and so many names it would take for-ev-er to list them all, but a few of my favorites are as follows. I’m only going to list historical fiction ones to save time.
Minor Characters:
Button Smallwood (Police Inspector)
Corrie (Cornelius)…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Ooh, I just thought of another favorite messed up protagonist.
Ebenezer Scrooge.
Seriously, I’m not joking. 😛
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Book Marketing Webinar in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I attended the webinar; I learned a lot and thought it was really good. Thanks for bringing it up, @Daeus.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
Thank you Sarah. I really enjoyed this discussion.
I believe I have stated all my arguments, and furthermore I believe each and every one of them was Biblically and logically sound, as I tried to explain. I may perhaps have failed to come across on some points, but I don’t know how to state them more clearly.So thank you. God bless! 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Inter-genre Island in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Absolutely. 😛
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Inter-genre Island in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy Wonderful dramatic end. It made me laugh. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Inter-genre Island in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
*giant tsunami crashes over island, sweeps it all away* The end. 😛
- Load More
